Indian Gamer Sets New World Record Playing GTA IV

hansari

May 31, 2009
Finally! A viable solution for the overpopulation in India!

Send more videogames and they will game more, copulate less!! The Indians seem to love it, so there is no down side...

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
This isn't so much "hardcore" as much as it is "insanity/idiocy".

40 hours playing straight and we're talking retinal damage, maybe even brain damage... Although if you're trying to play for 40 hours straight to beat a record, you probably have enough brain damage to not care anymore.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
theklng said:
SonicWaffle said:
Malygris said:
"We have always believed in the potential of Indian gamers. Chirantan's success is a proud moment for the Indian gaming industry," said Rohit Sharma, COO of gaming portal Zapak Digital Entertainment [http://www.zapak.com/], which provided observers for the event. "This will encourage more youngsters to take gaming seriously."
How is that a good thing? People taking gaming too seriously are the reason we have rabid fanboys, dead WoW players, and the ire of right-wing media outlets.
you need to get a grip on the situation. taking games more seriously does not mean jumping windows or bridges, but could be meant as in serious competitiveness. and i agree, there are way too many casual gamers out there in comparison with the hardcore or even athletic gamers. i wish people took games as serious as elite players of e.g. DOTA do.
I don't see how you made a connection between the sort of people who will insist that their preferred console/game/character is good and everything else is shit, the kind of person who becomes so addicted to a game that they play it in lieu of doing anything else like eating or sleeping, the way that idiots like Thompson tell everyone that people who take gaming seriously will all become murderers, and the idea of people jumping out of windows or off of bridges. Seriously, what?

Neither do I understand the ire some people seem to have towards casual gamers, and this strange desire to be seen as a "hardcore" gamer. What are casual gamers doing to hurt you? Games are meant to be fun, and if people pick up a game and play it occasionally for enjoyment rather than spending every night pwning noobs, whats the harm in it?

May 28, 2009
I remember something about a Korean man who played something for over 50 hours, then died. Hm.

Perhaps it wasn't a single session though, and was a session of several games.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Wasn't there some poor kid in Korea who died from playing too much Starcraft?

Anyway, forty hours is pretty damn long. The longest I've been up playing games was at a LAN: I stayed up for TWO AND A HALF DAYS, then I started crying and fell asleep for twenty hours... Good times...

triggahappyhaza

Aug 22, 2008
HSIAMetalKing said:
That's a world record?! That honestly doesn't seem so hard-- I imagine that many gamers will set out to break this goal soon. The most I've ever done in a single sitting was 17 hours on MGS4.
im guessing thats just watching the cutscenes :p

PumpActionJesus

Feb 6, 2009
is this for real?
ive done a 4 day lan with 3 hours sleep in between, sure ive racked up more than 40 along the years in 1 sitting

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
I could never play GTA IV for more than one hour, yet alone 40. I found it really boring compared to the other ones.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
For feck sake...

Do something with skill! Anyone can fucking do that.
Beating records used to actually mean something...

Sep 13, 2009
Doug said:
What, is this really a record? I've heard of people in Korea dying after 54 hour gaming sessions on WoW and the like.
I am perfectly sure that we could find some gamers in China/Korea playing more than 40h in one sitting. It's just that no-one monitors these things in those countries.

My personal record would be, well...16h of Team Fortress 2.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
D4zZ said:
For feck sake...

Do something with skill! Anyone can fucking do that.
Beating records used to actually mean something...
No they can't.

I sleep a lot less then your average person, and I can go a bit longer without sleep. While I can and have worked, been up and moving, for that long I still know that I would have a very hard time staying alert and focused on a game while sitting there for 40 hours. I am sure many of you would have dozed of for short periods, and I am also sure that most of you who "remember" these marathon sessions you have had are actually remembering sessions closer to my max of 20 hours then 12 hours after a nap - a combination of tabletop games, then after people starting knocking off some video games, even then for half an hour towards the end of D&D session I dozed off for half an hour.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I think the reason he's won it and not you lot is because he's recorded and documented it, while we just have to take your word for it

Impressive non the less

Enaksan

Jul 6, 2009
i managed a whole day at school from 8am on the friday then got Zelda Ocarina of Time after school, went to some crappy theatre show till bout 11pm, then played zelda solidly until 7pm on Sunday. literally i stopped only to pee. what a fantastic game!still that was a long time ago now....think since then i did bout 20 hrs on Oblivion in one day. maybe i should find something else to do with my time.......

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
That is both sad, and impressive! Well played Mr...um, what's the last name again?

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
I feel like I can break that. I just need the right game. Maybe Mass Effect 2 will motivate me to try for this world record.

TheCameraman

Jun 8, 2009
40 hours doesn't seem like a lot at all, I've done a three days gaming session with some friends without sleep once myself.

Probably just a world record because no one else have been arsed to record it.