I'm your mother and "I can do whatever I want" attitude

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Trace2010 said:
FinalHeart95 said:
I understand where you're coming from, but if you're really so tired you could always go to sleep again afterwards. Besides, at least she's doing work you don't have to do.

That response does annoy the hell out of me though. It's more of an "I'm older so I'm always right and you're always wrong" attitude though. I get that there is a higher chance that they're right, but you don't just write off my argument because I'm your kid.
Usually the "older" argument when parents are concerned is the tactful response instead of:

"MY HOUSE...MY DEBT...MY PAYMENTS...MY RULES YOU LITTLE $#!^ ;)
Well I actually agree with yours. XD

You see, my parents don't use it if I get grounded or something, because I usually understand why I get in trouble when I do. But they use it in things like political debates with me, and it's really obnoxious.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
rapidoud said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Let me start off by saying whenever you are dealing with people, a little fucking common courtesy is needed. Until said person proves he/she doesn't deserve respect, you should give them a little at the very least. This applies to everyone.

Now onto my story. My mother decides she should clean my bathroom and shower at 9 am this morning. This 9 am on a Saturday no less. During which she woke me up due to running the shower at full blast along with the tub/sink at random intervals. We have 3 bathrooms. Of which, mine is the ONLY one connected to my room and the one she decides she needs to "clean" first. All 3 bathrooms require cleaning, but despite knowing she has done this before, she does it again and cleans mine first.

When I woke up this morning, my first thought was "Who the fuck is in my shower at 9 am, and why is someone in my shower period". I open the door and thank my mother for waking me up and she gives me her typical "I can do whatever the hell I want because It's my house and I'm your mother". In addition, her tone was that 'how dare I question her'. Yes, no shit you can do whatever you want.

Common fucking courtesy it's called. Just because your my parent doesn't mean you should disrespect me, and anytime she does anything she knows annoys me, she pulls out this card. "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT." Yeah, I'm glad your busy proving that to yourself by annoying your children. Just because you can doesn't mean you should as the saying goes.

Running the shower and such wasn't even all the problem, she also decided to vacuum as well. There is literally no reason for her to have done any of this while I was sleeping. None of my other family was asleep and she could have easily cleaned their's first and I would have been awake by the time she got around.

I'm a bit tired and fucking pissed, /rantoff.

Edit: @Everyone. Stop assuming I do no work and I'm a lazy "teenager". You have no idea if I pay rent to stay over here or how much work I actually do, This whole issue is about common courtesy, not how much work I do or do not do.
You're a selfish fucking brat is all I read. You have your own bathroom? You're fucking rich mate. You're complaining that someone is cleaning your bathroom? Are you serious? 9AM is not early, how about getting to bed at a normal time like before 4AM?

Ungrateful ****. But! You should be grateful, she could've had an abortion and said "Oh fine you don't want me to help you, you can un-abort yourself".

Seriously people, I don't want to use the brain bleach.
Captain Booyah said:
I like how you're complaining about lack of 'common courtesy' when your mother had the courtesy to clean your bathroom for you in the first place. Whether she woke you up or not -- and at 9AM, which is hardly an unreasonable time; if you said 3AM, then I would at least have a degree of sympathy -- she's still cleaning up after you. Whatever other chores you do do are irrelevant (especially because you have your own bathroom and somebody else is cleaning it for you). So yes, no offense, but you do come across as an immature, whiny kid in your post, whether that impression is incorrect or not.

Also, I have to question just how you told her 'thanks for waking me up', in order to provoke that reaction from her. Even if that reaction was rude and unwarranted -- get over it. You have a house, and clothes, and food, unlike millions of other people. I can't believe somebody could get angry over something so damn inconsequential (other than 'OH NOEZ I CAN'T GET BACK TO SLEEP BAAAW') when there are children starving to death, or somebody's house getting burnt down, or that somebody, at this very moment in time, is being battered by their partner. Seriously, grow up.
/\
Jiraiya72 said:
I also work mostly night shifts.
I say lol, as your argument get's destroyed with that one sentence.
Also, Rapid, jealous much? Bathroom's does not make a person rich.

