I'm thinking about getting a gaming PC next year

CitrusLover

Oct 28, 2011
As the title suggests, I am thinking of purchasing and/or building a gaming PC maybe next year or so.

Would you kindly make a list of games that I should definitely consider if I do obtain one. Keep in mind I have been on consoles my entire gaming life and have not experienced any PC games (apart from a few minutes of Deus Ex).

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Play Crysis and The Witcher 2 to test out how powerful your PC is. If it explodes, it's not good enough.

I'd also recommend FarCry 1 (and 2 if you want the best experience of it), and some Valve games (like Left4Dead 2, TF2, Portal/Portal 2). Also, just browse the indie games.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
Also get the Elder Scroll games.
Skyrim + mods is amazing and the Skywind mod will give you an entire game extra (Morrowind converted to the Skyrim engine).

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Well if you're into everything, guess I'll just recommend my personal favourites from the gog site.

First of all, I consider this series pretty much mandatory for any rpg fan: Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2. In my mind Biowares finest work to date and the pinnacle of what an rpg should strive to be. Solid narrative, great characters, surprisingly vibrant 2D artwork even today, entertaining tactical combat, absolutely massive open world... I seriously can't think of any real major flaws in the series. It's absolutely brilliant. And then when you consider there are mods out there which combine BG1 and 2 into one cohesive game as well as improve and tweak the experience towards perfection, then really you just can't get any better. Though other rpg try such as...

Planescape: Torment. You might've heard of this game and there's good reason for that. Bluntly put this game has by far the best fantasy story and one of the most unique styles and setting in any game, regardless of genre, ever. It's not disputable, it's fact. In terms of story, setting and character Planescape: Torment is one of the most in-depth and provocative games ever made. If only the combat and the basic gameplay mechanics were more solid it'd probably be my number 1 pick for rpg ever. But as it is it comes a close second, which considering how many rpg I've played, is still damned impressive methinks.

Stepping a bit away from pure rpg we've got the absolutely spectacular Heroes of Might and Magic 3. It's a hard game to describe to someone that might not be familiar with this sort of game, so I'll just say it's brilliant and that everything this game does, it does exceptionally well. This is another of those 'I can't think of any real flaws' sort of games, so much so that despite being well over ten years old, I've introduced this game to kids who hadn't even been born when it came out and seen them enjoy it! Now that's the sign of a solid, long lasting experience!

If you wanna give the old Point & Click classic PC adventure games a try, my personal favourite is The Longest Journey. Despite all the gushy mushy love I just gave to Planescape above, this is the game which in terms of story and character really stole my heart. Planescape is deeper, more in-depth and covers a number of more touchy subject but The Longest Journey... well, it's got soul. The main protagonist is my favourite of any game and her journey throughout the games length is enthralling. It's like a really, really nice book for me that I like to re-read every once and awhile for that fuzzy warm feeling of nostalgic happiness. Even nostalgia wont blind me to the shit puzzles and gameplay, but screw that, use a walkthrough if you have to. The story is worth it in my mind!

And as a final suggestion for something more actiony if that's you're thing: Freespace 2. The space sim that was so good it killed the genre... or at least I like to think so. Simply put the story is solid but the gameplay so awesomely intense that you'll be suffering from shellshock and probably need to have your fingers pried from the joystick (I bought a force-feedback joystick exclusively for this game. So worth it!) with a pair of pliers when it's done. Not only that, but of all the games I just listed, this is probably the easiest to get into since a couple of years ago the developers released the games source code online, and as a result the community has been improving the engine ever since to such an extent that it still looks fantastic today. This game is so good at what it does it's become an entire genre unto itself, with so many mods and even total conversion that buying this game is like buying the last ten years worth of amazing space sims all in one. I kid you not!

And there you go! Between those five games (Technically 6 since there's 2 BG games!) that's enough PC gaming goodness to keep a normal human occupied for... hell, well over a year especially if they take the time to play the games fully and explore the communities which have sprung up around each game.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
There's a whole galaxy of indie and free PC games waiting for you to explore, way more than I could ever list. Just head over to Steam and go nuts.

Examples to consider checking out would be stuff like Terraria, Starbound (which just came out recently), Prison Architect, Gone Home, Eldritch, The Stanley Parable.... like I said, there's a lot.

I don't know what your tastes are so it's impossible to say if you'd like any of these. Maybe it would be useful if you list your favourite genres and we could work from there?

eimatshya

Nov 20, 2011
For strategy, I would recommend either Civilization IV with mods (there are tons, and the modding community has spent years adding to the game; I personally play with the Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn mod, but there are plenty of options available at http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143) or Civilization V. I personally prefer Civ IV + Expansions & with mods to Civ V and it's expansions, but both are good games.

You could try Dark Forces if you want to try a mid 90s shooter from back before shooters became a linear succession of corridors and chest high walls.

Keeping up the retro theme, if you've played any of the Elder Scrolls games, you might try Daggerfall. You can get it free from Bethesda's website and run it through Dosbox. It might be kind of interesting to get a feel for the series' roots (Arena was first, but Daggerfall was a huge part of my childhood, so that's the one I'm recommending).

Likewise, if you've played any of the new Fallout games, you might be interested in trying Fallout or Fallout 2 (although the gameplay is completely different from Fallout 3 and NV, so your threshold for turn based combat will be key here (I recommend you crank up the combat speed in the options menu as battles with a lot of people become very slow otherwise)).

