Im tired of "Better Graphics" being a major argument of PC vs. Console

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Stainlesssteele4 said:
nding, etc)

Multiple Control Inputs & Customization: Every PC games' controls can be customized, where as only some console games can be.
I've seen several people ***** about multiple games in the last year or so, AAA games, without keybinding options.

Even my small PC gaming collection includes games that don't allow control options.

"Always" is not even remotely true.

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Stainlesssteele4 said:
nding, etc)

Multiple Control Inputs & Customization: Every PC games' controls can be customized, where as only some console games can be.
I've seen several people ***** about multiple games in the last year or so, AAA games, without keybinding options.

Even my small PC gaming collection includes games that don't allow control options.

"Always" is not even remotely true.
Name a game. I guarantee the controls can be modified via the config or ini files. I didn't say it had to be through the game, but every game can be modified.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
So we're on the Escapist, one of the places where a common refrain among 360/ps3 users that criticizes the Wii is graphics but, when it comes to PC vs 360, the graphics argument suddenly becomes old and tired.

Wow. Simply...wow.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
In many cases, games locked to 30FPS on consoles will run at 60FPS on the PC, while having anti-aliasing and higher resolution textures.

This alone makes the PC version much better, so needing more reasons for the PC version to be superior is redundant.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Oh Jesus...

You know... Recently, there hasn't been any particular reason for people in the forums to start arguing over PC vs Console again. If this goes to shit, you brought this on yourself, sir.

Zhukov said:
Games are a visual medium. If I'm going to be staring at pictures for hours then I'd prefer those pictures to be more pretty rather than less pretty. If I have a choice between the less pretty version and the more pretty version then I'd prefer the latter, all else being equal.

But no, its isn't the hugest of deals. Your friend sounds like he's being a bit of a prat. Although that could be said of anyone who spends significant amounts of energy arguing about which gaming platform is better. (Notice how it's always the one they personally use. Funny that. It's almost as if they were trying to justify their own purchase come hell or high water rather than evaluate its comparative merits.)
Also, this. First comment and it sums up my feelings on your story perfectly. Should just end it here.

Dularn

Nov 7, 2006
- Faster load times
- Better graphics (including high res textures. better anti-aliasing and more world density)
- No disk (Sleeping Dogs uses steamworks)
- Moddable (maybe - I haven't checked)
- Cheaper (was $34 on greenmangaming)
- automatic updating
- smoother gameplay (higher fps, less slow down, less texture pop in)
- more control options (keyboard/mouse or gamepad)

For these reasons I would say the PC version is much better.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
I hate the better graphics argument, I mean I watch totalbiscuits WTF videos and I hate when he says that the frame rate is locked at 30 or that the resolution is low or that the textures are off low quality. I mean 99% if the time the game still looks good and runs smoothly, especially in his darksiders 2 review as the game was down right beautiful. Also I don't really care what I play my games on as long as I can use the input device of my choice (90% of the time controller).

Eddy-16

Jan 3, 2011
I always hear people, often on this website, saying that graphics don't matter at all and this is why older games are still good. So graphics don't matter, as long as its on PC?

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
To me, games have always been about fun. I'd rather play Metal Gear Solid over and over again than play any of the Crysis games.

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Bottom line fanboys will be fanboys. There are occasions where a game is genuinely better on a PC or on a console than visa versa but this is what most of it boils down to.

The main reason I like PC more than console is because I can upgrade little bits of it when I want rather than having to "upgrade" (ie buy a new console) for a whole lot of money at one time. And also because my personal preference is to game on a PC rather than a console.

Theres a lot of possible things to say about *this* vs *this* but basically it boils down to personal preference. And the contorversy is mostly just veiled fanboyism "Mine is better because it is. OK???".

Graphics are an easy target because its visual. If it wasnt that it would be something else. FPS, load times, blah blah blah. In the end if you enjoy playing a certain game on a console then play it and fuck whatever anyone else says.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Eddy-16 said:
I always hear people, often on this website, saying that graphics don't matter at all and this is why older games are still good. So graphics don't matter, as long as its on PC?
Older games aren't good because they look like shit. They are better because Deus Ex.

OT: I am tired of the argument that Earth revolves around the sun which those pesky scientists seem to bring up all the time. I told them i don't care because that info doesn't improve my life at all.

