Impressive Hollywood Fan Film Brings Half-Life Alive

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
This is probably the best half-life fan film I have seen. (Or at least tying with Half-life origins, which was more of a recording of the game, than a fan film proper)

The atmosphere was great and unlike most other fan film I have seen, it had an underlying narrative.

Also it is nice to see someone take up the first game, which in my opinion had a much better setting.

Dondonalien44

Dec 10, 2009
Am I the only one entirely unimpressed by this? XD
Maybe it's because I know how much it cost, and I've seen better fanvids made on more modest budgets. The effects were underwhelming.
Maybe it's because the tone was way off. Casual f-bombs and vocal protagonists don't belong in the HL universe. And when is this actually supposed to take place?
It doesn't offend me as a fan, but it strikes me as pointless.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
I thought it was fucking great! Then again I like short fan films better than the bloated pieces of shit big studios push out.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This lighting was really annoying. It made me feel like there weren't any sets, just a bunch of people floating around in nothing.

P.S. Thanks

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
It looked great, but it has the same problem as most fan made short films...it was boring as shit.

They pick a really insignificant part of the overall story and focus on that without showing anything on a macro level.

I get that short films are shot on small budgets, but i wouldn't watch it more than once, and i wouldn't watch a feature length film shot in that kind of boring detail.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
denseWorm said:
bafrali said:
Did Freeman just speak? YOU FOOLS!!! What have you done? Prepare for unforeseen conseqences.
Seconded!!!

Staff at Black Mesa are supposed to either recognize him or be in too deep a pile of shit to bother about his identity!

Still, not crap. It looked pretty slick but it wasn't very skillfully edited or shot, the acting wasn't bad though...

Sometimes a hug says much more than words

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Casual Shinji said:
I know there's a lot of work put into fan films like this, but whenever I seen them I can't help but find them very unbelievable and rather ridiculous.
They seem to be special effects experts first, and writers last. As with a lot of these Half Life videos (and indeed, most fan films of games) the creators seem to love wearing the costumes more than anything else, which doesn't make for a particularly entertaining movie. I'm sure they had a lot of fun making it though.