In defence of the Escapist - from a contributor.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:
I would also defend them - if they would pay me money like they do it to you...
You realy think that what they did was "good" or "honest". My boss never owned me 20k of my salary.
Like I said in the OP, I can only speak for myself here, not for other contributors.
Oh look, another idiot who's quick to rush to a "side" rather than have a level-headed thought out discussion about the matter. That's just what we need right now.

The guy you quoted...not you.
Yeah... because the guy who get paid from them is so neutral...

What do you mean with "quick to rush to a "side""... I wrote both statements - and I'm on the side of extra credits. If Alex want to add something more - he should write something! but he can't... because he knows he was wrong...

OmniscientOstrich said:
Godwin's law strikes again!
If the shoe fits...
So what I'm essentially getting from your posts, you think that because they're paycheck is delayed(something they were told about up front, mind you) they need to riot and cause trouble instead of being calm about it and work out a peaceful solution.

By the way, by saying you're on the side of EC it proves you are "quick to rush to a side" just so you know. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but don't make the other people who work here feel like they're being dicks for having a sense of patience.

There is no true right or wrong here, because both sides have points they are in the right on and points they are in the wrong on.

Essentially, if you aren't going to contribute something helpful or let the other members/employees say their opinion without being a douche then just shut up and wait for everything to fully unfold.

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
Hi guys,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Gav or 'Miracle Of Sound' and I do an eponymous bi-weekly musical segment here on the site.

As most of you are aware, there has been some controversy relating to contributors getting paid. I have had a lot of people ask me what I think about this situation so I'm here to give you my thoughts, on the forum where I have spent so many good times and felt at home on over the last 3 years.

I can only speak for myself, my opinions and thoughts in no way represent or have anything to do with the Extra Credits team, the Escapist staff or any other contributor.

I have only been working with the site for a short time, but in that time I am happy to say that the staff of the site have been very honest and transparent with me about the situation they are in and how it affects me. I never once felt I was lied to, mislead or treated dishonestly. I have been told exactly what I am owed at any given time, in a direct and simple way that is easy to understand.

Obviously I cannot, and do not wish to, go into detail about the internal business dealings here. I'm just here to say that I think they are good people who work here. They have done me a couple of big favours at very short notice and helped promote my songs in numerous ways (Russ Pitts even spent a great deal of his personal Vacation last week making a video for a song because I urgently needed one for Bioware at Gamescon).

My opinion on the situation in question is that neither side is inherently bad or to blame, but that there has been a massive communication breakdown somewhere down the line.

I certainly do not believe in airing personal disputes on Twitter or in any other public forum, I do not believe in torches and pitchforks and I feel like we would all do well to avoid knee-jerk reactions.

I wish both parties the best and I hope it all gets sorted out and resolved in an amicable way.

Thanks for reading,

Gav (Miracle Of Sound)
Not to insult Gavin, but please note he said nothing about being paid.

Personally, if I had a boss tell me that they couldn't afford to pay me, regardless of how well they crossed the Ts and dot the Is, even if they were in financial straights, I would still be pissed that I wasn't getting what was promised to me. Work that doesn't get paid is volunteer work. While Jim and Gavin might be able to afford that, the Drinking Game guys and the dudes from the Pro-Gamer Gauntlet need that money.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Mikodite said:
While Jim and Gavin might be able to afford that, the Drinking Game guys and the dudes from the Pro-Gamer Gauntlet need that money.
Please don't make assumptions. I'm 2 months behind in my rent right now.

obehave_wan

Oct 20, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
My opinion on the situation in question is that neither side is inherently bad or to blame, but that there has been a massive communication breakdown somewhere down the line.
This is exactly what I thought after I read both sides.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Its a bad situation all around. Extra credits was probably my favorite contributor, and I really wish this hadn't happened. From what I have heard the Escapist has been a little unfair with them considering circumstances and how much of the rights for Extra Credits they claimed. Though maybe its an isolated incident, I hope it is. I'd really hate to see other programs like Miracle of Sound(love your work) or Jimquisition go.

eximista

Aug 7, 2011
blizzaradragon said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:
You realy think that what they did was "good" or "honest". My boss never owned me 20k of my salary.
Like I said in the OP, I can only speak for myself here, not for other contributors.
Oh look, another idiot who's quick to rush to a "side" rather than have a level-headed thought out discussion about the matter. That's just what we need right now.

