In Brightest Day

NeoShinGundam

May 2, 2009
Regardless of any early stuff, I fully intend to see Green Lantern in theaters. I refuse to pass judgement until I've seen the final product. Kilowog and Sinestro already meet with my approval, but Amanda Waller?! HOLY CRAP!!! I didn't think DC was gonna go with that route.

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
A. Not crazy about the direction of Hal Jordan's character. He's too cocky, and he was always fearless until the destruction of his hometown. This new Jordan seems too unsure of himself and not at all like the Hal Jordan I know and love. He reminds me of that stupid nancy-boy Rayner, who is such a loser he only got to be Green Lantern because the rest were dead and he happened to be walking near where Ganthet landed.

B. I don't think that's Krona, but it would be awesome if it was. The alien in the bubble has a more reddish/purple skin tone, leading me to believe it is Abin Sur, or possibly Sinestro (although the lack of hair make Sinestro the less likely choice, it would make more sense if the energy was Parallax).

But, I think the trailer looks more promising than I thought it would be.

P.S. IMDB has a posting for Mindy Caracciolo playing "Mr. Hammond's Student", and since the place he is looks like a lab and he seems to be wearing a lab coat or scrubs of some kind, it is possible that he is supposed to be some sort of research professor. According to Wikipedia (so take it with a large helping of salt):
"Peter Sarsgaard will play Hector Hammond in the upcoming live-action film, Green Lantern directed by Martin Campbell. In this version, Hammond is the son of former astronaut Senator Robert Hammond (Tim Robbins) who got him a job within a research company for the government. He obtains his powers while examining the dead body of Abin Sur; he is exposed to a piece of Parallax which was stuck in Sur's body and it causes his brain to grow continuously throughout the film, giving him telepathic and telekinetic powers in the process."

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
MovieBob said:
It's unknown what role he/it will play here.
Maybe it'll be a giant, looming cloud with a booming voice. That'd be cool, right?
The Random One said:
I learned all I needed to know about that trailer here [http://www.cracked.com/blog/why-new-green-lantern-movie-looks-so-familiar/].
Same.

Alzabane

May 30, 2009
I know it may sound like I'm jumping on the "BOO!! RYAN REYNOLDS!!" band-wagon but hear me out, I don't believe reynolds is suited to play hal jordan, he just doesn't... feel right, though I do think he would make an awesome flash, I only say this cause I'm a HUGE green lantern fan, and i REALLY don't want hollywood to screw this one up

-BloodRush-

Dec 15, 2009
boy you guys sure do complain alot. the makers are gonna stop listening to the audience if the audience keeps behaving this way. as far as i can tell, theyre really trying. lets see what the finished product is like eh?

minhoto

Jul 25, 2008
I'll probably get some heat for this but... I dont mind the costume anymore. I think they've done a pretty good job with it all things considered. But is anyone else having issue's with the domino mask. It just looks... wrong.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Boba Frag said:
Man, there's a LOT of hating on the as yet unfinished Green Lantern movie so far, isn't there? Great analysis, Bob.

I'm actually looking forward to it and can't wait to see Mark Strong's Sinestro...

That said, I'm aware they've made Hal out to be less than the fearless, no-nonsense man he is in the comics but I'm willing to forgive that for the sake of having a character the audience can identify with and who shares in their bewilderment at Green rings, Oa and Hector Hammond and all that other stuff.

I think I'm the only one who likes the concept of the ring replicating the musculature of its wielder and projecting that as their uniform/armour.
I think the danger of making comic based movies is having this ready made and hostile fanboy audience who obviously want to see it done right and be awesome, but I think are far too volatile when it comes to their demands on every single detail of the comic being followed.

I for one was delighted with Nolan's take on Batman and the minor changes and explanations he offered for the suit, Tumbler, Ras Al Ghul etc. Does he look like he does in the comics? No, he doesn't look like an exact carbon copy and that's actually a good thing.

Allowing a movie director some creative license is a good thing- we don't all have to jump down the throats of the film makers every time we spot a minor inconsistency.
I agree with everything you just said, and I'm by no means a GL fan (so I'm not biased), but I just really effing hate Ryan Reynolds. Even if they used Kyle whatshisname and their personalities matched more with the comics, it would still look like a cliched pile of shit.

But, the Amanda Waller thing is interesting enough for me to possibly go see the movie. Or just youtube the post credits scene.

llamaquest101

Nov 18, 2009
As a person who only knowledge of the green lantern comes from a couple of justice league cartoons that i saw this looks average at best. might be wrong though so i'll wait till nearer the time before dismissing it.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
The Bandit said:
Boba Frag said:
Man, there's a LOT of hating on the as yet unfinished Green Lantern movie so far, isn't there? Great analysis, Bob.

I'm actually looking forward to it and can't wait to see Mark Strong's Sinestro...

That said, I'm aware they've made Hal out to be less than the fearless, no-nonsense man he is in the comics but I'm willing to forgive that for the sake of having a character the audience can identify with and who shares in their bewilderment at Green rings, Oa and Hector Hammond and all that other stuff.

