In your opinion, what's the most overrated video game ever?

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
Any Sonic Game

Seriously, that Hedgehog has not aged well at all, that "2cool2fast4u" personality may have worked in the 90s, but now it's just irritating and embarrassing in hindsight

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
SimpleJack said:
Obviously this isn't exactly a rare topic but I really want to know what you think is the most overrated game ever.

For me it's Final Fantasy VII. Dear god.

I've played it and enjoyed it, I guess, but I really didn't see anything that groundbreaking or amazing about it. Maybe my opinion doesn't matter because I didn't play it when it was released and I'll never understand the hype or whatever.

In any case, I can't remember the last time I saw someone who really liked the game take a break from fucking climaxing with nostalgia about it and really look at it as a game; it's merely okay. Also I played ff8 shortly after and actually liked it more contrary to my belief that I wasn't going to like it at all.
8, 9, 10 and 12 are all better than 7 in my opinion, though I love 7 very much.

Mine would have to be Shadow of the Colossus. I was horrificly bored. I returned it. It was bad .__.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
scorptatious said:
You know it's funny. While I can kinda agree that FFVII is a bit overrated by the people who really liked the game, I feel it's also sort of underrated considering how many people seem to like to bash on it. It's a kind of a weird feeling.
The best way I can put it is that 7 doesn't deserve an HD remake, if anything that goes to 4 or 6, which were much more groundbreaking and important games for the genre as a whole.

Or fucking Chrono Trigger.

Skeggers

Mar 1, 2012
I'm thinking Pokemon, myself.

I enjoyed Pokemon for a short time, but as more and more games came out it became clearer and clearer that Nintendo were just churning out the same ideas time after time (if you fall, I will catch you, I'll be waiting. Time after time.) and it just got pretty boring pretty fast. It seems that does nothing to affect the die hard Pokemon fans that have memorised the entire Pokedex, every evolutionary chain, berry, item, TM & HM, Gym Leader, Region, nature, battlecry and professor's cock size.

It's just a boring game with too many random encounters, not enough strategy, slow pace and annoying combat. I defy any Pokemon player to claim that they haven't at some point just wished that they could get out of the bloody tall grass already just to be away from any more fights to run away from. Also trying to stealth your way around the random trainers that won't leave you the fuck alone when you're in a rush just gets really tedious.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Hyperbole: the thread. Seriously, a game that receives some moderate acclaim that you don't find to be all that great hardly warrants being called "the most overrated game ever".

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
SkarKrow said:
scorptatious said:
You know it's funny. While I can kinda agree that FFVII is a bit overrated by the people who really liked the game, I feel it's also sort of underrated considering how many people seem to like to bash on it. It's a kind of a weird feeling.
The best way I can put it is that 7 doesn't deserve an HD remake, if anything that goes to 4 or 6, which were much more groundbreaking and important games for the genre as a whole.

4 kinda got that through the DS. In fact, that game from I've seen seems to have more remakes/re-releases than any other FF game. Plus there's the After Years.

Also, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a remake for VII, while I still think the game is good, it definitely has issues that need ironing out.

I'll agree Chrono Trigger was pretty awesome. I remember getting the DS version for Christmas and playing it non-stop.

EDIT: While I'm at it, why not a remake for IX? That game was freaking awesome.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Since did WoW really have any content that uses in-depth strategy, and teamplay? Hell.. get a good raid team together, and get a good healer. That's all you really need. That's ALL YOU EVER NEEDED. Maybe once a new dungeon is released, and people who haven't done it needed to learn the ropes.

But if you're telling your healer to heal you. He's doing his job wrong.
There's actually little teamplay needed in WoW. Never has been, never will be.

Maybe like.. "Oh the boss just crit me. Bring up the back up tank, and battle res me."
But nothing beyond that is really needed.
Spoken like someone that hasn't raided in a long time.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
scorptatious said:
SkarKrow said:
scorptatious said:

4 kinda got that through the DS. In fact, that game from I've seen seems to have more remakes/re-releases than any other FF game. Plus there's the After Years.

Also, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a remake for VII, while I still think the game is good, it definitely has issues that need ironing out.

I'll agree Chrono Trigger was pretty awesome. I remember getting the DS version for Christmas and playing it non-stop.

EDIT: While I'm at it, why not a remake for IX? That game was freaking awesome.
Most of the remakes are just ports of the wonder swan version. And the DS version wasn't my cup of tea, it was ugly and they made FF4 harder, which isn't something FF4 really needed as it's grindy enough. A full HD remastering would be welcome.

Or 3, that got a DS one too though. a 9 remake would definately be freaking sweet.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Halo 2. "Hey look, you can dual wield now. We've cut the damage of the dual wield weapons in half, even when you only have one, so it isn't overpowered. Also you can't throw grenades or beatdown (if memory serves, could be wrong on beatdowns) without dropping one of your guns. But you can have TWO now, two is more than one."
This was on top of pistol damage nerf, so the two starting weapons were cut in half in terms of power and it was just a race to power weapons.
Matchmaking. This was the first time i'd seen this abomination. Those who grew up with Halo2 or online shooters which followed it are probably comfortable with it but if you started out in online shooters being able to choose lobbies based on good ping and maps/game types you wanted to play, this garbage was a decided step backwards.
And then sword-cancelling and BXR and superjumps and a variety of stuff that should have been caught in testing.
Online play was fantastic, matchmaking aside, and there were some great maps but Halo2 was worse than HaloCE by far for me in terms of actual multi player.

