In Case of Future: Break Glass

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
What would be in such a case? I thought of a few items, but nothing that really stood out as the obviously correct choice. Any input?

...yes, this is what I think about at night. What?

- J

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Stammer said:
...What are you asking?
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

In office buildings and schools and the like, one often sees glass cases containing fire extinguishers or axes or something. There will be a sign mounted to the case reading "In Case of Emergency: Break Glass". This is often where The Hero will get his weapon in the event of a sudden attack by monsters or something.

I was thinking about people's fears, and how the future was usually pretty high on the list, and how we therefore should develop some form of contingency plan and prepared stockpile to be used in the event that the future should happen. Then I started thinking about what would be inside a case that said "In Case of Future: Break Glass". Normally, when I start thinking along these lines, there will be an idea that pops in that seems (to my mind) to be the "right" answer to the question for me, whether it's the best punch line to the joke or the most practical device for the situation or whatever, but I have no clear picture of what would be in the future box. Thus, I'm looking for input. Clear?

- J

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Ahh...
Well, the thing in the box to help you in the future lest it cometh would obviously be a Mr. Fusion [http://www.yourprops.com/norm-446f7310f332b-Back+To+The+Future+2+(1989).jpeg]. Everybody needs immense power input, and now you can have it, fueled by Pepsi and banana peels.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
One thing that I know is going to happen is all human beings will be the same. This will be true in richer countries first and then eventually spread to third-world countries when the technology reaches them.

They already have the ability to alter genes to get rid of possible diseases and deformities in a child once its cells start to develop. They're also already talking about making it possible to choose your child's athleticism, intelligence, looks, and really anything along those lines.

One day, every human being is going to be an attractive human being with both reproductive organs, knowing the complete works of Shakespeare by age: 2, and being able to leap tall buildings with a single bound.

When this happens, I want out of the world.

owenstine

Apr 14, 2008
tiredinnuendo said:
I was thinking about people's fears, and how the future was usually pretty high on the list, and how we therefore should develop some form of contingency plan and prepared stockpile to be used in the event that the future should happen.
\

Mosin-Nagant, 50,000 Rounds, and lots of Smirnoff. Doth thou questioneth my logic?

TheKnifeJuggler

May 18, 2008
"In case of future: Break glass"

If the future included a computer gaining awareness and uprising, I would say the glass needs a REALLY BIG HAMMER.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Anarchemitis said:
Ahh...
Well, the thing in the box to help you in the future lest it cometh would obviously be a Mr. Fusion [http://www.yourprops.com/norm-446f7310f332b-Back+To+The+Future+2+(1989).jpeg]. Everybody needs immense power input, and now you can have it, fueled by Pepsi and banana peels.
Ha! Well said!

I would have to go with dental floss. Man, when a piece of something gets stuck between your teeth or in your gums and you can't get it out...awful! Ruins the whole day, not to mention the start of gingivitis.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
I've been mulling over it, and the best I can come up with is Religion. Or possibly soap.

What we're looking for here is something which could defeat the future, as a fire extinguisher in the "In Case of Fire" box would be used to defeat the fire.

As movies have taught me, 9 out of 10 futures are post-apocalyptic, and either dirty or sweaty depending on region, so soap seemed like a solid entry. But then I thought, "Wait! The problem with future is change! We need something that has a proven resistance to change if we are to defeat the future!" and the best I could come up with was religion (and don't go nuts on this point, I'm religious after all).

I still feel like there has to be a better answer though...

- J

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
Ciggies, ho-hos and beer. With those three things, I could ignore Thor himself. Or failing that, offer him a smoke, a couple of ho-hos and half the six-pack.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
since no one else has said it and may i also add for shame on you geeks :p

a towel, possibly a guiness bar towel since it is the future they might have them, but other than that just a plain old towel

Thais

Jun 12, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
since no one else has said it and may i also add for shame on you geeks :p

a towel, possibly a guiness bar towel since it is the future they might have them, but other than that just a plain old towel
Dig that hoopy frood! There's a guy who really knows where his towel's at! ;p

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
a belt-fed shotgun with mix-and-match ammunition types and an armored hazmat suit. i'm also keeping the sledgehammer needed to break it.

TheKnifeJuggler

May 18, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
Since I didn't think of that, the robots of the future have probably already won.

John Galt

Dec 29, 2007
Stammer said:
One day, every human being is going to be an attractive human being with both reproductive organs, knowing the complete works of Shakespeare by age: 2, and being able to leap tall buildings with a single bound.

When this happens, I want out of the world.
Did somebody say Ubermensch? I can't wait for a eugenics program. Nothing in any chemical bonds worth getting sentimental over. Besides, a world in which we all operated on an augmented physical and mental level would be nice. Ignorance would be all but stamped out as ability to process information was increased and there would still be enough emotional differences between people to maintain individuality. Granted, it'd be a much different standard of individuality but hey, it'd be a whole new species too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd get me a whole mess of pheromones. No matter what happens in the future, being able to chemically control people will be a bonus.

TheKnifeJuggler

May 18, 2008
John Galt said:
I'd get me a whole mess of pheromones. No matter what happens in the future, being able to chemically control people will be a bonus.
No. No it wouldn't.

If it was, then the entire idea of having freedom of choice would be destroyed. Also, the commercial industry would shove endless torrents of CRAP and you would feel as if your having the time of your life.