Mavvy

Jul 24, 2010
I can see how that would piss you off, in that situation, who in the world would sit up and say 'Hm, well, she is my mother, it's fine.'
Nobody I know anyway.
However she is still your mother and she has a point, just it seems she tried to test this power, and did so in an arrogant way, her response would be what pissed me off.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Wardnath said:
MelziGurl said:
Tdc2182 said:
Regardless of who paid for the Xbox, to play it is still a privilege and privileges can be taken away. Though, if the teacher failed your entire class out of spite then it was unnecessary.

How different it is these days...if I had to said or done something to my mother like that it, it would have ended in tragedy.
Umm, no. If he paid for it, it's not a privilege, it's a right.

At least, that's what I believe.

In any case, I've just read all 10 pages of this thread, and the only thing it amounts to is:

"HURR DURR I HAZ A WURS LYF THAN U BAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"

This thread should be locked, and half the people ITT need to be suspended/banned. Seriously.
I believe rights need to be earned and while he's obviously earned the right to own one, under someone else's house and rules it is simply a privilege to have that leisure time. This is also based on how I was raised, that regardless of your age if you still lived under someone else's roof (and in most cases it's your parents) you live by their rules until you move out.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
rsvp42 said:
No, but seriously, I said that in jest. The point being, his "problem" pales in comparison to most other things. What's worse is that he felt the need to seek out support on the Internet. What's next, a "my mom makes me eat veggies" thread or an "I shouldn't have to clean my room" post? Gimme a break. If you want to vent, vent to your friends and let them pretend to give a damn.
But... My mum DOES make me eat my veggies, and I'm in my mid-twenties! And I moved out when I was 18! And... Veggies suck! *cry*

Yeah, seriously, if you pay for everything anyway, move out. Let your parents get a lodger who actually appreciates not having to clean their own toilet (I live with a compulsively tidy person for this very reason. It's AWESOME.). If you're old enough for a nigh job, if you actually have a night job, then you're old enough to find your own place.

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
FinalHeart95 said:
Trace2010 said:
FinalHeart95 said:
I understand where you're coming from, but if you're really so tired you could always go to sleep again afterwards. Besides, at least she's doing work you don't have to do.

That response does annoy the hell out of me though. It's more of an "I'm older so I'm always right and you're always wrong" attitude though. I get that there is a higher chance that they're right, but you don't just write off my argument because I'm your kid.
Usually the "older" argument when parents are concerned is the tactful response instead of:

"MY HOUSE...MY DEBT...MY PAYMENTS...MY RULES YOU LITTLE $#!^ ;)
Well I actually agree with yours. XD

You see, my parents don't use it if I get grounded or something, because I usually understand why I get in trouble when I do. But they use it in things like political debates with me, and it's really obnoxious.
Remember, in all instances, the "I'm older" argument is used in tactful evasion...on the good side, it is used when your parents don't want to kill your curiosity, but disagree with your opinion.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
dfphetteplace said:
Whiny ass kid. Clean your own fucking bathroom then. If you don't like all your parent's shit, get your own goddamn place and stop wasting bandwidth complaining. It would be interesting to see you when you grow up and have to deal with real life.
It'd be interesting to see you get off your highhorse and not be a judgmental prick. I already pay for everything, and I'm not judgmental, so I'd say I came out ahead of you.
You came on The Escapist, bitched about your "problems" and then get pissed when someone calls you out on your BS? "I'm not judgemental(sic)" excpet I'm saying someone else is on a highhorse (sic). Jackass. And if you paid for everything, then why can't you get your own place, pay your own taxes, cook your own food, get up before 9am, and clean your own fucking bathroom? Get a life.

Kavachi

Sep 18, 2009
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Kavachi said:
Just clean your bathroom so she doesnt have to, you're kinda lazy. Also, there was really no need to put this here and waste my time reading this teenage drama-about-nothing diary.
Sorry, but this made me chuckle, you're complaining about someone wasting your time, on an internet, gaming, forum! what the fuck did you come here to do? Were you expecting some magical epiphany on the nature of the universe? No such luck friend.
Awwww man, really? :( That's a pity, I was so looking forward to seeing such a thread! :'(

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Kair said:
You are spoiled for having your own bathroom. Your mother has the wrong attitude, but so have you.
So, so fitting with your avatar.

