Image of Assassins Creed III's main character leaked

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
I've been debating for some time with my friends as to when the next AC takes place, so we took bets. Looks like they owe $20.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
It's so hard to hate Ubisoft when they keep this kind of awesome crap up.

Guess I'll be buying it used, then.

The Chaz

Dec 1, 2011
They obeyed my cardinal rule; add a bow and arrow, and an axe (hatchet, tomahawk, etc.) and you get my vote.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I really don't like the costume. It just doesn't work, the point of the outfit in the original was to blend in. Disguising yourself among priests was a big part of the gameplay. After that, it still worked because Renaissance fashion was pretty flashy anyway and Ezio could get away with it. But this just doesn't work. There's no way someone in the American Revolution would be able to pass by unnoticed in that kind of outfit. Yeah, yeah, brand recognition. Hopefully it'll look better in the actual game.

Aside from that I'm pretty excited. They might have to do some drastic changing of game-mechanics, though. Guns will be a lot more common, tall buildings will be a lot more sparse, cities will be smaller, etc.

FrozenWar824

Aug 31, 2008
Although I'm cautiously hopeful for this game, I think it still has a lot of potential. For instance, Connor is have Native American, and we rarely hear much about their involvement in the American Revolution. I also noticed he doesn't have the hidden blade, which to be honest is fine with me if it means some overhaul of the the combat. I mean the games have gotten easier and easier to the point that you could counter into a massacre and call in reinforcements if you had the slightest bit of trouble. And although the Founding Fathers had some area where they heros (they called for all religious freedom, something many forget), they also had their faults such as the majority of them owning slaves. I hope they don't just gloss over that.

Burn2Feel

Jan 20, 2010
Arontala said:
I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, we're finally moving into a different time period. On the other hand, I'm worried about how well they're going to handle the Desmond sections. I had assumed that the third game would be fully set in modern times, but now it seems like they'll need to come up with yet another reason to put Desmond back into the Animus.

After all, isn't this supposed to be the ending to Desmond's story? It seems kind of odd to place the focus on a different character.
Desmond's story has always been the back seat of series, and they still need to find the temples to prevent whatever is going to happen to happen. I'm guessing this game will be him finding out where to find said temples and the modern segments being him and the assassins taking over them. Maybe they will do a game solely on Desmond and his fight against the templars but I'm more than happy to screw up history a few more times before then.

Nydestroyer

Jun 12, 2011
nokori3byo said:
way2sl0w said:
undeadsuitor said:
I'm interest to see how Assassins operate in a world of guns and projectile weaponry.
They already have guns brotherhood/revelations
Ezio first gets his hands on a gun in AC2. In the series' chronology, guns appear...significantly ealier.
Little close to a spoiler there buddy XD

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Terminate421 said:
I was hoping for the Russian revolution but I guess it makes sense here as well. At least it isn't Ezio AGAIN. (I did like Ezio, however.)

I do however hope for the ability to actually aim and fire my gun. And before I am called out saying "Don't turn it into a shooter!" I am not suggesting a shooter, I would however like to pick off enemies with my gun without having to be within 20 feet of them. To compensate and not make it a shooter, add a noise aspect or make reload times take forever.
Since its the American revolution, the guns won't be terribly different, most likely. Guns stagnated for a long, long time. And by that, I mean the mid 1800's, where repeating rifles were invented and they started rifling their barrels (although that was earlier). I do expect the range to be a bit bigger, though...
OT: Excited. Finally away from Ezio, but I didn't see this coming, to be honest. And playing as a native American badass? Only game I can think of off the top of my head that had a native American protagonist is Prey. Regardless: I am excited, although I still need to get Relations and Brotherhood...
Edit:
owen20011993 said:
awesome i can kill americans
Juding by the cover, you'll be killing the British... although I can imagine some Freemasons or the Illuminati being in there somewhere, although maybe not as targets.

DeadlySpider

Mar 5, 2012
amazing, awesome and all things great.

However, as mentioned above, the brits are going to be turned into the monsters of the series, despite the whole series being about the hidden motivaitons underneath the actual wars going on instead. If thats true, then it feels like their just going after American Patriotism for sales.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
My big gripe with this will be whether the British are portrayed as people or as over the top baddies who murder puppies for sexual pleasure. But with the main audience of the game being American and their portrayal likely affecting the sales in a big way I'm pretty sure us Brits will be dunking kittens in childrens blood before you can say 'poor dental hygenie'.

I really hope that they use the native america part of the character to explore the fact both factions in the war will fuck his people over, that I'd enjoy. Hell even if it's hinted that British people might have a soul that would surprise me.

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
skywolfblue said:
I'm betting it's fake.

That outfit is a horrid abomination. I mean absolutely shitty. Trying to mix the original outfit with revolution era buckles, just wrong wrong wrong. Go one way or the other.
Oh thank goodness people with aesthetic sensibilities are still out there. Honestly, look at that thing. Why the hell are they clinging to that damn hawk motif like a man on the wing of an airborne plane? The only indication of said motif that survives from the original game is that stupid little square bit of fabric on the hood... and...

Oh jesus I keep looking at it and just realized that they took a damn Regimental Coat/weskit/hunting frock, made it too small, gave it the hood, then strapped bear hide to his legs so they can justify him being native american (how the fuck is this guy descended from a middle eastern palestinian and an italian, yet is somehow half english, half native american?), oh and look, they gave the native american fucking bracers and the incredibly noticeable assassin logo, because he looks soooo stealthy and assassin-like right there. Can't wait to see how they explain away slowly coating this guy in more and more armor upgrades in a revolutionary, continental army over-designed morass.

