Indian Gamer Sets New World Record Playing GTA IV

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Indian Gamer Sets New World Record Playing GTA IV

You might think you're hardcore but a gamer in Mumbai, India, has got you beat: He just set a new world record by playing Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.rockstargames.com/iv/] for more than 40 hours straight.

There's casual, there's hardcore and then there's Chirantan Patnaik. The 26-year-old spent 40 hours and 20 minutes on Grand Theft Auto IV between September 4-6, setting a new world record for the longest continuous gaming session. The marathon was witnessed by independent observers and recently verified by Guinness World Records [http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/].

Patnaik is no nacho cheese-sodden couch hermit, however; he's a certified scuba diver who works at a private equity firm. "I began playing video games since I was in the third standard," he said. "Gaming has, since then, been my passion as well as a hobby."

Oddly, despite being a dedicated gamer, he had never played GTA IV before he set the record. "There are so many other games which I have played for long hours. But I had never tried playing this particular game seriously," he said. "However, I knew that I can do it after I saw my brother playing it."

And while observers in some other countries might be a little nervous about touting Patnaik's accomplishment as something to emulate, in India that's apparently not a problem. "We have always believed in the potential of Indian gamers. Chirantan's success is a proud moment for the Indian gaming industry," said Rohit Sharma, COO of gaming portal Zapak Digital Entertainment [http://www.zapak.com/], which provided observers for the event. "This will encourage more youngsters to take gaming seriously."

Patnaik's training regimen for the session including running, exercising and practicing yoga, and he said that "staying away from coffee and eating dates" while he played helped him stay alert. Guinness guidelines allow gamers a ten-minute break for every hour they play but Patnaik took only four breaks over the entire two-day stretch. "I enjoyed the game very much. It's fun playing long hours," he claimed. "It wasn't that exhaustive for me, as one might feel".

I told you he was hardcore.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
I've done 30 in one sitting. This sounds like a challenge. Mr Patnaik, I accept. If I can do 45, i'mma ring GWR and do it again.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
o_O That's mad. However, I bet there's probably some people who've played games for longer periods, just didn't have it witnessed by folks from Guinness Book of Records. While I know I can stay awake for over 40 hours, I don't think I could play a game for that long. Certainly not just the one title.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
RobCoxxy said:
I've done 30 in one sitting. This sounds like a challenge. Mr Patnaik, I accept. If I can do 45, i'mma ring GWR and do it again.
I'm curious, which game?

TheSkaAssassin

Oct 12, 2009
As much as I'd like to say that I could do it, my record is a lousy 35 hours. I stopped because I started hallucinating.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
WrongSprite said:
RobCoxxy said:
I'm curious, which game?
I think it was probably Oblivion. I got addicted to that reeeeaaaaaal bad, like. And that wasn't doing the story.

I have just bought Fallout 3 GOTY so I think I should do a whole playthrough. Should take a good 50 hours. Hehehe.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
TheSkaAssassin said:
As much as I'd like to say that I could do it, my record is a lousy 35 hours. I stopped because I started hallucinating.
I've always wanted to look into the effects of sleep deprivation first hand. Unfortunately I don't hallucinate, I just get cranky.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
That's a world record?! That honestly doesn't seem so hard-- I imagine that many gamers will set out to break this goal soon. The most I've ever done in a single sitting was 17 hours on MGS4.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
What, is this really a record? I've heard of people in Korea dying after 54 hour gaming sessions on WoW and the like.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
It's less a world record of playing for so long and more a record of actually putting up with the game for so long. I got the achievement for "Complete storyline in less than 30 hours" on my first playthrough. Surely you'd just end up running out of stuff to do. There are only so many car chases before they get boring, you know?

theklng

May 1, 2008
i enjoy long gaming sessions as well. this is also why i can't stand most new fps games, as the focus on combat makes for horrendously frustrating sessions that have to be put on hold after an hour or two. yes, i'm talking to you halo, gears of war, resistance, haze and whatever other bullshit shooters out there right now.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Malygris said:
"We have always believed in the potential of Indian gamers. Chirantan's success is a proud moment for the Indian gaming industry," said Rohit Sharma, COO of gaming portal Zapak Digital Entertainment [http://www.zapak.com/], which provided observers for the event. "This will encourage more youngsters to take gaming seriously."
How is that a good thing? People taking gaming too seriously are the reason we have rabid fanboys, dead WoW players, and the ire of right-wing media outlets.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
longest i've done was 12 hours..
What can i say, i like my sleepy-time.

Also, that's only the official record.

theklng

May 1, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
Malygris said:
"We have always believed in the potential of Indian gamers. Chirantan's success is a proud moment for the Indian gaming industry," said Rohit Sharma, COO of gaming portal Zapak Digital Entertainment [http://www.zapak.com/], which provided observers for the event. "This will encourage more youngsters to take gaming seriously."
How is that a good thing? People taking gaming too seriously are the reason we have rabid fanboys, dead WoW players, and the ire of right-wing media outlets.
you need to get a grip on the situation. taking games more seriously does not mean jumping windows or bridges, but could be meant as in serious competitiveness. and i agree, there are way too many casual gamers out there in comparison with the hardcore or even athletic gamers. i wish people took games as serious as elite players of e.g. DOTA do.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
I agree with all the people here who are saying this wouldn't be hard to beat. I've done some 16 hour sessions before and a few all nighters.

Something to do this summer.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Too bad my friend didn't try to go for the record. If what he says is true, he played Halo 2 when it came out for ~6 days straight. Only reason he stopped was because he passed out. Not quite sure if the story is true or not, but if it is, I think he wins.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ummm...I don't think I've ever hit 6 hours before
even with a friend it's just too much