I'm your mother and "I can do whatever I want" attitude

saxist01

Jun 4, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Edit: @Everyone. Stop assuming I do no work and I'm a lazy "teenager". You have no idea if I pay rent to stay over here or how much work I actually do, This whole issue is about common courtesy, not how much work I do or do not do.
Doesn't matter if we know you or not, or if you do any work around the house. You're acting like a little ***** to your mother and you should be thanking her for doing the (apparently thankless) task of keeping your ass outta of a garbage pile.
If you had bothered to read instead of looking down from your skyscraping high horse, you'd have seen I pay for my own stuff.
Yeah, I read it. That changes things . . . not at all. You do not deserve any respect, because you have shown none. In time, I hope you'll appreciate the crap (literally) your mother had to deal with.
In time, I hope you realize how wrong you are. I deserve no respect? You deserve less than none. What a shallow minded individual, for you cannot even see the other side of the argument. Like most here, actually.
Yes, shallow minded individuals realize what is and is not dickish behavior. I'm certainly not giving you any respect because I have met too many spoiled kids who act like you. You need to realize she was providing you a service FOR FREE! And to do anything other than thank her is extremely disrespectful to her.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Kailat777 said:
chozo_hybrid said:
It's called life, these things happen. 9am is a pretty decent time, heck that's one hell of a sleep in for me in general since I'm usually up at 5am to leave for work.

Sure, it may be annoying, but I pay rent in a flat and have three other people living here. They've woken me with similar stuff on my days off, but they didn't do it with the purpose of waking me, so there was no point getting mad. Besides, it's your mother, she raised you. I wonder what you said to her that got that reaction, if you were calm and asked nicely what she was doing sh may have apologized for waking you up.
I've brought this up and been ignored before about it.
Oh well, in the end, it has nothing to do with us. I get that it was annoying, I see his side, but still. Parents usually automatically should get the respect of their children no matter the situation because they raised you, it's not cheap, you put up with a lot of crap and sacrifice a lot of things you want for a child.

That's what gets me about this thread, he goes on about respect and courtesy and doesn't seem to realize how much they have given to him. Or perhaps he does and decides to act like this anyway.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Edit: @Everyone. Stop assuming I do no work and I'm a lazy "teenager". You have no idea if I pay rent to stay over here or how much work I actually do, This whole issue is about common courtesy, not how much work I do or do not do.
Doesn't matter if we know you or not, or if you do any work around the house. You're acting like a little ***** to your mother and you should be thanking her for doing the (apparently thankless) task of keeping your ass outta of a garbage pile.
If you had bothered to read instead of looking down from your skyscraping high horse, you'd have seen I pay for my own stuff.
Yeah, I read it. That changes things . . . not at all. You do not deserve any respect, because you have shown none. In time, I hope you'll appreciate the crap (literally) your mother had to deal with.
In time, I hope you realize how wrong you are. I deserve no respect? You deserve less than none. What a shallow minded individual, for you cannot even see the other side of the argument. Like most here, actually.
Yes, shallow minded individuals realize what is and is not dickish behavior. I'm certainly not giving you any respect because I have met too many spoiled kids who act like you. You need to realize she was providing you a service FOR FREE! And to do anything other than thank her is extremely disrespectful to her.
Paying money gets me a free service? What?

saxist01

Jun 4, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Rent includes basic cleaning - WHAT? I need to tell my landlords immediately!

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
I didn't realize you were privy to the deal I made with my parent's or possibly my employer. I should probably fix this information leak.

Kailat777

Oct 28, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
I believe he meant 'raising you prior to you starting to pay for it' (Edit: or not, but other people have brought up the whole 'raising' thing, and you seem to be doing well enough that we can assume she did a decent job). Also, the argument he was making over this is that since you showed your mother no respect when you questioned her over her cleaning, you deserved no respect in exchange. If you truly are working and paying your way, then it's time to be a man and learn to let things go. If it bothers you THAT MUCH, then you should definitely move out. If you're working third shift, I see no reason to believe you are a minor, so you have no excuse.

Additionally, the fact that you are now starting to launch attacks against people for disagreeing with you (in fact, a lot of the responses you are attacking aren't overwhelmingly negative, just poorly worded) suggests your attitude may be a significant problem in this whole ordeal.

saxist01

Jun 4, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
saxist01 said:
Jiraiya72 said:
I didn't realize you were privy to the deal I made with my parent's or possibly my employer. I should probably fix this information leak.
Even if the person cleaning your bathroom was an illegal immigrant from (well Mexico here, where you live, I don't know) and working for an established company. You should STILL thank that person for cleaning up after you!

