I'm surprisingy engaged by a mobile game, of all things.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
With the last month or so being a bit light on major games I was really wanted to play, the only thing I really had to look forward to for the last half of june and early half of july was Fate: Grand Order, a mobile game based on the "fate" series of anime and games that are hugely popular in japan.

Now, I knew I was going to like it well enough, already. I'm a shameless fanboy of the fate series. Fate/zero is in my top 3 favorite anime of all time, and the series' premise of summoning famous figures from world history and mythology, with surprisingly subtle details to their designs and abilities, makes it fairly intriguing to people with a passing interest in either subject. I love both, so sign me the hell up. Me and Cu Chulainn are gonna paint the town red, bro!

The thing is, though, there are plenty of freemium app games I've bought out of sheer fanboyness in the past. Fire Emblem's app, Tales' series app, Simpsons' app... however, while they were passingly decent time wasters, I never got particularly invested in them. The skinner box design means the games intentionally designed themselves to only really be playable for a few minutes at a time, a few times a day and the developers were clearly told to work more on making them feel compulsive, rather than fun.

Fate GO isn't entirely devoid of these problems, but it has a much, much stronger focus on story than any other freemium game I've ever played, which goes a long way to help it be appealing. Likewise, it uses a turn-based combat system that is far from the most advanced or deep thing you'll ever find, but it IS at least complex enough to have a variety of strategies available, and to reward building teams with certain goals in mind. There's no pvp element, so it's not a pay-to-win, though servants who have better growth rates and stats (as well as servants who are more appealing to the whole "waifu crowd) are rarer than more generic ones... so it's a... pay-to-waifu game, I guess?

It launched yesterday night, and I've already put 8 or so hours into it... the only other mobile game I ever had this much fun with was Fallout shelter... which led me to wonder.

So, escapist community, my simulacrum of a healthy social circle who shares my interests, my encounter with the game led me to wonder 3 things:

1.) Anyone else here played FGO? If so, what did you think?

2.) Can anyone recommend me similar rpg mobile games?

3.) anyone else ever encountered a freemium game that they found surprisingly engaging?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Hasn't fate/GO been out for like 2+ years already? Yeah it's great. I love all the evolved forms of the followers,and the story is of course by Nasu. You might wanna check the anime OVA based on it if you just discovered it. The game is deep because it was intended to be an MMO originally but they turned it into a phone game mid-way through so they already had a lot of mmo-tier content to work with.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
Hasn't fate/GO been out for like 2+ years already? Yeah it's great. I love all the evolved forms of the followers,and the story is of course by Nasu. You might wanna check the anime OVA based on it if you just discovered it. The game is deep because it was intended to be an MMO originally but they turned it into a phone game mid-way through so they already had a lot of mmo-tier content to work with.
It made its official english release last night, albeit only for the US and Canada! Thanks for reminding me about the OVA. I only found out Go was a thing back in april, and by then it had already been confirmed for a US release, so I figured I'd bite the bullet and wait a few months. Avoided the OVA in case of spoilers, which was hard, because the memes about Cu actually getting to not suffer for once were already making their rounds, raising my interest. XD

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Japan mastered the art of gacha mobile gaming because unlike western ones where no amount of spending will get you a t1 event reward. The freemium plateaus at a certain point with everything after the plateau being pure vanity

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
I play a lot of Final Fantasy: Record Keeper. Very free-to-play friendly, the game has regular events that give out Mythril almost like candy. The gacha mechanic is rather forgiving now that when you make an 11x pull (50 mythril as opposed to a single pull worth 5), you're guaranteed at least one 5* piece of gear.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
You know I expected this to be a rant about Tap Titans 2. Because I am part of the TT2 community and that game is a shit storm right now.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
FGO has been fun so far, I've been on ez mode since my fist pull was a 4 star emiya (why is a series protagonist only 4 stars) and Elisabeth Bathory lancer (Loli version), so I am only limited by the low energy cap at the moment. Overall I am enjoying it, I got bored of FE heroes fast as the strategy was just too simplistic, but grand order seems a litttle deeper so far. Story isn't bad, it's your standard anime story in many ways, including silly cliches, but it's certainly more complex than most games in this genre though

As for other Gacha games I would recommend Final fantasy brave exvius, they are having their one year event in a couple days that comes with a free 5 star summon and a bunch of other stuff, good time to start. The game plays like a traditional final fantasy battle system with story mode and weekly events that let you unlock a massive range of FF and original characters so I've got my team of Noctis, and Gilgamesh as my main units mixed with some other max star original units. Gonna be pulling hard on the upcoming FF X banner to get rikku so I can finally build a good support character.

Let me know if anyone wants my user ID for friends list crap, I'm not a whale but I tend to plink away at these types of games fairly often

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I never really moved past considering mobile games as time-killers while waiting in line or riding the bus.