Immortals: Fenyx Rising Impressions - Funny Zeus

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
On the surface Immortals: Fenyx Rising looks exactly like every other Ubisoft produced game in the last ten years. A huge open world unlocked by sections ala Far Cry 5, each section filled with shitloads of random crap to do. From treasure finding, to puzzle solving, to collectables, to challenges, it's all stuff that has littered open world maps for ages. However like Saint's Row 3, Immortals takes the tone and dials up the funny to almost parody levels. I say almost because while the way the game presents it's story and it's characters is done with a constant level of humor, the gameplay remains standardly serious. You won't be fighting Greek monsters with dickbats or anything like that.

The best way I can describe Immortals is image if you set Breath of the Wild in Mythological Greek world, and then made every character funny. The dialog here is incredibly well written and makes every character funny in a way that isn't over the top, but rather non-chalantly snarky.

The story starts off with Typhon, some Greek monster I guess, having captured all the God or otherwise took away their powers. Zeus goes to the cousin Prometheus whom he imprisoned to eternity in chains and asks for help. His cousin says that Zeus imprisoned him, kept him in chains for all eternity to which Zeus replies, "Out of love." Prometheus can see the future and his way of helping is to tell the story of Fenyx a lowly shield barer who dreams of one day being a hero. Along the way Fenyx will fight and gather up famous greek artifacts like Icarus's wings, Hercules' bracers, granting Fenyx (who can be he or she depending on your character creation) the powers of the Gods.

Almost everything you do in the game is narrated by Prometheus and Zeus, usually Prometheus will describe you entering a dungeon or gathering a special item and Zeus will say something snarky about it. For example, like Breath of the Wild there are mini dungeons throughout the game in which the goal is to navigate the puzzles within and reach the end of the dungeon where a fragment of Zeus's lightning will await you. The First time you go to gather the lightning the dialog goes something like this.

Prometheus: "And then Fenyx gathers the bolt of Zeus"
Zeus: "And he/she died"
Prometheus: "That's what you think."
Zeus: "Nobody can handle that lightning but me, Fenyx is ashes on the floor now. Oh well."

And so on. I know this might sound annoying, to have such narration going on, but it isn't constant through moment to moment gameplay. It's done when special moments happen, like reaching a new zone, unlocking a new power, facing a boss, bigger moments for the most part. And honestly I found it quite charming.

Combat is a bit deeper than you would expect as well. You have fast sword attacks, heavy axe attacks that you can use to break enemy shields and guards as well as stagger enemies to open them up for big damage, bow and arrow include the power to control arrows mid flight which it important in a lot of puzzles. Double jump, glide, and the ability to pick up and throw heavy objects like boulders and statues and shit. Combat is responsive as well, allowing you to dodge or parry attacks quickly and you'll never feel like you got hit out of bullshit, it's always very clearly your fault and that feels good.

Overall the combat is nothing super exciting to write home about, but the way the set up the world and the charm every character you interact with presents, makes this experience way better than it should.

I think Immortal's is easily the best game out of Ubisoft this year, and quite a refreshing take over the other games that take themselves too seriously to be charming anymore.