What do you mean with "quick to rush to a "side""... I wrote both statements - and I'm on the side of extra credits. If Alex want to add something more - he should write something! but he can't... because he knows he was wrong...

OmniscientOstrich said:
If the shoe fits...
So what I'm essentially getting from your posts, you think that because they're paycheck is delayed(something they were told about up front, mind you) they need to riot and cause trouble instead of being calm about it and work out a peaceful solution.

By the way, by saying you're on the side of EC it proves you are "quick to rush to a side" just so you know. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but don't make the other people who work here feel like they're being dicks for having a sense of patience.

There is no true right or wrong here, because both sides have points they are in the right on and points they are in the wrong on.

Essentially, if you aren't going to contribute something helpful or let the other members/employees say their opinion without being a douche then just shut up and wait for everything to fully unfold.
Do you realy think they earn 20k in 1 month? they didn't pay them for about a year. AND thats clearly wrong!

So your side is that there are no sides... and I should not say my opinion... in a forum... Hitler also didn't like the opinions of others >_>

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Yeah, avoiding knee-jerk reactions is probably the best thing to do at the moment. I agree in that arguing over Twitter and Facebook is not a very wise decision. I'm staying neutral in all this, and at the very least I'm sure that none of the other contributors are involved and are not deserving of other people's ire.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
It's good to hear a level headed comment from someone that does work for the site.

I love your work, Age of the Dragon is one of my favorites. That one got stuck in my head for two weeks.

Generic Gamer said:
I'm still not renewing my subscription because I believe paying employees is a primary responsibility of an employer.
Actually payment of employees comes second in line. At least that is how I would run a company.

If the company is in some kind of trouble and needs the money to stay afloat, then the company gets the money first. Because if the company goes under, all the people that would complain about not being paid would be worse off, they would be out of a job.

So company first if it is in trouble, employees second.

In normal times, yes the employees are paid first and then the heads of the company, seeing as heads of companies get paid more, they shouldn't be as in need for the money as the lower employees.

If there is no way for the company to recover, then it uses the money left to pay the employees what they can and then let them go.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
I'm happy to see a bit more calmed people today as well. Business can get very ugly unfortunately. Here we have a classic and common issue. Two people get along really well and rush into an agreement without enough legal paperwork both thinking the other is on the same page. Now they are arguing over it.

The best business advice i have is this: the more you love the person your going into business with, the more paperwork there should be. The less you think you will ever need a serious legal document, the more you actually need one. It hurts more to disagree about money with a friend or loved one and it's difficult to make a rational decision about your money when your caught up in emotion.

I spoke with Alexander in a thread earlier today and I for one believe he has made some bad decisions, but in the end is trying to do the best he can in a crappy situation. Unless you have experience running a business the size of the Escapist, you cannot speak to the difficult decisions he has to make on a regular basis. Both sides have made a couple of bad decisions, but both sides are coming from a good place. It's like watching two good friends fight. You don't want to see it happen, but if it is you try not to take sides.

This is the last post of the short conversation we had. Scroll up to see the rest:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.306109-An-open-letter-to-James-and-Alexander?page=3#12311468

Note that someone wrote a thread called 'An open letter to James and Alexander' and Alexander read it and posted in it. Just saying.

I really hope the community can calm down and realize that we don't have to choose a side.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
eximista said:
blizzaradragon said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:

OmniscientOstrich said:
If the shoe fits...

Do you realy think they earn 20k in 1 month? they didn't pay them for about a year. AND thats clearly wrong!

So your side is that there are no sides... and I should not say my opinion... in a forum... Hitler also didn't like the opinions of others >_>
Yes it is wrong, but the Escapist didn't hide anything from their employees in this regard. Besides, if the company is in danger then the company should come first, because if the company goes under then you can kiss said paycheck goodbye.

Also don't misquote me. There are sides, but it isn't a simple "I'm right and you're wrong" type of sides. Like other people said, it's like watching two good friends fight in that both have good points but neither side is right or wrong. I also didn't say you can't say your opinion, but instead to say it in a way that actually contributes and makes things better instead of trying to devolve this rational discussion into anarchy and chaos.

