I'm your mother and "I can do whatever I want" attitude

Bodo_Fraggins

Nov 24, 2007
I see the OPs point though, which was why clean it at that exact moment. I would suggest that you say to your mother that she does not need to clean your bathroom in the future because you will do it.
That way you dont get disturbed and your mother has a little less work to do around the house.
everyone wins!
sound good?

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
OP: it will only ever change if you move out. Not cutting on you, no matter what your situation... moms are notoriously stubborn when they set there minds to something.

If you're hearing little to no common decency from the woman at all, ask her what's bugging her.

recoverytwo

Sep 27, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
recoverytwo said:
Its like teachers think they deserve respect for living.
I'm sorry, I don't get what you're trying to say.
Its the same type of thing. Every teacher I have ever had feel like they deserve the respect of the world because they are teachers. When ever you ell them to blow it out there ass (not those words but you know what I mean) they go on a rant about how they don't get paid enough to do there job and how hard it is and they deserve respect for that, but they are the ones who chose the job and knew what they were getting into.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
Some of you guys act like you've never been annoyed by your parents....

jeejvebe said:
I think a lot of people are missing the point. This wasn't about if she "had the right" to do so, it was a matter of common courtesy.
And that being said, I do find it a bit rude. It would have been just as easy to clean the other bathrooms beforehand, so why not do that?

Does she have the right to do that? Yeah, her house, her rules. Does it make it any less rude? No.

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
If it was my mom I'd ask her kindly to stop doing my bathroom first and causing me to wake up. I mean after all, I wouldn't have to clean it as long as she did it for me.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
recoverytwo said:
Swollen Goat said:
recoverytwo said:
Its the same type of thing. Every teacher I have ever had feel like they deserve the respect of the world because they are teachers. When ever you ell them to blow it out there ass (not those words but you know what I mean) they go on a rant about how they don't get paid enough to do there job and how hard it is and they deserve respect for that, but they are the ones who chose the job and knew what they were getting into.
my dads a teacher and i think teachers do deserve more respect because generally they dont know what they are getting into and my dad has made it his personal mission to disuade me from teaching as much as possible due to the amount of stress it puts on him (the class he has next year consists of 2 foreign children who cant read or write english on top of one mentally handicapped child (autism i think) with the rest of the class of 28 of which 40% are special needs and he works in a normal school. can you imagine trying to teach that cause i tried as a teaching assistant in a different school and i certainly think i couldnt) also this maybe a bit controversial but i think they should bring corporal punishment back in.

one example of the respect teachers used to hold is that when my dad first started a pupil insulted him and so he hit the child and bloodied his nose (this was back in the 70's i think when corporal punishment was still available) the next day the parents came in and apologised to him for their childs action. try that nowerdays and you are likely to get fired if not sued by the parents afterwards.

OP. i dont really have this problem myself since they generally are pretty reasonable people although my mum does decide sometimes that everything has to be clean and so shouts at me when my rooms a tip

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
that "i can do whatever i want" is a cheap excuse to avoid question that are awkward or just so they don't have to have an argument.

And she didn't even try to make conversation?
went straight into "i own you, deal with it"?

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Assuming you're 18 and you have a job, you either have to talk to your mother about what you, as a person, need very politely (ask her if next time it's possible to clean up somewhere else first, or to wait a bit later to clean up), or just rent an apartment somewhere if you really can't stand her. Otherwise, she's your mother. Deal with it. It's not like she has to obey any social rules with you.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I have a very risky hair to face situation going on right now. If my hair is to neat and tidy, I look like a chick. If it is messy and all that, I look pretty damn good. Seeing how I have yet to grow a proper beard, I have to be careful.

My mom thinks she is going to get my hair trimmed up. The past six times she has done this, I end up looking like a woman. She even agrees. Yet it still happens to this day.

Let's just say, I am not gonna give this one up without a fight.

OT: My parents actually do respect me a good deal, But they still do pull the "I can do whatever I want" car quite a bit.

Most recently, my Mom took away my Xbox for a teacher who basically failed the entire class. (She sure as hell isnt coming back next year).