I sympathise, OP; unlike the cavalry here, I can understand the issue. It's not that 'Oh, my mum woke me up at 9AM, that's so hard', it's 'My mum had a clear alternative, one she would eventually get round to anyway, but went out of her way to choose the option that would cause aggravation instead of just getting on with the other stuff until I was awake, and then, when asked, bitched at me with two-year-old logic.'
Am I right?
It's happened on occasion here; not in the same situation, thankfully, because a) we have a cleaner and b) she usually comes midday on the days she works, but were it the same I would raise an almighty stink about it too because I am an insomniac and hardly ever sleep anyway.

EDIT: And to all the morons saying 'BAWWWWW GO BAK 2 SLP FGT', have you ever even cleaned a bathroom? Perhaps a drain was blocked. Perhaps not. Perhaps there was a single stain that wouldn't come off; whatever the reason, bathroom chemicals like bleach get involved a lot, and try sleeping through that shit... and waking up afterwards.

And on the topic of bathrooms, I have seven; on top of that, we're not in debt, and we've completely paid off our mortgage. Where's my hatred? Why am I not being flamed for being a rich ****? Why am I not being torn apart for being moderately well off, middle-class and white, whilst some poor bastard in some godforsaken shithole in the third world starves to death? Where's my mountain of replies reading 'BAWWW, I WANT WUT U HAVE BUT SINCE I DON'T HAVE IT I'M GOING TO PRETEND LIKE I DON'T WANT IT TO FIT IN WITH THE REST OF THE WHINING SHITSACKS SAYING THE SAME DAMN THING' or 'SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS LESS ADVANTAGED THAN YOU. GIVE UP EVERYTHING YOU OWN, EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER WORKED FOR, EVERYTHING YOUR PARENTS HAVE WORKED FOR, BECAUSE I, A RANDOM STRANGER ON THE INTERNET WHO HASN'T AND NEVER WOULD DO THE SAME THING, AM TELLING YOU TO'?
People like you make me sick. What the hell happened to this place, hm?

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Douk said:
The only thing worse than kids who disobey their good parents are people who assume that all parents are good and flame someone for complaining about their parents. These people are a rare breed of white knight who focus their efforts on parents instead of girls. You can tell that they're a White Knight if they merely flame and not post any sort of coherent argument.

I imagine this thread is full of the latter. But I'll add my story:

My mom always tells me what to do as I'm doing it, especially in public. If I'm cleaning my room, she will come in and tell me to clean my room. I have no idea why she does this, perhaps she feels like she's telling me what to do. When I bring this up she just falls back on the "I'm you mom you can't talk that way to me" defense. ITs really annoying when she tells me to do something I already did in public, and she'll say "good job for listening to me" as if I'm a bad kid she's shaping up. Then the strangers who are listening in will think that I'm a bad kid and if I try to argue with her in public, people will come in and say "she's your mom do what she says".
Fuck, Douk, I thought it was just my parents that did that. I'll do something, one of them will yell for me to do something else, then the other, in perfect hearing range, will yell for me to do something different, then they'll both yell for me to do the same third thing, and I'm just stuck in the middle with a 'what is this I don't even' running through my head. Funny thing is, I have two siblings, and this never happens to them...
Other than that, though, my parents are reasonably alright.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Lexodus said:
A. Freaking. Men.
I only wish it didn't have to be this way, you know? This used to be a haven on the internet, far from the abject stupidity of Yahoo!Answers, but now, people can't even be bothered to read a simple post and instead jump on the smallest thing like a pack of rabid animals.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Lexodus said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Lexodus said:
A. Freaking. Men.
I only wish it didn't have to be this way, you know? This used to be a haven on the internet, far from the abject stupidity of Yahoo!Answers, but now, people can't even be bothered to read a simple post and instead jump on the smallest thing like a pack of rabid animals.
Yeah..I knew when I posted it I would get some flamers, but I never thought so many would jump on me. Especially when I thought I was pretty clearly in the right.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
Lexodus said:
Kair said:
You are spoiled for having your own bathroom. Your mother has the wrong attitude, but so have you.
So, so fitting with your avatar.

