In defence of the Escapist - from a contributor.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
I'm still not renewing my subscription because I believe paying employees is a primary responsibility of an employer.

Having said that though...yeah, I guess you're right. The Escapist seems to have pulled a dick move, inadvertently or no, but I can't say as I particularly want this site to go down. I've not in my life met very many 'bad people' so I can pretty much take it as given the vast majority of the staff are nice.

Now having said that I am still pissed off mightily and will not be renewing because I was under the impression my subscription was helping pay wages and the EC lot were some of my favourites. I don't think I'm a bigger cog than I am but you know, a man has to follow his conscience.
Same, except I was never a Pub Club member. I was considering it, but now there's no way I'm going to.

So, yeah. I'm angry, but I'm not sure that going crazy and leaving this site forever is the best idea. And I do hope that something mutually beneficial gets worked out.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
The internet is a place of hyperbole, and unfortunately he who shouts the most outrageous accusation is often the one most heard.

I think there are a number of people who have expressed intelligent opinions on the issue... and then there are also a sea of snap judgments, made in an absence of information.

Anyway, thanks for the thread!

zephae

Aug 10, 2011
I think the focus on non-payment was actually the wrong thing for the community to be up-in-arms over for the most part. The revenue streams for sites like this aren't really that well-established because of the newness of the internet and a lot of us have completely unrealistic ideas of what advertisers pay. Had this simply been an issue of non-payment, EC could've just said "we understand you have financial troubles, but we can't go on like this forever and we don't see this trend turning around any time soon, so let's part ways." People don't always get paid or get paid on time in the media business and you can say what you like about bad management or business plans, but that reality isn't going away.

Non-payment for lack of funds feels like bad business all around. The charity money issue with it's questionable initial resolution (the game foundation) and conflation with the prior issue has the words "swindle" and "fraud" emblazoned all over it. It's pretty unfair to TE, even when I think EC was in the right, but that's what happens when you mix the emotions inherent in charity with the righteous indignation of not getting paid for your work.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:
yeah... so how should that help in this discussion. I'm pretty sure the guys from the SS also only have nice things to say about Hitler - does that makes Hitler a good person?
This is a completely ridiculous comparison, you have lost my interest and this exchange is over.

Also, Godwin wants a word with you.
If the shoe fits...
Yeah...you said that in this thread once already.

Nice to see you're good at this whole dicussion thing.

eximista

Aug 7, 2011
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:
yeah... so how should that help in this discussion. I'm pretty sure the guys from the SS also only have nice things to say about Hitler - does that makes Hitler a good person?
This is a completely ridiculous comparison, you have lost my interest and this exchange is over.

If the shoe fits...

Yeah...somebody also said that "Godwin" thing once already.

Nice to see you're good at this reading thing.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:

If the shoe fits...

I read at a 12th Grade level.......whatever that means.

My point was that the people who mentioned Godwin's Law were correct in saying so whereas your response was meaningless and added nothing.

Jun 11, 2008
To be honest I think as most people see that this is just a major fuck up on communication and certain assumptions were made. Now as for other contributors I don't know but both are to blame here as the overflow possibility should have been explored and taken into account which it wasn't. Also god damnit the sheep mentality in threads can be annoying at times even I am doing it a bit here. Someone needs to make the captchas easier.

HappyBirfday

Mar 18, 2009
mirror said:
I'm glad to see that the community is calming down in some areas. This site is based on great principles and the contributors to some pretty great work. I hope that the contributors can be amicable with the main staff and no one storms out. Money gets people upset, no surprise. That said, I am willing to throw money at a donation drive if it helps preserve this site. We can call it Escapist-Aid.
Seconded, but this site generates so much revenue (and if it's not, something is really wrong), that they should be able to handle payments. Either downsize personnel or lose content. Either way, the board of directors has a major wake-up call from this situation.

eximista

Aug 7, 2011
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:

If the shoe fits...

My point was that the people who mentioned Godwin's Law were correct in saying so whereas your response was meaningless and added nothing.
Well it means that I think to compare them would fit... or do you think I'm actually speaking about shoes??

...Just because Godwin alwayse does that - makes it invalid? or what??

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:

If the shoe fits...

Well it means that I think to compare them would fit... or do you think I'm actually speaking about shoes??

You compared The Escapist to the Nazis...the stupidity of that comparison alone invalidates itself.

Although I'm beginning to worry that we're on the way to derailing this thread...

BSCCollateral

Jul 9, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Hi guys,
I wish both parties the best and I hope it all gets sorted out and resolved in an amicable way.

Thanks for reading,

Gav (Miracle Of Sound)
I've always enjoyed your work, and I share your hope this is resolved.

eximista

Aug 7, 2011
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:

If the shoe fits...

You compared The Escapist to the Nazis...the stupidity of that comparison alone invalidates itself.

Although I'm beginning to worry that we're on the way to derailing this thread...
So did I wrote that escapist killed alot of jews...? No... I just wrote that he is not neutral... like statments from SS guys about hitler.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:

If the shoe fits...

Unless the thread is about nazis or genocide (both of which im fairly sure are unrelated to this topic), Hitler is NOT a suitable comeback! Ever!

Personally, I don't think its a good idea to go "J'accuse!" at any party yet. Just keep a cool head, and hope no-one gets sued into oblivion for this.

Jun 11, 2008
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:

If the shoe fits...

Do you really think that is going anywhere?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Glademaster said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:

If the shoe fits...

You mean the thread or my line of discussion with eximista?

Regarding the latter...no. It's not going anywhere. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't acting in a somewhat confrontational manner for which I apologise....but c'mon, Nazis? Really?

Jun 11, 2008
anthony87 said:
Glademaster said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:

If the shoe fits...

You mean the thread or my line of discussion with eximista?

Regarding the latter...no. It's not going anywhere. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't acting in a somewhat confrontational manner for which I apologise....but c'mon, Nazis? Really?
The latter. Well it took me 5,000 posts to stop being confrontational so I cant say much.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Saelune said:
Nice to hear from someone who is not going batshit crazy and threatening to boycott the site.
Well let's just take a moment to realize that all the bandwagon loving "evil, faceless corporation for struggling in times of crisis" perpetuating douchebags (who clearly have no idea the difficulties of business) have done just that: Boycotted the site. Ergo, what's left is the core of people who stopped to think about this before sticking the business end of a pitchfork up someone's arse.

To anyone who still feels some form of outrage is justified: as has been said before, The Escapist is having other difficulties. We as a group have been given a narrow, through the mailbox look at what's going on with the contributors. Let's all put down the aforementioned sodomy forks and relax. The only way things will go back to normal is if we stop pouring petrol on the fire.