Most of the modern PC games I play all have console versions, so they wouldn't be PC exclusives.

*EDIT*

Oh, yeah:

Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines is also a personal favorite. I'm not particularly into vampires, but my then girlfriend was, so I got it as something she might be interested in trying, and I ended up loving it. The game has it's flaws (towards the end you pretty much have to use combat to solve everything, which is problematic if you'd been focusing on stealth or persuasion), but it does such a great job of building atmosphere, that none of its short comings seemed to matter. Also, there are some great mods for it (e.g. the Camarilla mod) to make the experience even more engaging.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
you should check out Kenshi I belive it has a demo but its an awesome game that couldnt be done on console also mount and blade warband is one of the greatest pc games of all times and modded its gets better kenshi is still in early alpha but it has tons of potenial
sins of a solar empire is also good and has a few great mods
and then you have the elder scrolls and fallouts both are great

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
TEAM FORTRESS 2 is awesome and free try it you may like it. if it hasn't been mentioned yet it will be soon mount and blade is amazing. and ill also second a few i saw already mentioned terraria and vampire the masquerade bloodlines are good games give them a shot. some other general advice if there's a game you only kinda want wait for a steam sale you will kick yourself the first time you see a game listed for 75+% off after having just bought it full price.oh and download steam. you should also bookmark the humble bundle website and check in occasionally, there's deals to be had.

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
Well, the first thing you need to pick up is Civilization V. That is one of the apex's of modern PC gaming. Other games you need are Fallout 3 or NV and Skyrim. You might have played them on consoles but its a totally different experience on PC with the inclusion of mods (and don't worry, modding is easy). Others are going to be Star Citizen (limited beta will be released next year that will have all the main functions of the game), Starcraft 2, Company of Heroes, Amnesia and the Total War games.

Also, just a recommendation go to the subreddit r/buildapc and just say 'I have X amount to spend, what's the best PC I can build' and someone will set you up with the best possible rig.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I'm a big fan of the Total War franchise so if you like strategy you might want to try out one of those. Amnesia: The Dark Descent, as I'm sure you heard, is brilliant and one of the best horror games in a long time. As for shooters maybe get Counter Strike seeing as its a PC staple. Also the Metro games are tons of fun and will push your new rig pretty hard. Other than that I agree with a lot of the people in this thread. I'm playing the Witcher 2 (and Black Flag, and Lego LOTR, and Rome II Total War... and I got Outlast and Just Cause 2 during the Autumn sale.. oh christ) and it's a ton of fun too. Great fantasy story and characters.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Country
Australia
Billy D Williams said:
Also, just a recommendation go to the subreddit r/buildapc and just say 'I have X amount to spend, what's the best PC I can build' and someone will set you up with the best possible rig.
Or just ask in the advice forum here and the resident techheads will do it.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Evonisia said:
Play Crysis and The Witcher 2 to test out how powerful your PC is. If it explodes, it's not good enough.
Eeeh. Neither are significant benchmarks any more. Crysis 1 is 6 years old after all (though it's still one of the best looking games ever made). But they won't tax a new system. Heck, my middling pc from 2 years ago runs Crysis on max just fine.

Crysis 3 is much closer to a real benchmark. But if you really want to tax a PC, PlanetSide2 is probably the biggest resource hog out there. While my current rig can play Crysis 3 on mid-high detail with a constant 30+ fps, large battles in PlanetSide2 tank my framerate to below 15 at times on the lowest possible settings. And as far as I could tell, it's fairly balanced between cpu and gpu load.

And, of course, there's StarCitizen to look forward to, but that won't be out for a while (though you can still check out the Hangar Module, if you want to drool over a little PC eye candy)

As for what to play... Well, play Deus Ex, for starters. It's an amazing game.

Various MMOs and RTSs come to mind. Heck, WoW is still a great game, especially for new-comers, even if a lot of people are burned out on it by now (though depending on when you'll get a PC, Wildstar might come out, which seems like a straight improvement on the WoW formula, so you should probably get that instead)

Starcraft is, of course, a great RTS, with probably the best RTS single-player campaign to date (this goes for the expansion as well, despite the cheesy story)

Stuff like Dota2 or League of Legends is free (though they are both pretty difficult to get into, by nature such games are very complex and have quite the learning curve). Or Smite might catch your interest, the 3rd person camera will feel much more familiar and from what I've heard it's developed into quite a good game.

Shogun2: Total War is a great game (the newest iteration of the series, Rome 2 is a buggy mess with awful AI, so I can't really recommend it. Maybe by the time you get your PC they patch the hell out of it, or more likely release an expansion that fixes the issues.). Regardless, you should really try a Total War game, they are a great combination of turn-based grand strategy with large scale, RTS battles.

And speaking of grand strategy, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Civilization 5 + add-ons. Quite fantastic turn based grand strategy.

This really only scratches the surface, there are so many great indie games and AAA games to chose from, and it really boils down to a matter of taste.

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
RhombusHatesYou said:
Billy D Williams said:
Or just ask in the advice forum here and the resident techheads will do it.
No offence to our guys here but I've found that the guys over there are a little more up to snuff. They're fucking fanatics over there lol.