I sympathise, OP; unlike the cavalry here, I can understand the issue. It's not that 'Oh, my mum woke me up at 9AM, that's so hard', it's 'My mum had a clear alternative, one she would eventually get round to anyway, but went out of her way to choose the option that would cause aggravation instead of just getting on with the other stuff until I was awake, and then, when asked, bitched at me with two-year-old logic.'
Am I right?
It's happened on occasion here; not in the same situation, thankfully, because a) we have a cleaner and b) she usually comes midday on the days she works, but were it the same I would raise an almighty stink about it too because I am an insomniac and hardly ever sleep anyway.

EDIT: And to all the morons saying 'BAWWWWW GO BAK 2 SLP FGT', have you ever even cleaned a bathroom? Perhaps a drain was blocked. Perhaps not. Perhaps there was a single stain that wouldn't come off; whatever the reason, bathroom chemicals like bleach get involved a lot, and try sleeping through that shit... and waking up afterwards.

And on the topic of bathrooms, I have seven; on top of that, we're not in debt, and we've completely paid off our mortgage. Where's my hatred? Why am I not being flamed for being a rich ****? Why am I not being torn apart for being moderately well off, middle-class and white, whilst some poor bastard in some godforsaken shithole in the third world starves to death? Where's my mountain of replies reading 'BAWWW, I WANT WUT U HAVE BUT SINCE I DON'T HAVE IT I'M GOING TO PRETEND LIKE I DON'T WANT IT TO FIT IN WITH THE REST OF THE WHINING SHITSACKS SAYING THE SAME DAMN THING' or 'SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS LESS ADVANTAGED THAN YOU. GIVE UP EVERYTHING YOU OWN, EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER WORKED FOR, EVERYTHING YOUR PARENTS HAVE WORKED FOR, BECAUSE I, A RANDOM STRANGER ON THE INTERNET WHO HASN'T AND NEVER WOULD DO THE SAME THING, AM TELLING YOU TO'?
People like you make me sick. What the hell happened to this place, hm?
You have some serious issues.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Kair said:
You think I don't know that?
People see what I have now, where I live, and they think, 'oh, he's just some snotty rich kid', which is basically what you're doing here. They don't know that we were so poor, in one house I had to have a room remodelled out of a walk-in closet just so we had enough space for a kitchen. They don't know we've moved house around 13 times, or that we've earned our way to what we've got, which is a fantastic place. People see what we have now, and make assumptions, and that leaves me bitter, but this is not even that. You're all doing this, going completely ape-shit, over one bathroom? I mean, not you personally; I just quoted you because your avatar fit with the standpoint you took, but the rest of these guys...

Yeah, I have issues. Lots of issues, but I'm getting over them, and I don't do what's going on here just because I see somebody else as more advantaged as me.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
Lexodus said:
Kair said:
You think I don't know that?
People see what I have now, where I live, and they think, 'oh, he's just some snotty rich kid', which is basically what you're doing here. They don't know that we were so poor, in one house I had to have a room remodelled out of a walk-in closet just so we had enough space for a kitchen. They don't know we've moved house around 13 times, or that we've earned our way to what we've got, which is a fantastic place. People see what we have now, and make assumptions, and that leaves me bitter, but this is not even that. You're all doing this, going completely ape-shit, over one bathroom? I mean, not you personally; I just quoted you because your avatar fit with the standpoint you took, but the rest of these guys...

Yeah, I have issues. Lots of issues, but I'm getting over them, and I don't do what's going on here just because I see somebody else as more advantaged as me.
And do you see why the free market has to go? It f*ed you over both ways, poor and rich.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
well once there is a well established communist society to which everyone puts in different amounts of effort to become specially qualified in certain jobs (such as a doctor) but gets the same benefits of his local street cleaner and where everyone has a high enough living standard to be comfortable and secure then give me a call because im moving there and then leaving as soon as possible as soon as the inevitable dictator gets in power. until then however im going to continue working at my law degree to become a solicitor. different people get different starts in life some good some bad but you just have to make the most of what you have and keep on working towards a greater goal so you can buy the next new shiny thing that you so desperately want as that is how capitalism works.