I'm your mother and "I can do whatever I want" attitude

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Let me start off by saying whenever you are dealing with people, a little fucking common courtesy is needed. Until said person proves he/she doesn't deserve respect, you should give them a little at the very least. This applies to everyone.

Now onto my story. My mother decides she should clean my bathroom and shower at 9 am this morning. This 9 am on a Saturday no less. During which she woke me up due to running the shower at full blast along with the tub/sink at random intervals. We have 3 bathrooms. Of which, mine is the ONLY one connected to my room and the one she decides she needs to "clean" first. All 3 bathrooms require cleaning, but despite knowing she has done this before, she does it again and cleans mine first.

When I woke up this morning, my first thought was "Who the fuck is in my shower at 9 am, and why is someone in my shower period". I open the door and thank my mother for waking me up and she gives me her typical "I can do whatever the hell I want because It's my house and I'm your mother". In addition, her tone was that 'how dare I question her'. Yes, no shit you can do whatever you want.

Common fucking courtesy it's called. Just because your my parent doesn't mean you should disrespect me, and anytime she does anything she knows annoys me, she pulls out this card. "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT." Yeah, I'm glad your busy proving that to yourself by annoying your children. Just because you can doesn't mean you should as the saying goes.

Running the shower and such wasn't even all the problem, she also decided to vacuum as well. There is literally no reason for her to have done any of this while I was sleeping. None of my other family was asleep and she could have easily cleaned their's first and I would have been awake by the time she got around.

I'm a bit tired and fucking pissed, /rantoff.

Edit: @Everyone. Stop assuming I do no work and I'm a lazy "teenager". You have no idea if I pay rent to stay over here or how much work I actually do, This whole issue is about common courtesy, not how much work I do or do not do.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
First off, you should be awake by 9AM. :p

Seeing as how there isn't much discussion, I'll make some:

Do you have parents that act without common courtesy?

I've had to deal with that attitude for the last couple of years with my step-father. Without going into to much detail, (trust me, really long story), he basically has not allowed me to live with my mother, because he refuses to stop drinking while I am there. He tells me "I'm the parent, I can do whatever I want. I will not be ordered around by a child".

So I left.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
RathWolf said:
A shower running wakes you up? Geez, you must be a really light sleeper.
As I said, It is connected to my room, by a very thin door no less. Combine that with running the faucet in non shower mode, and a vacuum, and yes I woke up.
Shpongled said:
Poor teenagers. Must be hard having someone else to do the housework for you.
Oh, get off your high horse. You have no idea how much of the work I do or don't have to do, this is about courtesy, not work.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
9AM's an early start and you live in a house with three bathrooms.
Methinks the boy doth complain too much.

Maybe you should do the cleaning yourself before hand. Then your mother wouldn't have to interrupt you in the slightest.
Or you could just remain angry at someone who's saving you a job. That shows a ton of courtesy.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Well I really don't know what to say, this all seems a bit of an overreaction on your behalf to me, if this is the worst thing that could happen you're lucky.

Apr 19, 2010
How about waking up at 9am
And it is her house and she can do whatever she wants including but not limited to;
kicking you out,
waking you up whenever she wants,
deciding not to give you food,
taking away everything you think you own from you.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
My mom and dad frequently stand in front of the TV for the 2 hours a week I get to watch it. Either that, or they proceed to vacuum the living room, or do various other noisy tasks.

My dad also likes to sit in the kitch and watch something, whilst listening to it in the living room too. Another thing is, because we have a lightly coloured carpet in the hallway, we have to use the back door. Regardless of the fact that the bottom of the hallway is now brown, and they still leave the keys in the damn front door so I can't open it.

The result? A cracked window in the front door, 2 broken TV remotes that have been luanched in their direction and hit a wall, and a door handle that snapped off the kitchen door through frequent slamming.

Short answer? Yes, my parents are a pair of complete pricks.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
It's not your shower. It's hers. Do you pay mortgage? I would be damn happy if my mother was cleaning anything that it should by rights be my own responsibility to clean. Your attitude, not hers is shitty. You don't have any right to question, especially not something so heinous (GASP) as her cleaning her own household!

If you're an adult? GTFO and pay for your own house and THEN complain if she magically wakes you up cleaning. If you're a child? Guess what, kid. Respect wasn't broken here, except yours. Your mother didn't dump water on you, didn't toss cleaning supplies at you and force you to clean your own bathroom (which by the way, as a parent, -I- would have done. It's your responsibility!). She did your dirty work for you.

Eat a little humble pie.

@Marter: Thats a little different. Step parents should not, by rights, be able to dictate things to children. I've had two, and my mother never let them interfere in my 'upbringing'. And since he's refusing to stop drinking? I'd lay the shit on your mom, not your stepdad. It's her decision to remain with such an idiot.

Gramzon

Aug 18, 2009
get a job and move out to some apartment, thats what i did when my parents started to get on my nerves.
(i actually had to take pills to calm me down (anger management)

PILLS HERE

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I know what you mean, and I hate that attitude out of parents:

But wouldn't it have been better to talk peacefully about it? I found a long time ago that my mom tends to actually want to help me when I try the diplomatic approach.

Your Nightmare

May 28, 2010
Mate, my mum came in my room at 5:30 asking for my laptop..

I was so tired all day..and i'm a morning person =0

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Freebird. said:
KaiRai said:
This guy everybody. Proving that rather than politely asking someone to move or stop doing something, you should just break stuff.

Yes, parents are annoying but jeez. You get to live in their house for free while you do what you want and they cook you meals. Yes there are bad parents but you and the OP seem to be overreacting since they just seem to be a bit annoying at the worst.
They only say "It's my house" when asked to move, and actually, I pay them rent. As well as cleaning up. Your horse is awfully high.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Oh jeez, not 9am. Spin your common courtesy around there buddy, does your mother have to wait for your sorry ass to get up before she does what she planned on doing? She has to change her schedule to accommodate your temper tantrum?

Jun 13, 2009
It's 9am. You should be waking up by then anyway, it's hardly an early start. Don't quote me and tell me I know nothing about how much you do and to get off my high horse, you're putting yourself on a pedestal and the irony would be too much to bear.

Also, you live in a house with 3 bathrooms and have an en suite, and yet you complain just because you were woken up mid morning? Sheesh..

Common courtesy is all very well, and I might have agreed if she had come in to hoover at 7am or some other ungodly hour, but considering your current description of the event you don't have a leg to stand on.

Valkatron

Apr 22, 2009
All i can say to this is that young kids (generalisation incoming) respect their parents and the world at large a lot less than they used to. Suck it up, build a bridge do whatever you want but stop complaining and get over it. You will miss having someone to clean up after you when you move out (if you move out, it is a big scary world and having mummy to look after you is a big thing to let go of).