I'm your mother and "I can do whatever I want" attitude

Kailat777

Oct 28, 2008
HG131 said:
A lot of stuff
You okay? You seem to be a bit... anti-parent.

At any rate, one of the arguments you have not addressed is that while her actions may have been inconsiderate, it is his bathroom she's cleaning. On top of that, judging by the topic title, he's upset about her attitude and her response to him, but you'll note that upon waking up he thanked his mother for 'waking him up'. That statement alone suggests he got an attitude first. Respect IS a two-way street, and it seems the issue here is that both parties are expecting respect to be given to them without being earned.

Shpongled

Apr 21, 2010
This thread is hilarious! Who knew there were so many white, middle class teenagers out there with such *horrible* parents!

Life is shit kids, and this is the best it's gonna get. Parents will annoy you, girlfriends will annoy you, wives will annoy you, bosses will annoy you, friends will annoy you, landlords are going to annoy you, the government is going to annoy you. May as well get used to it now.

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
Wow, you have some balls to say that. I pay her, so no. She'd at least have to give me a month's noticed since I paid. My attitude is wrong? Look in a mirror bub. God.
Actually unless you have a tenant contract or some other form of official tenancy...no, no she doesn't. She can kick you to the curb with all of 3 seconds notice if she fet so inclined. Hell she could ump all your shit on the sidewalk and all she'd have to worry about is the coucil fining her dumping it in the street and not in a landfill.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
I am awake at 7.30am and working by 9am...I do not feel sympathy for you. You don't wanna get woken up at 9am, then clean your bathroom the night before or simply keep it clean. If I disrespected my mum as sarcastically as you did from being woken up at a DECENT hour I would have copped a good morning slap and got told to suck it up.

SideburnsPuppy

May 23, 2009
Your mother probably thought that it would be nice for you to have a clean bathroom. Nine'o'clock is a fairly reasonable hour to be up. And cleaning yours first was a totally arbitrary decision. It's unrealistic for us to expect our parents to anticipate our every single need, and for all I know, the vacuum cleaner is nearest your room, so doing your room first was extremely convenient for her.

Moving onto the discussion value proposed by Marter: Nope, I have a really good relationship with my parents. My grandfather can be overly critical at times, but he's all-around a pretty good guy.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I have never had such problems with my parents. Sure, it annoys me when I'm in the middle of a game, and my mom comes in wanting to vaccum at a moments notice, but hell, I know when I want to get a job done, I hate waiting for someone else to get out of the way, and I think keeping the place clean takes somewhat of a priority to whether or not I have to be AFK for a few minutes. She could just as easily ask me to do it, and I'm terrible with vaccums (seriously man, the last time I was near a vaccum, I pressed a button, and the handle came off. Things just can't be as simple as one on/off switch anymore, can they?).

I have had problems with people who consider themselves older, and therefore instantly smarter. Especially when it comes to teachers. I would point out something that's just simple common sense, like when we've been given the wrong textbooks, and they'd act like I just slapped them in the face. Then there's the old people around town who look at me like I'm about to mug them, but when it comes to manners, I'll be the one saying "excuse me" and "thank you" and they'll be the ones just going down the street determined to never alter their straight-line path and thus forcing everyone else to get out of the way instead.

And BTW, dunno why but I feel compelled to comment on this, my parents try not to wake me up if I don't have to, as I normally have college, which, as well as forcing me to wake me up in the morning, tends to get me stressed, thus meaning I have to stay up till at least midnight to be tired enough to sleep well, meaning lay-ins when I don't have to go to college are mostly acceptable.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
ciortas1 said:
Stop whining, you rich sod with 3 bathrooms in one house.
Wow, the amount of people screaming, "you should have to suck it up because I'm poor and can't afford 3 bathrooms!" is astounding. Just because we have 3 bathrooms, doesn't make us rich, the jealousy here is absurd. So is the entire lack of courtesy.

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
HG131 said:
As I said in my earlier posts. It's not hard to sleep through a vacuum. I've slept through HAMMER DRILLING right below my bed.