Side note: Hitler comparisons are seriously not cool. My grandpa was forced into the Nazi army, so you can shove your Nazi and Hitler crap up your ass.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
What I want to know:

IF the escapist has had been having money issues, why didn't they ask for more donations?

It's clear from the amount of money that was donated to allision that we'd be willing to help...

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
eximista said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Please don't make assumptions. I'm 2 months behind in my rent right now.
Soso... you can't afford to lose this "job"...

blizzaradragon said:
eximista said:
blizzaradragon said:
eximista said:
anthony87 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
eximista said:

OmniscientOstrich said:
If the shoe fits...

Yes it is wrong, but the Escapist didn't hide anything from their employees in this regard. Besides, if the company is in danger then the company should come first, because if the company goes under then you can kiss said paycheck goodbye.

Also don't misquote me. There are sides, but it isn't a simple "I'm right and you're wrong" type of sides. Like other people said, it's like watching two good friends fight in that both have good points but neither side is right or wrong. I also didn't say you can't say your opinion, but instead to say it in a way that actually contributes and makes things better instead of trying to devolve this rational discussion into anarchy and chaos.

Side note: Hitler comparisons are seriously not cool. My grandpa was forced into the Nazi army, so you can shove your Nazi and Hitler crap up your ass.
In what kind of country do you life?? In our country you get your money... even if the company is down... well I dunno if its like that in the U.S.A...

Just to be clear. I don't think EC will come back. After a lawyer is involved you can't go back to "friends"... so the anarchy and chaos between escapist and EC is already there...

Alright alright... all this anger about the Hitler stuff (Ich bin Deutscher ich darf das) ... then you are like Major-General Raymond Hufft from the U.S. Army - he ordered to kill every german on sight - even if they surrender. He also didn't like other opinions.
I do live in the U.S.A., and I for one would rather wait for a year to get a paycheck and still have my job than get maybe 1/4 to 1/2 of it and watch the company go under. Especially if it's more of a side thing like a series of videos on a website, which gives me a chance to make money for doing videos instead of having them on something like a blog. After all, I doubt EC will be making money by going back to Youtube.

I'm gonna make a few last points before I'm done with this argument. The Escapist was upfront about what has been going on with their financial crisis with everyone(or at least everyone who has been willing to speak up so far). If they weren't okay with having to wait to be paid they could have either spoken up on it or left. Also this situation isn't that rare, especially in a creative department like this. It isn't like the Escapist is such a time consuming job for most of these people that they can't get a side job, especially having known what they were getting into in the first place.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Saelune said:
Nice to hear from someone who is not going batshit crazy and threatening to boycott the site.
Indeed it is,indeed it is.
But like I said,this fiasco has made three groups, two are white knights for each side,and the third consists of people smart enough to suggest compromise because in one way or the other,this is the fault of both sides. Something like this is extremely grey though nobody notices but a select few.

eximista

Aug 7, 2011
blizzaradragon said:
[...]
After all, I doubt EC will be making money by going back to Youtube.
[...]
Yeah nobody else will offer them a new contract. Only escapists do that...

They will FIRST go back to youtube... and then will go somewhere else. But they also have enough charity money... so they have plenty of time.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
It does indeed seem like a huge amount of miscommunication. Hopefully everyone involved can come to an amicable solution.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
I certainly do not believe in airing personal disputes on Twitter or in any other public forum, I do not believe in torches and pitchforks and I feel like we would all do well to avoid knee-jerk reactions.

I wish both parties the best and I hope it all gets sorted out and resolved in an amicable way.
Glad to see clearer heads emerging today. My already high opinion of you has increased. In addition to being an excellent musician, you are also clearly a gentleman in the finest sense of the term.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
NaramSuen said:
Glad to see clearer heads emerging today. My already high opinion of you has increased. In addition to being an excellent musician, you are also clearly a gentleman in the finest sense of the term.
Thank you :) Just giving my two-cents, I was going to stay silent but that kind of felt like I was being an ass to all the people messaging me for my thoughts or wanting to know if I wasn't being treated well. Felt I should clear things up.

There's a tremendous amount of goodwill from the community towards the contributors on this site and it's a silver lining on this whole ... mess.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Truly two of the most reasonable things I have heard said in this argument.
I really just hope this all gets sorted out. I don't think the folks at Escapist are bad people (though mistakes may have been made), and no one wants Extra Credits to leave.