In what games do we torture people?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I can only think of the awful Punisher game from a few years ago and Splinter Cell: Conviction, but Conviction's was funny, such as:
VP: "You can't touch me, Fisher. I'm Bulletproof, Hear Me? BULLETPROOF."
Sam: "Really?"
*shoots kneecaps*
VP: "AAGH! You shot me in the knees , you bastard! I'll have you killed!"
Sam: "You kinda need to work on the whole 'Bulletproof' thing"

Or stabbing some terrorist guy who plans to kill the president with the american flag. IRONY!

the wako kid

Mar 31, 2010
Varanfan9 said:
Just a quick question for the Black Ops one. Is it a cut scene or are you actually participating in it. That was kinda what I was going for. The player is actually doing the torturing.
you are controlling a character and you torture a german scientist by first breaking a nearby window with the left trigger, taking glass out of the frame and putting it in the scientists mouth,and then punching him in the face with right trigger. i felt a little hollow inside afterwards.

Yohaun

Jul 29, 2009
GTA4 The Lost and the Damned.
Right after the first mission I do believe that the bikers are torturing some guy.

Apr 25, 2009
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Digi7 said:
Arcane Azmadi said:
Arcane Azmadi said:
You know, I think the sad truth we're reaching here is that in this particular case, the anti video game activists are actually right. OP asked which games we torture people in expecting a "none, they're all full of shit" response and instead picked up a big list of games with torture sequences in them. The issue is now whether or not this is actually a problem.
Goddamn, people. Interrogation (even the scene in Black Ops) =/= torture.

Torture is something completely different.

The answer is none, as long as we aren't counting certain H-games and flash games.
Sorry, that point of view is simply wrong. If you tie a guy to a chair and inflict agonizing pain on him until he talks then you're torturing him. Period. This is NOT a matter of opinion here.

Um, yeah it is. Anything is a matter of opinion.
No. No it is not. You're just playing with semantics, except you really don't understand what you're talking about. You can HAVE an opinion on anything you like (although it's perfectly possible to be be simply wrong), but hard truths and facts of reality are not matters of opinion. The colour of the clear-weather daytime sky is not a matter of opinion; it's blue. The weight of a 50kg dumbbell is not a matter of opinion; it's 50kg. The date of my birthday is not a matter of opinion; it's the 19th of September. Whether or not violent interrogation is torture is not a matter of opinion; it is. You can have the opinion that it isn't, of course, but you would simply be wrong.
Except violent interrogation being torture isn't a fact of life.
Yes, yes it is. Read the definition.
Definitions aren't set in stone. They change as society dictates. The definition may be that way now, but once people stop being stupid and aren't afraid to beat someone a bit, it'll change.
You really are trying to cover up your mistakes with stupid excuses aren't you?

If I punched you in the face repeatedly with red-hot brass knuckles so you would give me your packet of M&Ms, or tell me where that packet of M&Ms is, and I am specifically inflicting pain on you (to torture someone is to KNOWINGLY INFLICT A GREAT AMOUNT OF PAIN UPON THEM) so you would tell me this information, HOW IS THAT NOT TORTURE AS IT IS CURRENTLY DEFINED?

All this talk of the changing of definitions is bullshit. We are talking about the word as it is currently defined.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Varanfan9 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
MGS1 Electrocution? MGS2 Suffocation?
No the player has to do the torturing not be tortured.
And I know about the torture game on newgrounds but I am more looking for non internet flash games.
Ah, fair enough.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
GodofCider said:
Varanfan9 said:
"...heard from anti video game activists (that) we apparently torture people in games."
Strange how we never hear about the anti book activists; whom oppose literature, due to the abhorrent nature of what can be found within the binds of a novel.

Social acceptance is funny like that eh?
Google "Catcher in the Rye" and have your mind blown. Every medium of expression has been lambasted by critics and idiots.

