In Memory of One_Of_47

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
In Memory of One_Of_47

A week ago, long-time Gamers With Jobs forum member One_Of_47 (AKA Joe Massey) died suddenly from complications of Legionnaires Disease, a rare form of pneumonia. He had just returned from a family vacation with his wife Jane and their seven year old son. He was 38.

Jane Massey, who is now a widow, posted the news to the Gamers With Jobs community on Friday, using Joe's account. I am still a little numb from the surrealism of reading that post. It affected me deeply. And it would appear that I am not the only one.

Click the link above for the full story of this tragic event and the incredible generosity of Joe's online friends.

Jul 12, 2006
We exist in this wonderful bubble of the internet. The communities we build, and insulate ourselves in are ways to escape the callouse hand of our day to day life. Sometimes, we search for amusement, other-times we counter with arguements...

I didn't know this person, but I know the feeling all to well of losing someone of whom the internet had drawn close to me. My condolences to all, especially the wife and child.

On a side note, is there a memorial fund? Maybe a something to help put her son through college, or just help them to pay rent/survive?

Jul 12, 2006
Thank you very much Fletcher, I hope all the Escapists take a moment to bow their heads and even though the name of the magazine harkens unto the Escapism that we all give into... I hope it doesn't keep us from truly opening our empathy and feelings to this family.

There are other families like them across the country and the world, but rarely are they given a face.