Moral of the story; get a decent PC. You will be happier for it.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
It's right at the end of a console generation, so it's only natural that the difference between new PC hardware and console hardware from half a decade ago gets more and more attention when the latter keeps cutting corners where the former has room to flail around with both arms wide out.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
PC advocates make it sound as if console graphics are bad. They're really not, I'm not going to be able to tell the difference between crisp and ultra-boner-inducing-crisp textures, and 30FPS is something I can cope with. Sorry to bring out 'Floyd's Law', but it's aesthetics over graphics that we should care about. Wind Waker looks fuckin' amazing even by today's standards, and that game is about 10 years old (and that's coming from someone who hates Nintendo)

More recent games actually look worse on my laptop which I poured a lot of money into it, but that was 3 years ago which is ancient thanks to technology, whilst my PS3 I bought in 2007 and everything looks and runs amazingly.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Graphics are one major advantage that PC has over console, and are the easiest to point out. Now, I say major in the sense that, when done properly, the gap between the two is massive, not that its the most important advantage or anything.

However, it is still important. Games are visual. If textures make my eyes bleed, like a number of ones in Skyrim and the ones I've seen from the Dark Souls PC port without the resolution fix, I'm not going to enjoy it as its painful to view. Now, maybe I have a higher threshold than many for what makes my eyes bleed, but generally if its excessively blurry and I either need to focus a reasonable degree more than normal to make out the details, or in some cases make them up by myself, its painful.

Note that this is mostly an issue in contrast with what the game tries to do. I don't mind Minecraft's original graphics. They don't hurt my eyes to play with, as that's what the game tries to look like, and it pulls it off. Dark Souls and Skyrim, and a number of other games try to look realistic or semi-realistic, and when there's a 512*512 texture taking up half of my 2560*1440 screen, it looks REALLY bad.

Of course, there are other reasons PC versions are better. Smoother gameplay and FPS, more precise controls with more potential options, mods, FAR faster loading times [SSD], far better multitasking [I can be looking up a guide online with Music playing through Itunes with a PDF open for instructions, and my emails open whilst I'm playing a system intensive game and not receive any significant lag, all on the one machine], Exclusives which spread beyond a couple of games to pretty much entire genres, such as RTS, MMO and 4X games which are rare on, and rarer done well on, consoles or hand held devices. Games are also generally cheaper on the PC, and dependent on the situation you're in they can be cheaper [For example, I'd have to buy a TV to play a console. I don't have to buy anything but a part or two every 8-10 years to play PC].

thepyrethatburns said:
So we're on the Escapist, one of the places where a common refrain among 360/ps3 users that criticizes the Wii is graphics but, when it comes to PC vs 360, the graphics argument suddenly becomes old and tired.

Wow. Simply...wow.
Yeah, IKR?
I remember pointing this out on about 3 to 4 threads discussing how useless the Wii was because it was less powerful than a console, yet that argument is redundant for PC vs Console?
A bit of a double standard there IMO.

Shadowstar38 said:
A slightly prettier picture isnt really a good enough argument for PC gaming to be superior. And really, that and the "FPS's are better" arguments are the only ones I've heard. spoken ad nauseum.
You really haven't been in many PC vs Console threads then have you?
Good thing really, as they generally become Shitstorms right from the OP, but there are a lot more arguments for PC over console than simple graphics and FPS, see many posts in this thread for examples thereof.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
bafrali said:
Eddy-16 said:
Older games aren't good because they look like shit. They are better because Deus Ex.

OT: I am tired of the argument that Earth revolves around the sun which those pesky scientists seem to bring up all the time. I told them i don't care because that info doesn't improve my life at all.

Moral of the story; get a decent PC. You will be happier for it.
Getting a better PC is a bit of a priority for me since it can only play low quality flash games without lag making it unplayable :(

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well the graphics are an easy and most objective escape goat to use, hell all new console marketings hinge on it.
The argument does overshadow the real benefits of PC gaming, which is options.

But at the same time the differences in graphical fidelity are getting pretty jarring as time passes, graphics might not be the most important thing but it does bother me when I'm paying top dollar for a game that looks like it came from 2005, and it's not like this means gameplay and content are that much better...

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Deviate said:
Oh, and where console gamers just have to bend over, grab their ancles and hope they're able to ride out the shitstorm, PC gamers can usually do something about retardation from game developers. Dead Island as an example. Came with downright stupid issues, damn near no proper customization and was basically a horribad release. Checked a forum I frequent and right enough, third-party customization applications everywhere. Even if you wouldn't trust one of those, you could still fiddle with the files yourself.

If it's broken... you can actually fix it, or someone else can and shares it with you. That just doesn't happen on consoles.
That's a tightrope walk, though; yeah, they can be fixed, but the knowledge of how modders can and will fix things and release their fixes for free can't have gotten past some of the larger publishers, it's kind of like how console releases are being released without proper bug testing and then being patched down the line when really they shouldn't even have been released with those bugs; publishers could easily use that as an excuse to rush-release.

It's a good thing to be able to fix it, but it shouldn't have to be down to modders to fix some of the more important issues.