I paid for the entire thing, all the games, Xbox live. Yet she took it away for 2 months. I was only allowed to play on the weekends, until she took it away. I paid 50 dollars for XBL, plus not being able to play on Week days, and now losing two months. I told her that because she was taking away something that I bought and paid for, she owed me 20 bucks. Needless to say, she started laughing in my face, this worst thing she could have done.

So I unplugged the cable from her TV, and it took her a week to figure it out.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I normally let my parents do what they want. If they ask me to do something 9 times out of 10 I will do it. Reasons being A) my family is a team - we all work together B) it keeps the peace and C) my family has been in a spot of trouble for almost a year so I see it as my duty to help out.

Of course, if I don't fancy it I will often tell them to basically 'stick it'.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
I have a very risky hair to face situation going on right now. If my hair is to neat and tidy, I look like a chick. If it is messy and all that, I look pretty damn good. Seeing how I have yet to grow a proper beard, I have to be careful.

My mom thinks she is going to get my hair trimmed up. The past six times she has done this, I end up looking like a woman. She even agrees. Yet it still happens to this day.

Let's just say, I am not gonna give this one up without a fight.

OT: My parents actually do respect me a good deal, But they still do pull the "I can do whatever I want" car quite a bit.

Most recently, my Mom took away my Xbox for a teacher who basically failed the entire class. (She sure as hell isnt coming back next year).

I paid for the entire thing, all the games, Xbox live. Yet she took it away for 2 months. I was only allowed to play on the weekends, until she took it away. I paid 50 dollars for XBL, plus not being able to play on Week days, and now losing two months. I told her that because she was taking away something that I bought and paid for, she owed me 20 bucks. Needless to say, she started laughing in my face, this worst thing she could have done.

So I unplugged the cable from her TV, and it took her a week to figure it out.
Regardless of who paid for the Xbox, to play it is still a privilege and privileges can be taken away. Though, if the teacher failed your entire class out of spite then it was unnecessary.

How different it is these days...if I had to said or done something to my mother like that it, it would have ended in tragedy.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
MelziGurl said:
Regardless of who paid for the Xbox, to play it is still a privilege and privileges can be taken away. Though, if the teacher failed your entire class out of spite then it was unnecessary.

How different it is these days...if I had to said or done something to my mother like that it, it would have ended in tragedy.
Trust me, I am all for kids getting strict punishments. I think that parents are to soft on their kids for the most part.

The problem I have is I am the only person I know who still gets treated like this. I understand how it is a privilege, and I never put up an argument about the whole weekday thing. I am nearly 18 years old, and much more mature than my average classmate. I have to make all my own money, and then just to see it all wasted because of my parents thick head really got to me. There is a time where a person needs to demand to stop being treated like a two year old, and at that point it was the last straw.

And she never knew it was me, I had just refused to help her fix it.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
MelziGurl said:

Trust me, I am all for kids getting strict punishments. I think that parents are to soft on their kids for the most part.

The problem I have is I am the only person I know who still gets treated like this. I understand how it is a privilege, and I never put up an argument about the whole weekday thing. I am nearly 18 years old, and much more mature than my average classmate. I have to make all my own money, and then just to see it all wasted because of my parents thick head really got to me. There is a time where a person needs to demand to stop being treated like a two year old, and at that point it was the last straw.

And she never knew it was me, I had just refused to help her fix it.
18 is legal adult age in Australia :) When I hit that age BAM! My last punishment was a grounding at 14 that was meant to last for 2 weeks and lasted 2 days because my father has a piss poor memory. But I was under their roof until I was 22, so if they told me to do something it was to be done without fuss. Until you're legally an adult your parents say what goes unfortunately, the only thing you can do is give them reason not to take away your privileges.

