Indiana Jones 5 Will Star Harrison Ford And Hit Theaters in 2019

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Indiana Jones 5 Will Star Harrison Ford And Hit Theaters in 2019

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/915/915095.jpg

Harrison Ford is getting up in years, but Disney has still invited him back to reprise his role as Indiana Jones in the fifth installment of the profitable movie franchise.

I guess after Disney purchased Lucasfilm and brought us a new Star Wars, it was only a matter of time before we got a new Indiana Jones film. And sure enough, Disney has announced Indiana Jones 5 will be coming to theaters on July 19 ... 2019.

To top it off, Harrison Ford will be back as the iconic archaeologist, despite being over 70 years old. Steven Spielberg will again direct, and Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will co-produce. And apparently George Lucas will not be involved in the project.

"Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can't wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019," Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios, said in a statement. "It's rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn't be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven."

The casting for the film has yet to be determined, but Chris Pratt has been mentioned as a possibility [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139631-Report-Disney-is-Eyeing-Chris-Pratt-to-be-The-Next-Indiana-Jones] as the next Indy, so it will be interesting to see if he is cast for the film in an heir apparent role.

The four previous Indiana Jones films have grossed more than $2 billion worldwide since Raiders of the Lost Ark debuted in 1981. The fourth installment in 2008, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, holds the box office record for the franchise, garnering more than $317 million domestically and in excess of $786.5 million globally.

Lucasfilm has previous acknowledged [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140704-Lucasfilm-Confirms-A-New-Indiana-Jones-is-On-The-Horizon] that a new film was in the works, but no details were divulged.

While Crystal Skull did well at the box office, fans of the franchise were generally disappointed with the film. Here's hoping the new one will be more like the original Raiders than Crystal Skull

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2016/03/steven-spielberg-harrison-ford-team-up-for-indiana-jones-5-disney-sets-july-2019-release-1201720725/]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
So... two for two Harrison Ford? Man wants to really retire so I wonder how the movie will end.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
dragongit said:
So... two for two Harrison Ford? Man wants to really retire so I wonder how the movie will end.
Which is weird, because Crystal Skull seemed like a good enough place for him to "retire" the Indiana Jones character, despite the film being garbage.

Good lord, Hollywood! Give the man a break, he's had enough!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
What...?

Why...?

How...?

No.

I was listening to a podcast today of some reviewers that I enjoy. At the end of the podcast they always answer a few questions that have been sent in from listeners. One of the questions on this podcast was "If you could freeze an IP to make sure there's never another remaked/sequel/what-have-you, what would it be?"

I'd say Indiana Jones would be a good candidate for that...the world needs another Indiana Jones movie the way it needs another Ben Stiller + Owen Wilson comedy.

...which is to say: it doesn't.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
See, I actually liked Crystal Skull but I still think it should have ended there. The final scene was the closest you could get to wrapping a series like Indiana Jones up, or at least Ford's version of the character. This feels like a bad idea destined to be embarrassing.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
They rode off into the sunset at the end of Last Crusade. He got married in Crystal Skull. What's he doing coming back again?

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
No.

No.

No...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

OT: Oh well. Lucas being out of the picture is good, but Spielberg's latest crop of mainstream action schlock haven't been as great as his earlier work, and he's kinda reinvented himself as a drama director.

Still, its been long enough, maybe they've learned their lessons. Although keeping Harrison Ford as Indie is one big mistake already.

LTD

Jun 20, 2015
09philj said:
They rode off into the sunset at the end of Last Crusade. He got married in Crystal Skull. What's he doing coming back again?
Henry Jones Jr. Jr. Jr.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The Real Sandman said:
OT: Oh well. Lucas being out of the picture is good, but Spielberg's latest crop of mainstream action schlock haven't been as great as his earlier work, and he's kinda reinvented himself as a drama director.
Wait, when did that happen? Looking at Spielberg's filmography, his drama films go at least as far back as Savage (1973) (or The Colour Purple (1985) if we go 'pure drama'), and his last action film was The Adventures of Tintin (2011) (maybe War Horse, but haven't seen it, only seen the stage play and read the novel). And while his last film was a drama (Bridge of Spies), we have The BFG coming up next (urban/low fantasy), and Ready Player One coming up next (which will probably fit into the cyberpunk genre).

