In With The New

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
In With The New

Andy Chalk prepares to step into the New Year by embracing social gaming, consoles, and Monkey Balls.

Feb 13, 2008
Weirdly enough, I was thinking of trying to make a Halas 10lb meat pie from Everquest. I mean the basic recipe is fillets of four meats cooked in fennel sauce and then baked in a pie. The Misty Thicket Picnic wouldn't be too hard either, using ginger as the Jum Jum root.

There's the obvious "Cake" recipe, but I think some of the ingredients might be a lie.

Maybe I'll just betray my PC bloodline heritage and get a console. I never really went back after the SNES.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
EVE is a great game, but... well, doesn't have a learning curve so much as it does a learning *cliff*. CCP's said they want to enhance the new-player experience and make it easier on them, so maybe it'll be worth picking up after that goes live. Otherwise, WoW *is* probably the most accessible MMO on the market today.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The magic of the New Year can't be overstated. Whatever it is about the turning of the calendar page, it's truly magical and inspiring. Here's hoping the wave of euphoria carries you across the threshold of consideration, and into the warm embrace of actually trying new things. I'm keen to hear about the recipes, in particular.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
If what you want to get out of an MMO is the instant gratification of shooting people in the face; you wont find it in WoW or EVE. Best bet, if its still worth checking out, would be Planetside

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nah, I can get that sort of action out of any standard FPS, like TF2. I want the real MMOG experience - I'm just not certain what that actually means.

Funny how the new year can be so arbitrary and yet represent so much. The third millennium's been kind of a rough one so far, but I have high hopes for 09.

Feb 13, 2008
For the REAL MMO experience, there has been little to turn me away from CoH/V. Although, as a taster, the Versus mode on L4D is a good warm up.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
I think he means Bayonetta as in

Heres the trailer link as the picture doesn't do justice to the character.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41158.html

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Indigo_Dingo said:
Lets put it this way - in order to attack her enemies, she strips off all her clothes for no good reason.
More games should be like this.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Indigo_Dingo said:
Not the responses I was hoping for.
Don't be such a nancy. Naked fighting has a long and storied history. Some disciplines even require it.

But from the female angle, I'd imagine stripping down would giver her a bit of an edge in that her enemies would be momentarily stunned, allowing her to pounce. Also, I'd pay to see it.

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
Every single word on the second page could have come from me. I'd also like to try an MMO, and in 2008, the PC as a gaming platform has disappointed me so much that I'm seriously considering a 360. Well, half-seriously. I still have some reservations - I don't know if the 360 (or just any platform) can offer enough games unvailable PC that I want to play. But I'm thinking about it.

But my one real gaming resolution for 2009 is not to get in too deep. You see, I've been a real gaming addict in my teens, and have just returned from a gaming hiatus of several years. And I don't know, but... it starts to feel more and more like a relapse. My girlfriend is already complaining ;) Then again, I'm more fascinated with gaming than I have ever been, for the most part because I can appreciate it more (back then, nobody thought about immersion, and I for one didn't even know what that would have been, let alone cared) - so I don't want to stop. So my resolution is to develop a way of quality gaming time.