In what situation is it socially acceptable for a 20 year old to date a teenager?

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
C'mon man, don't be that dude who graduated but still chases after high schoolers [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wknywxfcE5M].

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
The Rogue Wolf said:
When the teenager is nineteen. And that's about it.
What about eighteen, though personally I think its fine for a 20 year old to date a 17 year old.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The Rogue Wolf said:
When the teenager is nineteen. And that's about it.
I'd give 18. Its the legal age, nationally, but no younger. If someone is a Sophomore, and dating a senior, the senior is two years older and will eventually get to 20 before the sophomore. That's no so bad, all things considered.

But no younger.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If they can sign for a boat loan.

Not that complex. Don't be that guy.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
A 20-year-old and a teenager? Never. That is never okay.
The only situation where it's ever remotely okay for an adult to date a minor is if they were both minors when the relationship started and the age difference isn't too great (personally I would put the upper limit at a two-year-difference), like if two 17-year-olds dated and then one turned 18 a few months before the other.

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
Ask the teenager's parents. If they are revolted by your proposition, then it is probably not ok.

2HF

May 24, 2011
Kotaro said:
A 20-year-old and a teenager? Never. That is never okay.
The only situation where it's ever remotely okay for an adult to date a minor
Teenager ≠ Minor

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Age is just a number... and prison is just a room.

But really, I'd say if the teenager in question is at the very least 17 (ideally turning 18 before you turn 21), and you don't do anything illegal with her until they're legal, then it's probably fine. 20 years old is the youngest you could possibly be post-teenager. If you were already in your mid-20's, this would be a different story. But at 20 years old, 17 still satisfies the "Half your age and plus 7" rule of thumb.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
God you Americans are such prudes.
It is clearly and undeniable fine for a 20 year to date and 18 year old. You may not personally like it, but that's what makes you a prude.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I think some more information is going to be needed. Because, the way I see it, if both parties are over the age of consent for whatever country they live in, then there shouldn't be a problem. I mean, when I was 22, I dated a girl who was 17, the age of consent in Britain is 16, so there was never a problem. I met her at work and we dated for over a year. I mean, a person who is over the age of consent and is still 16, 17, 18, 19 can still be classed as a teenager.

If however it is a 20 year old dating a person who is under the age of consent, then no. Just no.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Really its never a good idea. I had a 20 year old friend who was dating an 18-year old. They are married now with a perfectly normal family and nobody even cares about their 2 year old age difference now that they're in their mid to late 30's. But that's... not usual. Frankly when somebody is 18... or 20 they aren't really mature enough to maintain a stable relationship. That's why it isn't a good idea, relationships at that age aren't generally important enough to matter in the long term anyway. Best not to mess around with potentially troublesome pairings whether its age difference or whatever it is that's complicating issues. There's absolutely no harm in waiting a few years.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Can depend on the social situation too. If he/she is still at school it's a bit weirder than if he/she is in the workplace. My personal comfort zone, were I still 20 (massive sadface) would probably be 18, but not if she was still at school. (And I do mean school, not university.)

I still think of 18-year-olds as children, but 20-year-olds aren't really any different, it really depends on the person and the life they live/have lived.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Age of consent here is 15, so I guess that's okay.
The bigger the gap the more iffy it gets though.

Adult means different things for different folks, but is generally seen as 18 and above, at least in the eyes of the law.
What is really to be avoided are situations in which the older person has any undue influence over the younger one.
Positions of power such as teacher-student, boss-intern, etc, should be avoided and frowned upon.
Otherwise, go nuts. ,)

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Socially in the US, probably not fine for most. Who gives a fuck though?

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
The USA where it's fine for 14 year olds to be tried as adults and for 17 year olds to join the military and be sent to war to die at 18 but god forbid they date someone who is 20.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Kyrian007 said:
Really its never a good idea. I had a 20 year old friend who was dating an 18-year old. They are married now with a perfectly normal family and nobody even cares about their 2 year old age difference now that they're in their mid to late 30's. But that's... not usual. Frankly when somebody is 18... or 20 they aren't really mature enough to maintain a stable relationship. That's why it isn't a good idea, relationships at that age aren't generally important enough to matter in the long term anyway. Best not to mess around with potentially troublesome pairings whether its age difference or whatever it is that's complicating issues. There's absolutely no harm in waiting a few years.
Yep a 2 year age gap in a married couple is unusual usually it's bigger. I think the smallest age gap in my living family is 7 years and the longest is 18 (If I included those who have past it gets bigger).