Plus theres always earplugs or simply growing some balls and manning up. He got woken up ONCE. He's just being a whiny douchebag and probably listens to Justin "I have a vagina" Bieber.

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
ciortas1 said:
Stop whining, you rich sod with 3 bathrooms in one house.
Wow, the amount of people screaming, "you should have to suck it up because I'm poor and can't afford 3 bathrooms!" is astounding. Just because we have 3 bathrooms, doesn't make us rich, the jealousy here is absurd. So is the entire lack of courtesy.
I have 4 bathrooms, stables, giant polebarn, a creek and 80 acres of land. =)

So yes...you're whining like a little girl, get over it.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
jasoncyrus said:
It's not hard to sleep through a vacuum.
You just lost all credibility with that sentence, not to mention the personal attacks.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
While I agree that he doesn't have it too bad at all, the underlying concept that parents should show the respect to their children that they expect back from them is one sorely missed by many I think. However, sitting down to discuss this with parents is probably the best first move.

Jun 13, 2009
HG131 said:
The Maddest March Hare said:
It's 9am. You should be waking up by then anyway, it's hardly an early start. Don't quote me and tell me I know nothing about how much you do and to get off my high horse, you're putting yourself on a pedestal and the irony would be too much to bear.

Also, you live in a house with 3 bathrooms and have an en suite, and yet you complain just because you were woken up mid morning? Sheesh..

Common courtesy is all very well, and I might have agreed if she had come in to hoover at 7am or some other ungodly hour, but considering your current description of the event you don't have a leg to stand on.
For some, 9am is REALLY early. For a time there, it was 2 hours after I fell asleep. So open that mind of yours a bit.
Unless the person is waking nights or suffers from a disorder such as anxiety induced insomnia etc. then having a messed up sleeping pattern really isn't an excuse. I'm a University student, it's not unknown for me to be awake from 10am one day til 10 am the next then sleep for 15 hours or so (lectures permitting). That doesn't mean I don't see 9am as a mid morning start. I know that it is, and usually make an effort to wake up then or sooner.

My mind is completely open to new possibilities and viewpoints, but I also can see that OP makes no mention of working night shifts, and as such does not really deserve "common courtesy" of being left to lounge around in bed for hours just because it is a Saturday. Their mother didn't get a lie in, and she's doing the work he would have to do for him. I think his complaints are completely unjustified and that he comes off as spoilt.

Your point is valid but it doesn't change the fact that by 9am it's not unreasonable for a mother who has housework to do, to want to get it over and done with no matter whether her child is sleeping or not. As I said originally, if it was 7am I would have considered sympathising.

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
jasoncyrus said:
It's not hard to sleep through a vacuum.
You just lost all credibility with that sentence, not to mention the personal attacks.
A person loses credibility by stating a fact? Wow...all the scientists in the world have lost theirs a thousand times over then.

Doesn't change the fact that it is NOT hard to sleep through a person vacuuming and you are STILL QQing and whining like a bieberette whos just seen the shaved bieber addon.

Seriously. It's just vacuuming. Get over yourself already, it's not like she accosted you and shoved a strap on up your ass against your will is it?

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
The only thing worse than kids who disobey their good parents are people who assume that all parents are good and flame someone for complaining about their parents. These people are a rare breed of white knight who focus their efforts on parents instead of girls. You can tell that they're a White Knight if they merely flame and not post any sort of coherent argument.

I imagine this thread is full of the latter. But I'll add my story:

My mom always tells me what to do as I'm doing it, especially in public. If I'm cleaning my room, she will come in and tell me to clean my room. I have no idea why she does this, perhaps she feels like she's telling me what to do. When I bring this up she just falls back on the "I'm you mom you can't talk that way to me" defense. ITs really annoying when she tells me to do something I already did in public, and she'll say "good job for listening to me" as if I'm a bad kid she's shaping up. Then the strangers who are listening in will think that I'm a bad kid and if I try to argue with her in public, people will come in and say "she's your mom do what she says".