Okay, now I'm bordering on a rant here, and may be guilty of preemptively judging a book by its cover (all too literally) but I have an overabundance of doubts based on this image. The Colonies didn't have the massive cities of ancient european and palestinian cities for the characteristic free-running element of AC to be feasible. If they plan to play up the Native American angle, then the primary areas of combat during the revolution will be either forests or infiltrating forts and frontier towns, maybe larger capital cities to take out British officers, but then that outfit still doesn't make ANY sense what with the bright white.

I now hold serious reservations about the success of this game. I imagine they have either finally manned up and implemented a proper stealth element back into the gameplay (lets face it, after AC2, you weren't an assassin anymore. You were public enemy #1, a one-man-army, slayer of thousands of guards, and for someone who is supposed to be a stealthy unseen hand of death, almost every conflict ends in massive 1 v. 100 slaughters while big-bad ran for it and your name was know on the streets like fucking batman in Gotham) or they just tossed it out and aren't bothering with it. Jeez, I can only imagine the weird templar National Treasure rip-off they are brewing to further muddy this series plot, and heavens only know what they thought up so they could put Desmound BACK in the animus.

Damn... How war beginning of the 20th century World War 1 Europe not considered?! Their was enough political intrigue, international subterfuge and byzantine dynastic rivalry to make for one of the most interesting and historically relevant Assassin games possible! How in the name of all the powers that be did the Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, which plunged the world into the most important and influential conflict, one that would irreversibly define social, economic, and political customs across the globe for the remainder of the century not have the Assassins Creed writers jizzing themselves in creative passion at the chance to place the player in that pivotal role that would decide the fates of untold millions, and in a social and political setting that would allow the odd Templar/Assassin war/rivalry to be messed seamlessly with the already stylized political atmosphere of turn off the century europe and expand into more complex economical and politically complex motivations and plots than in past games as the world entered a new technological and social era. This was the time where dynastic political icons and characters with intricate relationships and familial ties moved the nations of the world with their personal whims, where entire societies and centuries of tradition were overthrown in a tumult of popular revolt supported by a hurricane of palace and parlor ASSASSINATIONS FOR MEANINGFUL POLITICAL GAINS AND SUBTERFUGE OF GREY MORALITY NOT BE CONSIDERED OVER THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION THAT HAD COMPARATIVELY LITTLE TO NO POLITICAL UPHEAVAL THAT WOULD WARRANT ASSASSINS WHEN OPEN WARFARE WAS THE STATUS QUO?! I have legitimate fear that they are making a videogame adaptation of The Patriot.

... so sorry skywolfblue, it just text walled the inside of your inbox...

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I hope you're a native American and the American settlors are the invaders.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
So you are fighting for the 1) slavers' colony to be able and 2) exterminate the natives, pillage their resources indipendently from 3) the motherland they betrayed? :D

That's noble.

I wonder if Gandhi wuold have liked it, if the english in India had declared themselves indipendent from the UK and massacred all his people too.

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
Nydestroyer said:
nokori3byo said:
way2sl0w said:
undeadsuitor said:
I'm interest to see how Assassins operate in a world of guns and projectile weaponry.
They already have guns brotherhood/revelations
Ezio first gets his hands on a gun in AC2. In the series' chronology, guns appear...significantly ealier.
Little close to a spoiler there buddy XD
Even closer now, buddy.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Arontala said:
I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, we're finally moving into a different time period. On the other hand, I'm worried about how well they're going to handle the Desmond sections. I had assumed that the third game would be fully set in modern times, but now it seems like they'll need to come up with yet another reason to put Desmond back into the Animus.

After all, isn't this supposed to be the ending to Desmond's story? It seems kind of odd to place the focus on a different character.
Or maybe Desmond is actually being controlled by another assassin in the further future who's watching Desmond control his ancestors!

Just like Desmond watched Ezio controlling Altiar!

Assassinception!

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I think the decision to set it during the American revolution is an okay one, but i think they could have done better. My main concern would be, as has been said, there arn't any sprawling cities in colonial America which are kind of necessary for the Assasins Creed style flavour of gameplay.

Part of me thinks they've done this from a profit stand point- A lot of non-US game developers set games in America because they know it will sell well. But mainly, say they have a few founding furthers as Templars then that will cause a very.... profitable controversy should we say. Still, i understand the need to shift the action towards America given that's where Desmond is. But, this is set in the 18th century, it's not like they need to be in a rush.

I would have liked to have seen it set during the Russian Revolution- with the possibility of a sequel being set during the Russian Civil War. You have three notable cities (Moscow, St Petersburg (or Leningrad) and perhaps Volgograd ( later known as Stalingrad)and a fascinating conflict. It would also be radically aesthetically different from the other Assassins Creed games, being set in Mediterranean early modern environments. You also have some really recognisable people- Lenin obviously- but also Stalin who distinguished himself fighting in Volograd during the civil war so he could feature as well, and of course Tsar Nicholas II, the massacre of him and his family etc... And heck in the Civil War you had British, French, American and even Japanese forces intervening in the conflict- and also the Czech legion- a bunch of Czech POW's from WW1 who basically fight their way across Russia trying to get home if i remember rightly. So much was going on there, it's the ideal conflict for an Assasins Creed game.

You could have also done the French revolution/Napoleonic War as well- again, sprawling city environments, lots of stuff going on with the reign of terror and all. Plus, as someone said- Ubisoft are a French so i think it would have been nice for them to tell their own story really.[footnote]That said, i'm aware it's Ubisoft Monteral, and we all know by now that it's made by a multicultural team as they make it very clear at the start of each game.[/footnote] There are loads of games already that revolve around America already. Still, if the protagonist is half native American that could be pretty interesting.