Also, Arbiter. I am Master Fucking Chief dammit. Fuck off with your arbiter.
At least they didn't do something completely idiotic, like take a great threat like the Flood; a mindless, remorseless, untiring and implacable enemy who consumed everything in its path and could only be stopped by activating the mother of all 'HOLY SHIT WE NEED EVERYTHING TO EXPLODE BECAUSE THAT'S BETTER THAN THESE THINGS' ancient alien artifacts and then give it a spokesperson and motive... shit.
EDIT to for an overlong and rambling rant about the flood in Halo3 story.
There's a reason it was called the Flood. This kind of enemy is meant to invoke our fears of Mother Nature as a destructive force. You literally cannot fight things like tremendously powerful flood, earthquake, volcano, avalanche, mudslide or forest fire. It sweeps you up and carries you off to your doom. It washes away any shelter or crushes it, shakes it to pieces or buries it. All you can do is get away from it. There's no headshot you can make or heart you can stab. It doesn't need a goddamned voice because you can't reason with it. We are helpless against something with this kind of power because there's nothing we can do to control it, and this lack of control is the kind of thing that makes these kinds of opponents scary.
Adding whatever they called the overmind for the flood and giving it something you could lash out at completely negates any of this feeling of helplessness. You can do something about it, look there's the glowy part you shoot at.

Quellan Thyde

Jul 11, 2011
Might as well throw Halo out there, if only to see the inevitable flames. Seriously, though, I came to Halo straight from Half-Life and never understood where the big appeal of the former game came from.

Also on my overrated list: FFVII, FFVIII, Mass Effect and KotOR.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
Portal games. Both were good games, don't get me wrong, but really not the masterpieces people think them to be.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
I said in the beginning that this wasn't exactly a rare topic.

I actually enjoy reading everyone's answers. (except for the one about human revolution that game was fucking rad)

And there's plenty of discussion here, so the last real question to be asked is: What did you expect to accomplish by coming here and saying something as condescending as:

Frybird said:
Oh look, it's that kind of thread again.

You know, ranting pointlessly about things other people like for barely any discussion value is hardly better than people endlessly praising and gushing about games that may not be so good in a subjective opinion.
?

Honestly, I have no respect for people who bash others for doing things that they've already seen somewhere else.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
trty00 said:
Fuck it.

Everything you like is complete garbage, and everything you hate is a work of artistic genius!

EDIT: How about instead of starting another overrated games thread, why don't the OP's just go into User Reviews, or even this forum, and just tell us why they feel a particular game isn't deserving of the praise it gets. Something like that has discussion value you know, and it would probably save us all this misery.
Jesus christ is it really that miserable of a task to just give your opinion on something that you think is overrated? Obviously some people are just using it as an excuse to rip on some popular games that only they seem to dislike, but I thought the point of discussion threads were to discuss things, and here are some people actually discussing shit.

I didn't start the thread to complain, I started it to hear what others think because I was genuinely curious.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
blackdwarf said:
Portal games. Both were good games, don't get me wrong, but really not the masterpieces people think them to be.
I agree. Portal was perfectly paced in that it just started to wear out its welcome by the end. The sequel couldn't be more bloated and pointless.

Mullac

Oct 6, 2012
I don't know if it's the most overrated game ever but, boy oh boy does Red Dead Redemption get a lot of credit it deserves. The atmosphere and some of the characters were pretty awesome, however, the game had a ton of flaws which ruined it.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
Both Borderland's games. Loads of good reviews, a tonne of people recommended it to me, finally put up £30 for buying the damn game and just found that, after about two hours, it's repetitive and dull, you're character has one unique thing which they can do and they don't even need to do it very often. No fast travel, terrible interface (as in, the worst since the idea of 'text adventure' started being used by professionals) The story didn't allow for anyone to get invested in, the environment never changed nor did the enemies, you end up with so much money and so many quests you barely have need to pick up anything new and above all, the thing that really gets me, is how people call it a game. The whole affair just feels like hard work to me and seeing it through to the end is only worth it if you're trying to justify the price you paid for it.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Minecraft. Good god Minecraft. I can definitely see the appeal for this game, but it really isn't for me. I found it boring, frustrating, and incredibly repetitive.

But anytime the title of this game is brought up I get mobbed by everyone in the room going on and on and on about how they built this, or that, and then just assuming I have the game and know everything about it.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Gluzzbung said:
Both Borderland's games. Loads of good reviews, a tonne of people recommended it to me, finally put up £30 for buying the damn game and just found that, after about two hours, it's repetitive and dull, you're character has one unique thing which they can do and they don't even need to do it very often. No fast travel, terrible interface (as in, the worst since the idea of 'text adventure' started being used by professionals) The story didn't allow for anyone to get invested in, the environment never changed nor did the enemies, you end up with so much money and so many quests you barely have need to pick up anything new and above all, the thing that really gets me, is how people call it a game. The whole affair just feels like hard work to me and seeing it through to the end is only worth it if you're trying to justify the price you paid for it.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I didn't like borderlands either. I wouldn't call it "overrated" (I've made my view on that label fairly well known) but I don't like either game.

That being said... it had fast travel. It just wasn't very good fast travel. Why did it have to save after AND BEFORE I fast travel? Weak Gearbox.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Frybird said:
Oh look, it's that kind of thread again.

You know, ranting pointlessly about things other people like for barely any discussion value is hardly better than people endlessly praising and gushing about games that may not be so good in a subjective opinion.
So the most overrated game is the "get on a gaming forum and whine about whatever is popular/well-received/enjoyed-by-anyone" game?

I can agree with that.