Indian Government Uses Comic Book to Scare Kids From Piracy

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Indian Government Uses Comic Book to Scare Kids From Piracy

The Indian government is hoping to reduce internet piracy by distributing a comic book to kids throughout the country.

Bollywood has had enough of this newfangled internet piracy jazz, and is hoping to teach kids the dangers of downloading movies without paying for them while they're young. The Indian government's new Bollywood-Hollywood anti-piracy coalition recently announced the nationwide launch of a comic book called Escape from Terror Byte City that attempts to show kids why piracy is a bad idea.

Escape from Terror Byte City is a New Zealand comic that will be translated into Hindi, Marathi and English for distribution across India. The government is targeting children aged 5 to 10 and has plans to carpet bomb schools, malls, and multiplexes with 10,000 copies of the officially government endorsed book. The Motion Picture Dist. Association of India hopes to eventually have the comic in every Indian school.

Escape from Terror Byte City imparts the epic tale of two young, innocent boys that download Transformers without transferring funds to the official owner, producer, or distributor of the intellectual property. Due to their criminal act, they get trapped in the virtual Terror Byte City where weird little demons tempt them to download more illegal goods. There, they meet a magical internet security knight who tells them the errors of their ways. He then gives the children superpowers and they disinfect the entire internet.

Rather than educating kids about the illegalities of internet piracy, Escape from Terror Byte City warns/scares them about the dangers of viruses, trojans, and the possibility of outsiders gaining access to personal information. The comic can be read online here [http://www.nzfact.co.nz/press_releases/Escape%20from%20Terror%20Byte%20City.pdf]. Remember kids, don't download movies unless you want to get sucked into a computer to become an awesome virtual internet knight.

Via: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/25/anti-piracy-comic-launched-in-india/]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, its certainly a unique method to deal with piracy...Well, time will tell if it will actually do something

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
This is my favourite part: "The government is targeting children aged 5 to 10 and has plans to carpet bomb schools, malls, and multiplexes"
Although the comic does sound... interesting...

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
So... if we download stuff off the internet we get to fight alongside anti-virus software soldiers killing the personification of malware?

Be right back, I need to find a torrent site.

This campaign probably won't end well.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
I feel that the idea skirts the point a bit. Wouldn't it be easier just to see them get in trouble with the law? I would most certainly be scared shitless when I was younger.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Remember kids, don't download movies unless you want to get sucked into a computer to become an awesome virtual internet knight.
For reals? I'm going to download the entire Metallica Discography now!

That was a joke. I really don't think this will work. Mainly because NOTHING LIKE THIS HAS EVER WORKED. I mean, you wouldn't download a car, right?

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Deofuta said:
I feel that the idea skirts the point a bit. Wouldn't it be easier just to see them get in trouble with the law? I would most certainly be scared shitless when I was younger.
True, if i was the government i would tell kids the gov't has way to track people who download illegally and that they would arrest you . Thats true to a certain point. That would've scared me shitless. But then again its devious, i suggest because i am a power hungry S.O.B

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Remember kids, don't download movies unless you want to get sucked into a computer to become an awesome virtual internet knight.
Well, fuck my anti piracy rule, find me something to download!
[sub]It's a joke, don't ban me[/sub]

edthehyena

Oct 26, 2009
Everything I would say about this was said better in the South Park episode "My Future Self and Me". Or the musical "Reefer Madness". Scare tactics are just dumb.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
That, in a word, is awesome! TerrorBite City! I can think of worse ways to inform people of piracy an its dangers...

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Well, I hope the aspiring cartoonist that helped to create this isn't too bothered by the threat of never being taken seriously artistically within the comics industry...

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
MurderousToaster said:

I believe this fits.
embedding disabled by request

It would be hilarious if this Comic became the most pirated thing of 2010, which will probably become a Facebook group or something.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I think I'll read it online for free, then I think I will save the images, and use quotes without referencing the original material. Later, possibly ten years down the road, I might repost the comic after everyone's forgotten it, and claim it as my own.

Lou

Mar 19, 2009
Well at least it's better then state-wide observation (As in "Big brother is watching you").

Also, win comment from Tom Goldman =p
Tom Goldman said: