In Her Image: a Pokémon RP

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
"You surpassed my expectations for you, ch-- Daria Pace."

Daria accepted the handshake and returned it with vigor, before turning and making a swift--though not rush--exit from the arena, and make her way to a Pokemon Center. She needed to get back quickly for the next match.

"Aw shoot, did I miss Matt?!"

Remy and company's attention was directed to the newcomer at the box, Daria, who looked disappointed as she stepped into their box. "I was gonna wish him luck in his match, but--"

Her eyes suddenly caught sight of a stranger sitting with them. A strange, affable-yet-unsettling man. She felt her stomach turn just looking at him.

"Uh... I don't think we've met, Mr..?"

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Indeed, this'll be the first battle for Matt Seras from Violet City since winning by default against an absent Kayla Denit. Let's hope he has the goods too.

"He must have been the one who I was supposed to fight. I guess we should cheer him on. What do you think King?" King barked in agreement. "Right. Lets cheer for him!"

Kayla took in a deep breath and yelled as loud as she could "GO MATTIE BOY!!! YOU BEAT ME! YOU CAN DO IT!" King joined in for a bit. When Kayla stopped to take a breath she switched over to a chant, "MATT! MATT! MATT! MATT! MATT! MATT! MATT! MATT!" Hoping the chant would be taken up by the entire stadium.

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing as his offer had gone unnoticed, and no one had called him out for his bad pun earlier; Caleb had noticed that Daria had forfeited the match. Initially, this had met with an angry audience, with which he partially feared a repeat of what happened to Darius; but all that changed once Forte had given some rather sound advice.

'Interesting, given the attitude she presented earlier, I thought that Daria would've gone all the way through the entire match; but given the state of her Slagger, it was a wise choice to make. Well done Daria.' Caleb thought to himself, but a smile appeared in public. Meanwhile, the next match between Matt Seras and that rather boisterous Jack Almond was beginning to get under way.

"Go on Matt, knock him down; I have faith in your battling skill." He then said aloud, cheering the Johto native on.

Anayna

Aug 10, 2009
INCREDIBLE! Daria Pace has forfeited the match! Surely she could've... Certainly Golem had a... This is just... SO SAD!

Wat

As Daria forfeited the match following Hitmonlee's defeat all color, what little there was of it, drained from Rupert's face. Daria, THE Daria, the Pewter Fist, the girl he feared even looking at lest he drew her gaze, was surrendering? 'Daria forfeited the match', that statement didn't even make sense in Rupert's head. It was like saying 'this smells blue' or 'the Magikarp won'. There was something fundamentally wrong with the sentence.

"Don't be such a sore loser, man!"

"Keep it up!"

As people started hurling abuse at the trainer, Rupert just felt numb. This confirmed his worst fears.

I could never be good enough for professional pokémon training! If Daria isn't good enough a trainer then I stand an Oddish's chance in hell of ever being good enough. This is utterly futil... huh?

As Daria walked out of the arena Rupert took notice of her face. It didn't look like the face of a loser. She was saddened, sure, but she seemed as vigorous as ever. There was still fire in those eyes.

"You still got one right?"

Wait... then she...

"THIS SUCKS!"

... I'm an idiot.

Amidst all the booing and heckling Rupert stood up and frantically started clapping. This loss didn't make Daria a worse trainer. In fact, it was a testament of her skills as a trainer. She had lost entirely on her own terms, and forfeited the match not out of despair over her own ineptitude. No, that would be petty. She had forfeited for the sake of her team.
Yes, not going all-out in a battle was doing a disservice to one's pokémon. This was exactly what Rupert was guilty of and it ate at him. If your team was willing to give everything it had for you, then you had to be willing to do the same. But prolonging a pokémon's suffering in a battle that was already lost? That was surely just as bad.

You already came to this conclusion, remember? "It's not about being the best. It's just about doing right by your team." Daria is way ahead of you...

Daria didn't see any point in prolonging a match already lost, because she truly cared for the team. To say that Rupert admired this trait in her would be to put it mildly. The seeming lack of consideration for the pokémon horrified him in tournament level fighting. To see such compassion in a trainer of Daria's caliber... why, it downright touched him.

Rupert kept on clapping, even after the commentators and the crowd slowly came to Daria's side, and didn't stop clapping until everyone was done cheering. He then sat down resolutely and marveled at how much his hands hurt.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Seeing as Savannah was either too engrossed in Matt's match or catatonic, Remy gestured for the stranger to take a seat.

"That's Matt's seat. Matt being the guy down there. You're free to sit there 'til he gets back."

The man smiled as he thanked the two for the offer.

"Ah, that so? Then don't mind if I do. I've been... waiting up there for a while now so I thought I'd sit down since it seems it'll be a while before I have to go."

Remy had a strange feeling about the guy. And so did Zangoose, although neither could put a finger/claw on what it was.

I don't like this guy... But he doesn't look suspicious as much as he's just weird.

Remy's line of thought screeched to a halt when he heard a familiar voice.

"Aw shoot, did I miss Matt?!"

Remy looked up. It was Daria. In the wrong box. With no one in hers. What was she thinking?

"Da--"

"I was gonna wish him luck in his match, but--"

So that's what it was! Better get her on her way befor she--

That's when Daria's eyes met Anton's. There was a weird silence as the pewter native examined the man occupying Matt's seat.

"Uh... I don't think we've met, Mr..?"

The man stood up. He was tall, looking down on Daria with what seemed to be some kind of trademark smile. An arm made its way out from the suit slung over his shoulders.

"Oh, weren't you the child that just fought that burly fellow? It was a shame that you lost. I liked your spirit. Ooop! How rude of me! I should introduce myself, heheheh. Name's Wilson, lil' Miss. Anton Wilson."

Sorry for the lack of Matt action. Posting from work so no access to Chopper's movelist. Will post it later. Also, excuse me for the poor quality in writing. I'm rusty and tired.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Daria was extremely proficient at reading others. After she'd battled them. As it stood, calling her oblivious wouldn't be far off as she cheerfully shook Wilson's hand.

"Uh, thanks mister! Pleasure to meetcha!"

Her moment of hospitality gone as quickly as it came, she leaned over to get a view of the battlefield. "Machop vs. Ventus, huh? Good choice."

She slapped Remy on the shoulder as she started to leave. "Let Matt know I stopped by, 'kay? And tell him he did awesome and I'm totally proud!"

She rethought her statement and added, "Maybe tone it down a little bit if he loses."

With a casual wave, she stepped out of the box and returned to her side of the stadium.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
Tom hadn't expected that. He had been concerned that Daria would not be able to defeat Forte from the beginning, knowing that even the pewter fist herself would have a tough time against one of the more powerful Veilstonians. But a forfeit? It was strange, but Tom realized that without Jet, she would have to throw in Slagger, who was tough, but no match for a fighting type. Especially not one as powerful as that Hitmonchan. Accepting this he joined Rupert in giving Daria a standing ovation for the amazing battle. She definitely deserved it, especially with the all the booing she was getting from almost everyone else.

Oh wait. I've got a possibility of facing Forte in a battle soon... Crap. I'd even rather battle... I dunno Daria? I'd definitely rather battle Ada, at least I won't realize how bad I'm doing through that infatuation. Although I don't know which i'd consider worse. Losing to Forte smashing my team in, or losing because I can't think straight due to a small, well I guess huge, crush.. Luckily she's not in this tournament. Well, if she is, there's no chance she's up against me. Oh Dialga! Now I'm hoping she is! Stupid crush. You stop that.

Tom could feel the warmth of his face flushing just as Matt walked into the arena. Kusari gave him a strange look as he stood up.

"I'm just going to get some fresh air Rupert. Uh.. Maybe a snack too. I'm feeling a bit.. Uh.. Peckish. That's it. See ya soon!"

With Kusari clinging to him for dear life, Tom raced out of the stands, and surprisingly was able to not run straight into anyone. Reaching the food court he looked around to see only about seventy or so people milling about, and eating. A few were hurriedly placing bets on Matt's battle before it started officially.
Going straight for a drink stand, he decided to get a pinap berry soda, his favorite flavor. He also looked around for some kind of pizza stand. He was slowly calming down.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
"Alright, you know what to do! Double Team, followed by Aerial Ace!"

"Awwwright, Chopper! Start with a Karate Chop! Follow that up with a nice Seismic Toss!"

Chopper nodded in agreement and rushed towards Ventus, who was already flying all over the stadium in seemingly random patterns at an amazing speed, leaving afterimages in his wake.

Not enough to fool me, must've been what Chopper thought as he brought down his hand on Ventus' neck.

Missed. Chopper hit air as Ventus prepared to strike, diving down from high up in the sky and slashing at the wide open defenses of the Fighting-type. As Chopper got up from what had to have been a damaging attack, his Trainer adjusted his baseball cap as he thought for a second. He then looked up, grinned and said something that would rock Matt's world for years to come.

"Hmmm. I think it's time ta switch condiments, cause that weaksauce ain't helpin'. Chopper, come on back brotha!"

A somewhat disappointed Chopper returned to his Pokéball as Jack took out his next combatant.

"Go get 'em Swell!"

"Use Quick Attack and then Double Team! Follow up with a Peck."
______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Let Matt know I stopped by, 'kay? And tell him he did awesome and I'm totally proud! Maybe tone it down a little bit if he loses."

Remy waved Daria goodbye as the stranger called Anton continued to talk, much to Remy's chagrin. He was generally a people person, but this guy just irked him.

"Heheh. People really love Pokémon battles, don't they. All this fanfare, billions of Pokédollars worth of endorsements... The most popular sport in the world. Hehheheh. Not my cup of tea though you know..."

Remy looked at the suspicious man as he cautiously asked him:

"Hm? What do you mean?"

Anton looked at Remy and Savannah as his smile widened a smidgen.

"Well..."
______________________________________________________________________________________________

As Tom munched on some pizza and drank his Pinap Berry Soda and nervously thought about his encounter earlier that day, he was startled by a VERY familiar voice.

"Tom! Tom Relict! Thank Celebi I found you on time!"

It was her. Ada.

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
"Use Quick Attack and then Double Team! Follow up with a Peck."

Matt's grin spread even further as Jack's new Pokemon took to the air. Things were getting off to a great start; that hit had to have done some serious damage to Chopper. Time to see just what Swell was made of...

"Ventus!" the trainer cried out, clenching his fist and swiping it through the air. "Show them the meaning of haste! Match their Quick Attack with one of their own, then use Aerial Ace to slice through that Double Team! Once you've got Swell reeling, hit 'im with another Quick Attack!"

"Rrrrroooooo!" came the answering shout, and Ventus flashed through the air, dashing towards the Swellow with incredible speed.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
As Kayla roared from the stands, the din of the biggest crowd in the region gathered all around her, one voice drowned out the others as if they were whispers.

"COME ON MATT! KICK HIS BUTT!"

Daria was down at the railing, yelling a few words of encouragement before trying to track down her new friend.

"GOLEM GOL GOL!" shouted Slagger, happy to join in the excitement. Her other Pokemon, already out of their Pokeballs, had scattered. Jet was nowhere to be seen, and Spiegel had found an empty seat and taken it for himself, trying very hard to ignore the hammer Gemini was idly swinging around his face.

Satisfied with her own team spirit, Daria jogged up a few flights of stairs and rejoined Miss Denit. The smile on her face was reality-defying in size, as was to be expected, and seemed to lack the negative emotions a sane human being would be expected to have.

"Hey," she said, almost laughing it in her incorrigibly positive mood. "I heard ya cheering earlier; thanks."

She looked down at the field, watching the Pokemon trade blows. Her eyes lit up as she watched the birds flit through the air. The grin was growing, apparently impressed. It was almost an afterthought to ask about her friend's opponent; she was learning things far more important than a name just by watching him fight.

Still, she did so regardless. "Any idea who the crazy fella is?" she asked Kayla, hoping she'd been paying some attention to the announcers. Daria certainly hadn't.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
"Tom! Tom Relict! Thank Celebi I found you on time!"

"PFFFMCHHMFFF!"