My parents didn't have privileges to take away because we were outdoor kids, the best thing that worked for us was to have us locked in our rooms until our crying put us to sleep. But that can only last so long as eventually you have people like my sister climbing out their bedroom windows.

recoverytwo

Sep 27, 2009
hawkeye52 said:
recoverytwo said:
Swollen Goat said:
recoverytwo said:
my dads a teacher and i think teachers do deserve more respect because generally they dont know what they are getting into and my dad has made it his personal mission to disuade me from teaching as much as possible due to the amount of stress it puts on him (the class he has next year consists of 2 foreign children who cant read or write english on top of one mentally handicapped child (autism i think) with the rest of the class of 28 of which 40% are special needs and he works in a normal school. can you imagine trying to teach that cause i tried as a teaching assistant in a different school and i certainly think i couldnt) also this maybe a bit controversial but i think they should bring corporal punishment back in.

one example of the respect teachers used to hold is that when my dad first started a pupil insulted him and so he hit the child and bloodied his nose (this was back in the 70's i think when corporal punishment was still available) the next day the parents came in and apologised to him for their childs action. try that nowerdays and you are likely to get fired if not sued by the parents afterwards.

OP. i dont really have this problem myself since they generally are pretty reasonable people although my mum does decide sometimes that everything has to be clean and so shouts at me when my rooms a tip
I'm not saying they don't deserve a little respect because they do (If your not a ass whole) but they act like they should be treated like gods because they are teachers. There is no way in hell I will just give it to you just because you asked for it It needs to be earned not handed out . I too think corporal punishment should be back in , there is a reason the old people are badasses and thats one of them.

I can understand what It is like to teach that class of his because I was in a class a lot like it. I was one of the few normal people in the class, every body ells was (trying to be) gangster, special needs, in one case foreign, and everybody ells (but me and a few others) had ADD or some other disorder that made them impossible to deal with. On top of that they moved a few people into my class because they were too problematic in school. I was with them for 6 fucking classes, because they decided that with our class they would experiment with everybody being in the sam class for all of there classes (there were 7 classes but I had another for some reason). Its made me somewhat anti social for then next half year.

mkg

Feb 24, 2009
I'm going to 1; ask how old you are and 2; suggest that maybe your mother was giving you a hint to clean your own fucking nasty bathroom?

sokka14

Mar 4, 2009
A lot of people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that the OP is lazy and whining over nothing etc etc.

This clearly isn't even the issue. This is about parents being inconsiderate and using the fact that their children are dependent on them to refuse explanations for their actions. Especially when the child is old enough to UNDERSTAND the reason for the parent's actions. In effect it's about bad parenting, teaching bad people-skills to their children.

I have a parent who is atrociously irrational most of the time and will explode if you say anything that isn't at least cordial, or even sometimes when you do. The only way they know how to handle things is by bullying, and they refuse to listen to reason, which is a shitty combination. This means that as a person I will have learned to essentially never question anything, never argue a point even if I feel it's irrational, and never speak my mind. Clearly this is not healthy, and I'm hugely grateful I at least have one parent I can talk to and reason with.

Respect is something which is earned. Simple. Saying that, you don't need to respect to obey. I never didn't give a teacher a chance, but if they didn't earn my respect, how could I respect them? I had one teacher who effectively destroyed my most important grade for going to Uni, because he literally taught me nothing. After I got rightly furious over this in one of his lessons, he gave me a serious lecture about how I should respect him, to which I responded that his apalling teaching standard meant he didn't deserve it, and that it was my education that was suffering, not his inexplicable pride. I eventually gave up hope I would learn anything from him and stopped attending his lessons.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
I love the amount of dickishness going off in this thread. There are so many pious arseholes on here, it's untrue. Also, just because you have a certain understanding with your parents, or just because you have to get up at 5am to walk 500 miles to work in concrete shoes or whatever, doesn't mean that everyone else has to be in that same situation. Some of the stories in here remind me of this:<youtube=Xe1a1wHxTyo> The thread is about COURTESY, not how many bathrooms someone has, and not about whether someone pays rent or not. His mother had no rational reason for waking someone up after 3 hours of sleep to clean a bathroom which could have waited. I wouldn't expect that treatment from my mum when I lived at home (although I didn't have my own bathroom, but then that isn't the point) whether I paid rent or not, because there are ways of treating people.

Xero Scythe

Aug 7, 2009
sadly, she owns the house, so she sorta can do whatever she wants. It's not polite, but it's within her power. What time was it anyway? If it was past 9:00, then I really have no sympathy for you, since you should probably be awake by then,