In which I rave about a Switch game: Gnosia

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Picked up Gnosia about a month ago due to its awesome trailer and premise but haven't gotten around to playing it until now due to not having the mental bandwidth for a thinking game. Conclusion: it's fantastic
3423CE96-556D-48B5-AA40-DD16F115705D.jpeg
Core premise is that you are part of a starship crew that's been infiltrated by the Gnos, an alien consciousness bent on taking over and disposing of the human crew. Due to their low numbers and average physical ability, they can only eliminate the human crew one at a time during predetermined warp jumps, giving the crew the ability to try and figure out who's who and put the Gnosia in cold sleep.

The gameplay loop is a single player version of Ultimate Werewolf (or a more complex version of Among Us). Roles with powers are assigned, utilized, and lied about; the crew, including your own created character, goes through several rounds of discussion, then somebody gets put in the freezer. If there's still an active Gnosia, they them eliminate a crew member and the round continues. You can get frozen or eliminated before the end of the round like any of the NPC crew, which cuts to the display screen showing who won, and you can even occasionally be one of the Gnosia.

Of course, you can't actually lie to the computer, this being a single player game, so your character has various customizable stats that determine the behind the scenes math.

You have an absolutely wild cast of characters with dazzling designs, each with their own quirks, fantastic art, and an intriguing story. This Vita-turned-Switch game is definitely something to check out.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
When I first read the first line I was gonna make a "it's single player among us" joke... but it really is single player among us. :LOL:

How good is the randomization? It feel like something where you'd play once or twice, would get the basic system and then would be able to figure out the alien on the first round everytime.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
When I first read the first line I was gonna make a "it's single player among us" joke... but it really is single player among us. :LOL:

How good is the randomization? It feel like something where you'd play once or twice, would get the basic system and then would be able to figure out the alien on the first round everytime.
I have lost more rounds then I have won.

Then again, my stats aren't very good yet so the game isn't telling me when a character is lying. Also, if a character is bad at communicating, you might get a trigger telling you that somebody is lying even if they aren't just because they're that awkward

Plus, even if you figure out who the Gnosia are early on, you have to convince everybody else to vote that way without being too suspicious yourself or getting killed at the end of a round.

That said, it is a game with a story and an ending, plus a secret ending, so if you get good at knowing people's quirks and have the stats to back them up...well, games tend to be easy when you know how to beat them. People speedrun Dark Souls after all. Probably take more than a couple rounds unless you're on the same wavelength as the developers though.