Now, haven't seen every film in Spielberg's filmography, and that includes Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but looking at it, coupled with the films I have seen, I don't think I can really peg him as being locked to any one genre. But certainly I enjoyed Tintin a lot, and that was an action-adventure film if I ever saw one.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm glad Spielberg will get to make this one without Lucas; it may be the one thing that gives the film half a chance. But Ford himself seems increasingly uninterested in the fact that he's been fortunate enough to be part of multiple legendary blockbuster series, other than picking up a paycheck, and it's really starting to show.

KotCS was if nothing else a poor action picture, one that seemed to be going through the motions and in which none of the characters were faced with anything resembling serious risk. If this new film is going to be worth a damn, we need not to have a series of obvious blue-screen shots and repeated-identical-punching-sound fist fights, and I can't help but suspect that may be difficult for an aging cast to pull off.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This is nuts. Indiana Jones should be retired. Ford is over 70 and they already had Indy struggling with being old in Crystal Skull.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I get the Feeling he just does it to die in this movie as well so no one bothers him about making another sequel.

They should simply make movies of Indiana?s earlier career with Chris Pratt. Until Crystal Skull the movies weren't chronical anyway.
Temple of Doom takes place before Raiders of the Lost Ark.
No need for any fancy bullshit, just make the movies take place in 1925 or something and be done.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, cant be any worse with the story than part 4. now that lucas isnt directing anymore. this was his idea to use aliens in part 4 when pretty much everyone else was against it. i still enjoy part 4 more or less, until the ending that is.
but damn, he should retire actually. at the same time though, i admire is persistence for continuing on acting.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I still think Crystal Skull has a very clever premise (as Indy moves into the fifties, change the subject of his pulp adventures from the occultism of the forties into the little green men of the fifties! Come on, that's a good idea) that was unfortunately screwed up by a bad script and an annoying sidekick. Hell, I crossed out that first bit because the script really isn't all that bad. It's not inspired, but it's perfectly serviceable.

Anyway, if they both want to make another movie, let 'em! It's not like I'm required to go see it if the trailers or the reviews make me think it'll be bad.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Well, if they can work the magic they did on Star Wars... But then, I never thought that Lucas did any wrong when it came to Indiana Jones - I actually rather enjoyed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

So I guess I'm curious about what direction they'll take it in.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Watch it be a retread of the original Indiana Jones film but with a non-surprising twist.

I'm being mean. As somebody who didn't hate "Crystal Skull" I can't exactly bemoan this as much as I should.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Hawki said:
The Real Sandman said:
Wait, when did that happen? Looking at Spielberg's filmography, his drama films go at least as far back as Savage (1973) (or The Colour Purple (1985) if we go 'pure drama'), and his last action film was The Adventures of Tintin (2011) (maybe War Horse, but haven't seen it, only seen the stage play and read the novel). And while his last film was a drama (Bridge of Spies), we have The BFG coming up next (urban/low fantasy), and Ready Player One coming up next (which will probably fit into the cyberpunk genre).

Now, haven't seen every film in Spielberg's filmography, and that includes Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but looking at it, coupled with the films I have seen, I don't think I can really peg him as being locked to any one genre. But certainly I enjoyed Tintin a lot, and that was an action-adventure film if I ever saw one.
You're right, Spielberg has never stuck to one genre. I guess what meant to say was that his action movie efforts in the last 10 years have been alright (The Adventures of Tintin, I liked it too, but not a lot), kinda lack luster (War of the Worlds), and down right bad (Indiana Jones 4), where as his recent pure drama films I felt have been much stronger. When you compare these films to the first three Indy films, Jurrasic Park, Saving Private Ryan, and arguably Duel, I feel there is a noticeable gap in quality. Spielberg seems to have lost a bit of his touch with action films as of late, I would love to be proven wrong.

I'm the opposite of you with War Horse, I've only seen the film, never read the book or saw the play. Despite I think...two(?) short battle sequences, the film is all story and dialog. I thought it was great, check it out!