Surprised completely Tom had, at the same time, spit out and absorbed his soda into his lungs. Starting to cough, he said with a strained voice, "Oh hey there *cough* ada!.. I uh hi..."

He tried to hid his blush with the slice of pizza, but that just made him feel sillier.

"so uh um... What brings you all the way here?"

Oh no! how come this is happening! This isn't good! This is not one bit of good at all! What's she doing here?! I gotta get outta here! I have to... Ugh.. this is idiotic. just try too keep it down and listen to what she has to say to you. Calm down Relict, just calm down and stay focused...

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
"Um I think the announcers said his name. Started with a J. John? Joe? Jacob? Oh I got its Jill! COME'ON MATT BEAT JILL'S ASS TO THE GROUND! " Kayla turned back to face Daria. "I think his name is actually Jack," Kayla grabbed her three other pokeballs and rolled them around in her hand. "Are you sure that you should be letting your pokemon wander around? I mean they did just fight a pretty tough battle," Kayla tossed her three pokeballs on the ground realesing a Fearow, a Scizor and a Luxio.

Luxio started to immediately attempt to have a glaring contest with King but King just ignored him preferring to watch the fight between the two bird pokemon as their battle soared around the stadium. Eventually Luxio got bored and looked around for another rival, his eyes spotting Spiegil.

The Fearow spread her wings and flew above the stadium and looked down at the two battling birds, almost wishing that she could be in there too, mad at the thugs who had made her and her partner late.

The Scizor found an empty seat and lounged in it, enjoying being out of her ball after the long trip here.

Kayla rested on the railing and sighed, "Man I wish I was down there. I was really looking forward to this."

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Ventus was read to execute Matt's orders when...

*WHOOSH*

Swell was but a blur as he disappeared into thin air. the Pidgeotto was no doubt aware of the amazing speed Swellow were blessed with but this was ridiculous. Ventus didn't even have time to process the idea of trying to dodge the attack when Swell hit him from below, sending the Flying-type hurtling down towards the ground.

Ventus quickly regained stability, however and quickly flew off to counter Swell's Quick Attack with one of his own. Swell took the attack in stride and upped the ante by using Double Team, making the next hits more difficult to connect.

Matt wasn't going to give up though, and he had the right idea. Aerial Ace. The seemingly erratic pattern of the move ensured a hit and this time Jack's Swellow felt the pain. As he recovered from Ventus' strike, the Hoenn Flying-type went in for a Peck, only to have it miss and his foe to appear from behind with another Quick Attack.

Swell wasn't taking that lying down though. Using his own Double Team and speed, the Swellow made Ventus' Quick Attack miss.

"Nheheh. Looks like we've got a real awesome battle going on here brotha! Swell! Use Pluck, then Double Team and then a Quick Attack!"

Pappytech

Jun 7, 2011
"Can't keep up, huh?" Matt muttered to himself as Ventus tore through one of Swell's after images. Well, it was only to be expected; Swellow was one of the fastest Pokemon around, at least according to the Pokedex.

"Alright, if we can't beat them in speed, we're gonna have to do it with strategy!" The trainer listened closely as Jack shouted out his commands, then threw together a few of his own. "Ventus, hit 'em hard and fast! Use Aerial Ace, then Double Team, then Ace again!"

Matt allowed himself a grin as Ventus reoriented himself, readying his beak and talons for the next attack. Aerial Ace was one of Ventus' best attacks, and its incredible accuracy would tear through Swell's Double Team like it wasn't even there. Meanwhile, using a Double Team of his own would up the Pidgeotto's evasion, hopefully enough to dodge that Quick Attack...

"Come on buddy, you got this!"

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
As Ventus prepared for his next run, Swell was already on top of him. With no time to make an evasive maneuver, Matt's Flying-type had no choice but to endure the barrage of beak that came with his foe's Pluck. Once that was done, however, it was Ventus' turn.

Expecting Aerial Ace, Swell immediately bolted away, trying in vain to avoid the attack. But Ventus' feint did its job and the Aerial Ace found its target, causing Jack's Pokémon to feel the pain again, despite his use of Double Team.