I think I'm the only one who likes the concept of the ring replicating the musculature of its wielder and projecting that as their uniform/armour.
I think the danger of making comic based movies is having this ready made and hostile fanboy audience who obviously want to see it done right and be awesome, but I think are far too volatile when it comes to their demands on every single detail of the comic being followed.

I for one was delighted with Nolan's take on Batman and the minor changes and explanations he offered for the suit, Tumbler, Ras Al Ghul etc. Does he look like he does in the comics? No, he doesn't look like an exact carbon copy and that's actually a good thing.

Allowing a movie director some creative license is a good thing- we don't all have to jump down the throats of the film makers every time we spot a minor inconsistency.
I agree with everything you just said, and I'm by no means a GL fan (so I'm not biased), but I just really effing hate Ryan Reynolds. Even if they used Kyle whatshisname and their personalities matched more with the comics, it would still look like a cliched pile of shit.

But, the Amanda Waller thing is interesting enough for me to possibly go see the movie. Or just youtube the post credits scene.
Yeah, Reynolds was an unusual choice alright... Seems to be a major sticking point for a lot of people, actually.
I'm willing to give him a shot, if only because I just want more DC superhero movies that aren't either Batman and Superman. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the Dark Knight, but DC has plenty of characters that deserve to be explored on screen.

No offence to Marvel, but I don't fancy the idea of a Marvel comics saturated movie line up for the next couple of years- although I'm really looking forward to more Iron Man and the new Thor movie as well.

Not so much on the Spiderman reboot, though...
That said, Avengers and Captain American will be unreal, I'm sure.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt until I see it, it looks promising to me. Yeah, there are some changes etc but you always get that with films, if you want to see a GL film, watch First Flight, that was pretty good.

As for this one, just wait and see. Personally, I think he is doing okay as Hal, a bit of a different take on the character, but not the worst it could be.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
It's pretty obvious that the Spectre won't make an appearance but considering one of the Green Lanterns becomes the Spectre do you believe they will go into that at all?

EDIT: I wish they used the 2nd Green Lanterns personality, I was already deeply annoyed with the character and it was only a three minute glimpse of what was yet to come.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
To all the people saying "Hal was a straight laced guy" he really wasn't. Sure he wasn't all Ruck Fules on the world but if anything...

Hal Jordan was a jerk, I mean a real jerk. He may not be in the current Geoff Johns run but that's after years of character development, derailment, and development again

skyfire_freckles

Jan 30, 2008
This trailer looks like just another douchy action flick to me. I'm not a GL fangirl, either; the only Green Lantern I ever knew was John Stewart from the Justice League cartoon.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Thanks for the lowdown on the trailer and Green Lantern info. I'm definitely looking forward to this movie!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
anian said:
p.s. I'd rather see a Deadpool movie with Ryan than this, I think the character suits him more (action, yet with a lot of comedy). I guess WB offered more money, or got some contract on him.
Luckily, you don't have to choose. Wait, yes, but choose? No.

I think it's probably a good thing Deadpool's slated for 2012. Plenty of time to get the taste of XMO out of our mouths.

Far as the movie goes, it looks unsurprisingly average, but I'm not sure it matters.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
If they lose the mask or at least give him normal eyes, then run over the CGI a few times for the suit then it will work. The main character has to look good or everything falls apart, and right now he looks rubbish.

T-004

Mar 26, 2008
anian said:
First something not really related - I know this is not going to be a deep story and there's not going to be a "Statue of Liberty in the sand" moment, but latest trailers (in general) seem to tell you the whole damn plots of the movies, first noticed this at Iron man 2, but a lot more movies seem to be doing that.

Fumbleumble said:
I know a lot of people are absolutely stoked about this movie... but I think it looks terrible, the cgi is piss poor, I've seen better (a WHOLE lot better) done by so called amatures.

They've also entirely screwed up his character... it's not Hal.
Well it's probably not the final FX version. Even Hal's suit looks wierd. Though the breathing and muscle movement might even be a bit "too real" (I think that's like how it'd probably look in real life, but looks strange when you actually see it that way).
Yeah, the character is, as far as my limited knowledge is conerned, a bit less Hal and a bit more "hero needs to overcome his fears and better himself so his triumph can be more obvious"

On the general note - this looks far from groundbreaking, and I was never that much of a fan of GL (too much aliens and their technology, just uninteresting in a superhero story IMHO). Also, "Green lantern: First flight" cartoon basically has the same plot (doesn't have the extra villian, but that's probably more due to length of the movie) doesn't it? Would be interesting to compare the two.

p.s. I'd rather see a Deadpool movie with Ryan than this, I think the character suits him more (action, yet with a lot of comedy). I guess WB offered more money, or got some contract on him.
Um....He IS doing the Deadpool movie :D ;d

anian

Sep 10, 2008
T-004 said:
Um....He IS doing the Deadpool movie :D ;d
I know he probably is doing the Deadpool movie, I meant it as just the Deadpool movie now and not in Green lantern at all...