Indian Gamer Sets New World Record Playing GTA IV

Sep 13, 2009
Chicago Ted said:
I feel like I can break that. I just need the right game. Maybe Mass Effect 2 will motivate me to try for this world record.
Sorry to mention, but nowadays games are rarely longer than 20 hours.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Doktor Merkwurdigliebe said:
Chicago Ted said:
I feel like I can break that. I just need the right game. Maybe Mass Effect 2 will motivate me to try for this world record.
Sorry to mention, but nowadays games are rarely longer than 20 hours.
Well, ridiculous completionism meant Mass Effect took me around 30 hours the first time, and I immediately started another character. However, I think the longest I've gone in a stretch was KotOR 2, for about 20 hours.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
I done a 36 hour session when The Burning Crusade came out, without even knowing there was a record for this.

Malcheior Sveth

Jul 19, 2009
The most I've ever done was a 26 hour session of Ragnarok Online fueled by insomnia and Doritos. Impressive that he was staying away from any kind of stimulants.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Wow, this guy is an inspiration to us all. I mean, look at all the would-be challengers just in this thread! If you think you can beat him, do it. It's what the record is for.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This is lulzworthy to be honest, especially if they are treating it as a matter of national pride.

Nowadays I am that nacho-dusted couch hermit, and I've already done better.

The only impresssive thing that this guy did was being able to do it on command. When stuff like that happens it's usually not planned. People are frequently up/focused for two days straight for various reasons, including work, needing to seriously rush a 2 week school project you left until the last minute, or whatever else.

With long term gaming like that it's not typically something you plan, it's just that you get 'into' something and lose track of the time, I've seen this especialy when it comes to MMORPGS, where a guy will be up for 2-3 days straight and then crash and be gone for a while.

Not belittling the accomplishment I guess, because I probably couldn't do it on command, I just don't think it's all that incredible.

The part that gets me is India apparently claiming this as a matter of national pride. I mean come on... do they really have that little to be proud of? I wouldn't think so, India is a bit wierd, but very big, very old, and a lot of cool stuff happens/has happened there.

Even as a fairly hardcore gamer, I tend to think 40 hour sessions as being a bit much and one of those "oops man, do you know what time it is? Get some sleep1".

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
My first weekend with Final Fantasy X I played it about 38 or 39 hours over the course of 48 hours. With only the occasional snack breaks, bathroom breaks, and about six hours of sleep on Saturday night.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I've done 72 hours gaming before, but not on a single game, although...no, I've no game I'd want to play for that length in one go.

Fair play, if I knew that could be a world record I might get my name in there next summer.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
When will the whiners quit whinning?

If you want to show him up, record yourself playing a game for more than 40 hours straight and send it to the Guinness team.

Here... use this to help you on the road to somewhere.
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/member/how_to_become_a_record_breaker.aspx

Carboncrown

Oct 17, 2009
Yeah that reguires some real skill and dedication to training. Nowdays even Guinness records are lame, to think that i used to have faith in humanity.

Fragged_Templar

Mar 18, 2008
my personal best is 20 hours playing starcraft with my friend. Us versus 6 hard AI, after our 4th base wipe we started singing "we shall persevere" I blame the sugar rush for that one

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
SonicWaffle said:
Malygris said:
"We have always believed in the potential of Indian gamers. Chirantan's success is a proud moment for the Indian gaming industry," said Rohit Sharma, COO of gaming portal Zapak Digital Entertainment [http://www.zapak.com/], which provided observers for the event. "This will encourage more youngsters to take gaming seriously."
How is that a good thing? People taking gaming too seriously are the reason we have rabid fanboys, dead WoW players, and the ire of right-wing media outlets.
I agree. Taking games too seriously is precisely what gamers should not do. Doing that results in all kinds of BAD things like psychotic youngsters hijacking cars or running away from home and getting killed because they're not allowed to play Call of Duty.

The whole implied correlation is wrong. You don't take games seriously by engaging in 20h marathon sessions. Quite the contrary. That kind of playing will more likely be an impulsive kind due to addictive behaviour, where you're not even really enjoying the game.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
One word springs to mind.
Spelled out in large (ten stories tall perhaps?) blinking letters.
WHY?

Yegargeburble

Nov 11, 2008
TheSkaAssassin said:
As much as I'd like to say that I could do it, my record is a lousy 35 hours. I stopped because I started hallucinating.
At that point, I would have stopped playing and just walked around. Hallucinating sounds kind of fun.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
manaman said:
D4zZ said:
For feck sake...

Do something with skill! Anyone can fucking do that.
Beating records used to actually mean something...
No they can't.
-explanation snipped-
I had a little competition with some friends where we tried to stay awake the longest, out of 6 of us 3 lasted 60 hours and only 2 made it to day 3. (where a truce was called, but not the point).

Granted we were mixing up the things we did and drank a hell of an amount of energy drinks, but most of us got past 40 hours...