Fighting through the hurt, Swell sped up again, using a second Double Team. Ventus did the same. The audience could be heard letting out a few ooohs and aaahs as both Flying-types showed off their aerial prowess, zipping all over the stadium's airspace. Then, Swell attempted a Quick Attack, rushing towards his opponent at amazing speeds.

Only to fail. Swell saw Ventus do a backflip halfway before slashing down with another Aerial Ace. That was it. Swell couldn't go on and began falling down towards the ground, all the while Jack just stared at his defeated Flying-type somewhat disappointedly.

*THUMP*

AND SWELLOW IS DOWN! That makes Matt the winner of this first batt--

*RRRUMBLE*

Eh?

The audience and the announcers were all silenced by what seemed to be a tremor. I might well have been quite a fall, but surely Swell's light body wasn't to blame for the seismic event.

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY, YOU SICK BASTARD?!?!?"

On the South side, Remy had just burst up from his seat and grabbed Anton by the lapels of his shirt, his eyes roaring with anger. Whatever the strange man had said, it had made Remy very, very angry. Anton simply chuckled. He didn't resist. He just stood there. Smiling.

That's when Zangoose realized what was so wrong about the man. A Seviper. He looked and felt just like a--

*RUMBLE*

"Heheheheh... You heard me boy."

Anton now freed himself from Remy's grip and laughed somewhat disturbingly as two degenerate looking men joined him in dark suits. It now dawned on Remy and Savannah that Anton and the men that had joined him were the very same men they were supposed to stop.

"Damn it... You..."

"Ah yes, yes. That's right! We're not exactly men of good social standing. That there's the sign I've been waiting for. Now I get to have some fun!"

*RUMBLE*

On the North end the spectators were startled by what must've been a bellow rivaling anything ever done by Daria. Kayla would recognize him as the weirdo with the tracksuit.

"ALL RIGHT MAGGOTS! THAT THERE SIGNALS THE END OF THIS LIL' SHOW! YOU MIGHT BE NOTICING MEN CLAD IN BLACK SUITS FLOODING THE OTHER ENDS OF THE STADIUM! ME? I LIKE TO WORK ALONE!"

The young man pointed at himself with his thumb, breathed deep and continued.

"NAME'S ANTHONY SILVER! GIVE UP YOUR POKÉMON AND YOU WON'T GET HURT! YOU GOT A PROBLEM, YOU TAKE IT UP WITH ME!"

The man flashed a bewildered smile. He was ecstatic

In the West end Duskull and Hoothoot both sensed danger. But it was too late. A veritable crowd of degenerates in suits came busting in. Ordering everyone to give up their Pokémon or face the consequences. Lee found himself with two grunts on each side, but Rupert was even worse off, with no less than four of them around him. Where was Tom?

"So uh um... What brings you all the way here?"

"I came here because you dropped Kalmia's Pokéball on the field we battled on earlier. Thought you'd need her for your next--"

*RUMBLE*

In seconds there was pandemonium everywhere. That's when Tom remembered what he should be doing.

On the East end, Mightyena and Raiden were growling at the grunts staring their Trainers down. Whismur was far too busy having a minor panic attack. There were a lot of them. Seven in total. It was fight or flight.

Matt and Jack however had it the worst. The tremors intensified until...

*BABABOOOOOM*

An enormous hole blew wide open in the middle of the stadium, showering Matt and Jack in debris. An angry looking, bald man with a Garchomp tattoo on his head came out. It was him. It was Eres.

Eres' eyes quickly caught a glance of Matt. He slowly walked towards the boy with murder in his eyes as he spoke.

"Well then. How'd you like to be the first to surrender your Pokémon, kiddo?"

Ventus tried to swoop in in defense of his Trainer but was easily swatted away by the monstrosity that had blown open the hole.

STEEEEEEELIIIIIIXXX!!

The monstrous roar filled the stadium as Eres' Pokémon came into view.

"I'll ask you again, kid. You have something for me?"

The audience was panicking in fear, the announcers had fallen silent and the authorities were proving incapable to handle the situation.