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
well why don't you clean your own shower then, instead of having her do it for you. Must be tough being woken up by the person who feeds you because they are cleaning up after you.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
AMMO Kid said:
well why don't you clean your own shower then, instead of having her do it for you. Must be tough being woken up by the person who feeds you because they are cleaning up after you.
If by feeds me, you mean I buy my own food, cook my own food, then sure. And note I never had a problem with her cleaning the shower, the problem was she chose to clean the only one with someone near it sleeping, instead of the 2 other ones that she was going to clean as well.

jeejvebe

Jun 3, 2010
I think a lot of people are missing the point. This wasn't about if she "had the right" to do so, it was a matter of common courtesy.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Blair Bennett said:
Le_Lisra said:
Yes, the issue the OP had isn't very hard, but it is part of something that pisses me off too, which is even more strongly present in what others posted as well.

There are always (and why is that?) somewhere parents who go out of their way to be annoying with silly (!) and trivial stuff that should not be a problem at all.
My mother has a tendency to practically plug her ears and try and drown out your voice when she feels she's losing an argument. How am I supposed to respect that as a valid argument? You're right, there wouldn't be an issue if there were some sort of mutual respect, but when someone uses their age and says it automatically makes them intellectually superior, they're just being childish and ineffectual. This usually means to me that the person in question is incapable of supporting their own opinion with fact or reason.

Also, there's something wrong, and somewhat depressing, when you spend, what is, basically, half of your life trying to understand each and every nuance of the English language due to the fact that one might be tired of being intellectually body-checked by their father. Not necessarily just this, as it's made me a better conversationalist, but when you do this only to find that your opinions are still null and void because you are still legally a child, it pretty much kills any respect one may once have had for the other person involved.

In my opinion, one cannot demand respect if he isn't willing to be worth respecting, or if they aren't willing to reciprocate respect where it has been deserved. I know people that refuse to listen to an intelligent, effective business partner of theirs, who is damn good at his job, simply because the man is still in his 20's.
I agree.

I once had a particularly interesting row with my then girlfriends mom (which is,yknow, in itself something *brilliant* to have), because she basically insulted some of my friends. One friend in particular had chosen a life as an event-manager&fire artist, because that is what she loved doing, and the mother said that is something she'd never allowed her children to do, because that is not "a proper/secure way" of living.
Just an example.. for that, and for other cases I had to speak up because I was raised by my (rather saintly in comparison) parents to not accept something like that. In every case my arguments or opinions were ignored because I was younger and nothing but her daughters boyfriend, even though I was an adult by then.
She probably never forgave me that I taught her (still minor) daughter to speak up against this default disrespect.

"You don't have to be old to be wise", said Judas Priest, and how right they are. Respect has to be earned. If I ever have kids, I hope I'll do better.

diddykonger

Jan 14, 2009
Had the OP stated at the start of the thread that he had worked the graveyard shift, and maybe added what his job was during said shift he may have garnered a bit more understanding from the rest of us. But since you the OP went on angry, and imo, unnecessarily rant about something that is a relatively minor thing to be upset about. Yes anyone of us here would be upset about being woken up after a long day or night at work but that's life. So here are my pearls of wisdom "Grow up!"

recoverytwo

Sep 27, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
I also love the posts telling him how she's earned his respect by feeding and caring for him for the first fifteen years of his life. Really? She's the one who wanted to have kids, so it's her obligation to do those things. You don't want to pay for raising a child...don't have one. It doesn't make the kid indebted to his parents for life. Being able to reproduce isn't an automatic ticket to respect.
Its like teachers think they deserve respect for living.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Common courtesy is an illusion thought up by people who think they deserve better. Like "Justice" or "Truth". And when I say that, I mean the capitalised versions of those two words. But I digress. What I'm trying to say is that your mother can do whatever she wants, as can anyone else in the world. The only things stopping us are consequences which are counter-productive for us, so we sometimes use this so called "common courtesy" to avoid said consequences. Not because we should be nice to one another, but because otherwise we could get a punch in the nose.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Yeah, she could have checked to see if you were awake and then done the others first. It's what I would have done. Although having said that I can be pretty forgetful, it might not occur to me that the occupant of the room might still be asleep, are you sure she knew you were asleep?