Immersive first person games

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any sweet first person games, with wonderful environments to explore. Some of my favorite games are first person - Mirror's Edge, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Metroid Prime - and Ive always loved the immersive feel. Could any of you guys point me in the direction of a good one to try out?

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Far Cry 3 was pretty good. There are mods to turn off some of the non immersive sounds that pop up occasionally which makes it even better.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Though it does go into 3rd person view when climbing ladders, hiding behind cover, and during (some) dialog sequences.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
It has it's crop of faults, but Dark Messiah does a admirable job of this. Things like being able to see your body when you look down, and the chaotic nature of the melee combat really pull me in whenever I'm playing i.

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
System Shock 2
Damn it's soo goooood. If graphics aren't important to you you should definitely check it out

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
I'd say Metro 2033. The attention to detail is really high. And the feeling of exploring the overworld with a gas mask over your face is extremely claustrophobic.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
If you have a PS3 Resistance 3 is pretty damn immersive and does have options to turn off all the HUD and everything. Could be a good bet, the Darkness games are also pretty immersive, the first more so but the second is easier to get into and impossible to get lost on the subway and lose 15 hours of hard work to confusion.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The STALKER games, the Metro games and basicly a lot of other games where you can disable the HUD (been playing Medal Of Honor Airborne with the HER mod and no HUD and its pretty nice even for immersion).

Assassins Creed Brotherhood even though its a thirdperson game if you disable most of the HUD it can get pretty immersive. GTA IV in first person mode is also quite good at that.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Quicksilver_Phoenix said:
I'd say Metro 2033. The attention to detail is really high. And the feeling of exploring the overworld with a gas mask over your face is extremely claustrophobic.

This and the sequel, Metro Last Light.

I'd also recommend the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series. It's very easy to loose track of time, especially in Call of Pripyat (Very large maps)

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Another vote for Metro 2033 and Last Light in ranger mode. I don't know if I've had a more immersive first person experience. STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl with the 09 complete mod comes pretty close but I didn't find it as good overall. Bioshock's environments are artistically impressive but the stuttering gameplay continuously broken up by a hacking minigame kills the experience and it's why I've yet to complete it after all these years.

These may sound like obvious examples but have you tried Half Life 2 and the older Elder Scrolls games? I find this thread very interesting as it's probably my favourite type of gaming experience.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Dishonored is a recent one that's really incredible. Not terribly long, but the levels are very well designed and there's enough "content" for two playthroughs (murder spree + nonviolent rogue). The neat spells like Blink and the animations rarely taking you out of first person made it a really unique experience. Half life 2 has more or less the same feel (much of Dishonored's architecture is based on HL2's combine) but is fairly dated - still worth a play if you're into first person immersion. Lots of physics puzzles. Very creepy section early on. Great atmosphere, even though it's old.

Deus Ex: The New One is pretty solid as well, although most of the kill animations/wall breaking/long drops/etc force you into a third person cutscene, which kind of hurt the immersion somewhat. Still a solid contender.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Sounds like you need S.T.A.L.K.E.R. no other game is as immersive, Metro 2033/Last Light come close when using ranger mode hardcore, but it's still just a rail shooter, no freedom to explore. Still a great game, but cannot hold a candle to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I had a great time in Dishonored as well, also recommend the BioShock series.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I love that there are S.T.A.L.K.E.R people represented here at the Escapist.

On topic, aside from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, and I understand that it's all, well, blocks, but I do enjoy seeing what worlds will spawn in Minecraft.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
I'd say Thief (if you can stand dated graphic), and Condemned: Criminal Origin (don't have the second one, can't tell). Amnesia (personally for me it is too immersive, I can't play it). I'll also agree about Metro series.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'd have to give another vote for Dishonored. I'm playing it right now and I think the first person aspect adds to the tension when sneaking around, even though the game isn't unforgivably hard. It's a great experience in my opinion.

Also any Valve game. If you haven't already played/dismissed them all.

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
Oh man Stalker is one of the best games I've ever played. I think it might be time to play Metro. I can't believe i didn't think of that; its even in my steam library orz

Thanks you guys

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'd say (since people have already said Dishonored, BioShock, Amnesia, S.T.A.L.K.E.R and so on) Left4Dead 1 or 2, so long as you play with AI as opposed to other players.

I found myself getting very immersed in the atmosphere and the characters while playing it, Valve certainly knew how to create the Zombie apocalypse feel. Although you go into third person when you go down or do a special activity like turning on a generator.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
- Bioshock (first one on hard)
- Thief (1, 2 and 3)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R (all games)
- Dishonored (on hardest)
- Borderlands (first one mostly)
- Minecraft
- Crysis (first one on hardest)
- Far Cry 2 (and 3 if you disable Ambient Occlusion and find a way to shut up the player character)

And keep eyes on these two indie games coming out, (from now on it'll be mostly indie games because AAA games just want to be movies instead):

But back into AAA, some stuff to pay attention:

Werewolfkid

Nov 1, 2012
I love first person games. First game I ever played was Myst and it has had a lasting impact on me. One of my favorite game series is the BioShock games. Love all three of them. Loved Dishonored and Deus Ex Human Revolution. Metroid Prime got me in the the Metroid series as a whole. Just love first person as a whole. The only first person games I don't like are the Call of Duty Games, I just can't get into them. If you like them that's fine I personally just can't get into them. If i were to pick on first person game that immersed me completely I would say Myst III:Exile. Wonderfully designed puzzles and a great story as well. But, if your not into adventure games Singularity is an interesting game to check out. A mix of a lot of ideas from other games that still somehow manages to feel like something all it's own.