For 10 young Trainers, this was going to be a long night.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Kayla walked up to the man and stood right in his face, standing on her tip toes to make herself taller and yelled as loud as she could," YEAH I GOT A PROBLEM WITH YOU, YOU DUNG SMELLING, PISS DRINKING, TWO FACE ROTTEN BELLY PERVERT! I mean just look at that track suit! It is one of the most ugly things I have ever seen. Those colours so do not match and the cut of it. Urgh. Where on earth did you get it! A dump? We have some major work do to," Kayla stepped back away from the man, "King! Use Flame thrower to get rid of these horrendous clothes!" King jumped and let lose a stream of fire at the track suited man, burning off his clothes, "Milan use Thunder Wave so he can't run away!" Milan the Luxio, not to be outdone by King. charged up a ring of electricity and fired it at the man, aiming to paralyzeing him.

"AND NOW IT'S MINE TURN!" Kayla yelled as she wound up and kicked the man in the balls.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
The man flashed a bewildered smile. He was ecstatic.

"YO! SILVER!"

A Pokeball whizzed past the man's face to grab his attention.

Daria advanced up the steps, cracking her knuckles and rotating her neck to loosen it up. Gemini, Spiegel, and Slagger fell in behind her. Her shades had been place back on her face, glinting in the light with a malicious look, not at all helped by the downright monstrous grin on her face. She opened her big mouth, and started to shout in a voice to match his.

"I GOT A PROBLEM WITH YA! I GOT A PROBLEM WITH YOUR FACE, I GOT A PROBLEM WITH YOU BURSTING IN ON MY PAL'S MOMENT OF GLORY, AND I'VE GOT ONE HELL OF A PROBLEM WITH YA GOING AFTER FOLK'S POKEMON! THAT'S KINDA RUDE, SO WITH THAT IN MIND DRAGON RAGE!"

Spiegel got the hint fast and leaped up past her, opening his mouth and unleashing a gout of powerful green flames.

"CHAR CHARMELEOOOON!"

Evrant-Knight

An Interloper
May 5, 2010
Bristol
Country
United Kingdom
All around them, as the match was being played out, a distant rumble could be felt by the spectators. Matt's Ventus had just managed to beat Jack's Swell with a well placed combination of both Aerial Ace and Double Team, when suddenly... *KABOOM!*, as a Steelix burst itself from out underneath the ground, showering the lower section of the arena in dirt and rubble. As this exact moment, dozens of men in black suits simply poured out from the arena entrances, surrounding the place.

'*sigh* Well ain't just terrific, first the power cut, now these guys.' Caleb said to himself sarcastically, as seven men in suits surrounded himself, Darius and Ryan. Both Raiden and Mightyena were growling at the trainers that stared down their own. Caleb's hand gripped around the grip of his blade, slowly unsheathing it, before he released it.

'No, tis not the correct method for dealing with these people, it would be considered rather ungentlemanly. Rest easy though, you might see some action yet if it is called for.' He said to his blade, before turning his head towards Darius and Ryan, who were already in a battling pose.

"Right, it looks like we may have to fight our way out chaps. I suggest that you two take on the four facing you, whilst I deal with the other three. Any objections or other ideas, I'd be glad to hear them." Caleb asked politely.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
The stadium moved, pokemon popped out of the ground, and seven guys in suits in front of the three of them. And then the rich boy started in on them, talking about how he could take on three opponents simultaneously. Darius had seen him in the tournament, he was good, but he doubted he was that good, and his pokemon weren't anywhere near as strong as he was assuming they were. Whismur looked up at him, eyes watering from the sudden explosion of motion and noise from around the stadium.

"Any objections or other ideas, I'd be glad to hear them."

"Yeah, nobler noble sir,"He said sarcastically as he reached for a pokeball, then speaking directly to Whismur,"Next time you come out, start screaming as loud as you can, think you can do that for me?" She nodded, hands over her floppy ears and tears beginning to run down her face.

Darius smiled at her and returned her to the pokeball, taking Knuckles' and Daffy's balls from his belt and sending them out. Both were suitably confused for a moment at being let out, and having the other pokemon growling at the men in suits.

"Let's get it on then, boys,"A glint in his eye and his still-smoking pipe clenched between his teeth,"What'd ya want? Rockets went bye-bye years ago, so who the hell are you?"

Daffy and Knuckles had their own way of saying they were ready, each crossing their arms and leaning back on one foot, the other forward, but still having comical expressions plastered on their faces.

Pappytech

Jun 7, 2011
Things had seemed to be going great. Swell had been knocked out, Ventus was still moderately healthy, and the fight was undeniably leaning in Matt's favor. If Jack brought Chopper back out, then Ventus could probably take him too, and if it was Kip, then Matt could just switch out for Persephone. Yeah, everything seemed to be working out great.

It took seconds for it all to go to hell.

*BABABOOOOOM*

The floor beneath Matt's feet shuddered and buckled as an explosion in the arena's center hurled up a massive cloud of dust and debris. Reflexively bringing his arms in front of his face, the trainer cried out as he was showered with bits of rock and shards of metal. Blood staining his jacket sleeves crimson, he fell backwards, landing roughly on his back with pain dancing all over his body.

Squinting, Matt tried to peer through the shroud of smoke that poured from the hole in the stadium's ground. To his shock, a man soon emerged from the cloud, a snarl on his face and rage burning in his eyes. "Well then. How'd you like to be the first to surrender your Pokémon, kiddo?"

"Pidgerrroooooooo!"

Before Matt could even process the situation, much less formulate a response, Ventus was tearing through the air, lancing towards the interloper with claws and talons. No one, NO ONE, threatened his trainer and got away with it.

But as the Pidgeotto rocketed toward the seemingly unsuspecting man, Matt saw something else lurking in the smoke and a wave of panic cascaded down his spine. "Ventus," he shouted frantically, "look out!"

Matt's warning came too late; the Steelix's massive tail lashed through the air, slamming into Ventus and sending him hurtling to the ground. The Pidgeotto managed to gurgle out a squawk before passing out, lying limply on the unforgiving ground.

"I'll ask you again, kid. You have something for me?"

The man's voice dripped with contempt, and Matt couldn't help but shiver in fear as the harsh words cut through the air. Every single fiber of his being was shouting at him in unison, unanimous in their pleading cries: this was not a foe to be trifled, this was a fight he had no chance of winning. He had to run. Run. RUN.

Scrambling backwards on his hands and knees, it took a few seconds for Matt to stumble to his feet. Fumbling with his belt, the trainer finally managed to extract Ventus' ball and point it at the unconscious Pokemon. "Ventus, return!" As the Pidgeotto dissolved into a ball of scarlet light, Matt turned and started to charge as fast as his legs could carry him. The exit couldn't be more than a hundred yards away; if he could make it that far then he could escape, he could get out of here safely, he could-

SMASH

Another cloud of debris was kicked up as the Steelix slammed its tail just in front of the fleeing trainer, cutting off any escape routes the lad might have taken. Desperatly trying to slow down, Matt's attempt at skidding to a halt sent him tumbling to his hands and knees again, his momentum too much for a bit of backpedaling to overcome. The trainer groaned as he struggled to rise to his feet for a second time, his panicked eyes sweeping the stadium. Dread and despair started to course through his veins as he saw dozens of suited figures making their way through the stands, their mere presence enough to send most of the audience fleeing in terror. And meanwhile, here in the arena, that man kept advancing, staring at Matt as though he was little more than a bug to be squashed underfoot.

Can't run... The Steelix was eyeing him the same way that Ventus would eye Caterpies or Weedles, like he was prey that was barely even worth hunting.

No help... The men filling the stands would probably be getting Looker and the others' attention; odds were that they wouldn't be able to help him until they had dealt with their own fights. And Jack was still somewhere on the other side of the smoke. Hopefully he was okay...

I... I... Matt's entire body began to tremble as he tried to find a course of action, any option that would get him out of here in one piece. But, no matter how many times he ran through it, there was only one option:

F-fight...

"SPIKE!" Matt's terrified shout rang out as he hurled a Pokeball through the air. The red and white sphere bounced off the ground, splitting open and letting the Cyndaquil out into the chaotic scene. "FIRE SPIN!"