Somebody has probably already pointed this out, though.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Varanfan9 said:
As I'm sure many people have probably heard from anti video game activists we apparently torture people in games. But this has been bugging me since in none of the games I have ever played in my life have I actually tortured someone. So can anyone care to tell me where they are getting this torture thing from.
In almost any game do I toy around with my enemy before I kill them. I've shot enemies in the knees before to see them crawling away and I've done entire levels with groin shots alone. So... Surely those count, perhaps not as torture but sadism.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
The definition of the word "torture" as it is currently does encompass violent interrogation as a form of torture. In my not motherfucking humble at all opinion, the definition is wrong, and violent interrogation is not a form of torture.

Now quit fucking quoting me with attempts to change my opinion with your bullshit.
Really? Sweet, let me just break out the thumbscrews and a rubber hose filled with iron pellets and I'm good to go.

Though really what were you expecting, your basically saying electrocuting someone to get information is violent interrogation but electrocuting someone for kicks is torture.

Also is it beyond you to be able to have a civil debate or do you have the same debating skills as a doped up drug addict who has just been arrested by the cops?

the wako kid said:
Varanfan9 said:
Just a quick question for the Black Ops one. Is it a cut scene or are you actually participating in it. That was kinda what I was going for. The player is actually doing the torturing.
you are controlling a character and you torture a german scientist by first breaking a nearby window with the left trigger, taking glass out of the frame and putting it in the scientists mouth,and then punching him in the face with right trigger. i felt a little hollow inside afterwards.
I think that scene would have been a lot better if the same guy you had been torturing didn't turn around five seconds later sand say "here, I have a huge arsenal of weapons I want you to have pal."

The Long Road

Sep 3, 2010
In the terms of what the media has led people to believe "interrogation" is, then interrogation certainly is torture. (Not all torture is interrogation, though... Squares and rectangles, that sort of thing).

However, most interrogation does not involve physical, mental, or emotional pain. Interrogation is more like a mixture of chess and Guess Who, if you can stomach that metaphor. The interrogator will ask basic, innocuous questions to establish a baseline 'truth' reaction. He will then start asking questions he already knows the answer to. This serves two purposes: it forces the person being interrogated to either a) start spinning a convoluted lie or b) accept the situation and start conceding the least important information, and it loosens them up a bit either way. The real questioning starts after this. The questioner starts probing deeper. The answers given slowly cut off the person's options to lie. Eventually they slip, saying something that they didn't realize would show that they know something they don't want to admit. At that point, it's just a matter of time before they can be convinced, bribed, or forced to tell the truth. At the end of the day, the interrogator could theoretically do his job via text message. Violence is unnecessary and usually counterproductive.

I guess a better geometry analogy would be right and isosceles triangles. Some are one, some are the other, some are both.

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
I haven't played any games so far where you HAVE to torture someone to progress the game.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Thedayrecker said:
Black Ops.

There I win.

At least that's the most recent one
ethan22122 said:
cod black ops has one.
Black Ops' torture scene wasn't so much of interactive torture as it was a somewhat unplesant cut-scene (I don't remember it too well but you only press about two buttons throughout the whole thing and spend the rest watching, this is hardly getting the player involved) so I'd personally discount that one as well.

The only actual cases I can think of in games of being able to engage in torture are those that are in cut-scenes (in which case this makes it exactly the same as a film depicting torture) or the torture is voluntary or unplanned by the developers (in which case such actions are the player's responsability, not the developers), alternatively torture is being done to the player (which I'm pretty certain doesn't count since the player is usually passive in this role).

Jawz 014

Aug 18, 2010
Call of Duty Black Ops
Splinter Cell Conviction
Those are just the two that come to mind that I remember.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Jet Force Gemini. SEt the villagers on fire and watch them run in circles in pain before dying. Electrocute them and watch them float in mid air being painfully electrocuted for a few seconds before dying and then lay on the ground twitching with electrocution. Shoot them and they hold the place they were shot in pain. Cut their heads off for trophies.

Ya, that game had no business being rated Teen. It still has more brutality (because babies and children were among the choices to torture) than most of the games I have.

MrNickster

Apr 23, 2010
People are tortured in movies but no-one raises an eyebrow-Look at Dirty Harry and Lethal Weapon. Plus, the people who say they are just trying to uphold Christian values in media when they say these things about games seem to be forgetting that a few centuries ago, their extremist ancestors were upholding Christian values by torturing heretics.