Indiana Jones vs Han Solo

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Indiana Jones vs Han Solo

Which Harrison Ford-acted role reigns supreme?

Read Full Article

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
The problem is...Indiana Jones is the protagonist. The movie is named after him.

Solo is certainly "a" main character but not "the" main character, so he's bound to be a bit one dimensional. Whereas Indie is the dude you're staring at for two hours, so he has to have a bit of complexity. Solo can just pop in, punch someone, belt out a one-liner, and he's good to go.

Its hard to really compare two characters of two completely different roles.

Still, one has a spaceship and an 8-foot tall attack dog who is rather skilled at space-chess.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Two completely different characters, but speaking as a totally heterosexual male, the major difference between them was I never wanted to fuck Indiana Jones.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Okay, Comparing Solo's confrontation with Vader to Indy's meeting with Hitler is apples and oranges. When Indy bumped into Adolf He was in disguise! Sure We'd all like to have such an opportunity to personally end that fucking POS, but that's not what he was there for and there was literally no escape (They were at a BOOK BURNING in BERLIN). In Cloud City, there was no such ambiguity: As soon as that door slid open and they saw who was at the table, the jig was up. Han pulling the exact same shtick he did Back on the Death Star, trying to give his friends a chance to escape. Sure they were all fucked, but at least Han would have drawn Vader's attention. Remember he didn't know about the squad of storm troopers behind them when he pulled out his blaster, and as we learned from New Hope, in Han's world you're either first on the draw, or you're dead (at least until the Special Edition).
This is a nerd debate. Context and relevancy are checked at the door, forgotten on the way out, and donated to some homeless guy a week later.

Animikean

Dec 23, 2009
As a female who grew up in the 80's
Guys who you wanted list as such,
Jareth, Westley, and Henry "Indiana" Jones

Sure Han was the best good male character in Star Wars, but that wasn't difficult :p

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Ah, Satanic rituals and marshmallows. My most evil foe of all.

I'm not going to discuss the decision between the two characters, mainly as I've never seen either movie series so it'd be silly, but I do want to say one thing. Kyle has a very disgusted/disappointed look in that picture. I took a bite of pizza while reading this, saw the picture of him, and it honestly looked like he was disgusted that I was eating pizza.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
If only they could just settle their differences by both appearing in the same game.

Oh wait. They did.

Hard to believe it's not some mod, either.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Squilookle said:
If only they could just settle their differences by both appearing in the same game.

Oh wait. They did.

Hard to believe it's not some mod, either.
Whoah, what game is that from? I thought it was a Battlefront game with an Indy skin for the han solo model at first, but then I saw the background (which is pretty clearly on earth, looks like it may even be world war II), and your claim that it's not a mod.

OT: I actually came in here to correct something in the article. The Indy movies /have/ been altered (as have the Star Wars prequels and pretty much everything else that Lucas has ever made), it's just that it's 1980's Star Wars re-release levels of change, not Special edition levels. For example, in Raiders of the Lost Ark, the scene with the truck going over the edge of the cliff was originally done with models and optical effects. The currently available movie had it re-done in CGI. As for the Star Wars prequels, there were some scenes quietly added between the theatrical release and the home video/TV release, and they're getting altered again for the upcoming 3D re-release.

Edit: Okay, he''s holding an M-16, so not World War II. But also not Star Wars. What game is that?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Whoah, what game is that from? I thought it was a Battlefront game with an Indy skin for the han solo model at first, but then I saw the background (which is pretty clearly on earth, looks like it may even be world war II), and your claim that it's not a mod.
It's from the Lucasarts published Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction on xbox and ps2. One of the first sandboxes to try something different from the same old GTA urban gangs setting, by placing the sandbox in a warzone. To say it pulled it off is an understatement- It's one of the most immersive, atmospheric and intelligent sandboxes ever made, and somehow has even more explosions, gunfire and mayhem than even GTA had at the time. Plus, being a Lucasarts game, it's riddled with little references to Star Wars, and has those two characters as unlockables.

Your guess was close though- same publisher, and same developer, too.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Squilookle said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
It's from the Lucasarts published Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction on xbox and ps2. One of the first sandboxes to try something different from the same old GTA urban gangs setting, by placing the sandbox in a warzone. To say it pulled it off is an understatement- It's one of the most immersive, atmospheric and intelligent sandboxes ever made, and somehow has even more explosions, gunfire and mayhem than even GTA had at the time. Plus, being a Lucasarts game, it's riddled with little references to Star Wars, and has those two characters as unlockables.

Your guess was close though- same publisher, and same developer, too.
Dude, that's awesome. I may have to grab the Steam version the next time it goes on sale, or a PS2 copy if I ever come across one. I've seen it go on sale on Steam (well, either that or its sequel; I think it was the first, though) a few times, but I've never bought it because I didn't really know what it was.

Edit: Oh, it must have been the sequel, since the first one didn't get a PC release. Still, I'll keep an eye out for a cheap PS2 copy.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Dude, that's awesome. I may have to grab the Steam version the next time it goes on sale, or a PS2 copy if I ever come across one. I've seen it go on sale on Steam (well, either that or its sequel; I think it was the first, though) a few times, but I've never bought it because I didn't really know what it was.

Edit: Oh, it must have been the sequel, since the first one didn't get a PC release. Still, I'll keep an eye out for a cheap PS2 copy.
Yes, only the sequel got a PC release, but avoid it because it is truly awful- It's nearly as broken as Driv3r was. The first Mercenaries (Playground of Destruction) is the one that everyone loves, and if anything, it's proper spiritual successor was The Saboteur, also by Pandemic, with better on-foot stealth, but fewer vehicle shenanigans.