Indie Dev Announces Official River City Ransom Sequel

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Indie Dev Announces Official River City Ransom Sequel

Combit Studios will work closely with River City Ransom rights holder Million to ensure it is the best game it can be for fans on both continents.

River City Ransom was an great little NES beat-em-up, known as "Downtown Hot-Blooded Story" in Japan. The plot follows high school students Alex and Ryan as they cross River City in an attempt to rescue River City High and Ryan's girlfriend Cyndi from the clutches of a villain called "Slick." It was really fun and combined elements of traditional side scrolling beat-em-ups with RPG and open world features.

It was released over 20 years ago, but aside from a remake for the GBA in 2004, titled River City Ransom EX, it has never really seen a true sequel. An announcement for River City Ransom 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108756-River-City-Ransom-2-Coming-to-WiiWare] popped up a few years ago, claiming to be coming soon to WiiWare, but that project has been put on indefinite hold. Now, independent developer Combit Studios has announced that it will work with River City Ransom rights holder Million to produce a true sequel to the classic NES beat-em-up.

"I am beyond excited to reveal today that we have started development on an official, worldwide follow-up to River City Ransom. With strong followings in North America and Japan, we will work closely with Million to ensure it is the best game it can be for fans on both continents."

Combit tells us that it has "assembled an amazing team of some of the most ardent fans of the game, each bringing their unique talents and imagination to what we hope will be the follow-up game you've always wanted to play."

The game is currently slated for a 2014 August release date for the Windows platform, although the developer says that other platforms are under consideration. A crowd-funding campaign for the game will launch this summer, where fans will be able to "claim some truly unique rewards, and to help us bring you the next chapter that River City Ransom deserves!"

You can subscribe to a mailing list on the official Retro City Rampage [http://rivercityransom.com/], an open-world beat-em-up released for various downloadable platforms last year, was inspired by classic beat-em-ups like River City Ransom.

Source: Combit Studios [http://combitstudios.com/2013/04/river-city-ransom-announced/]

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Slowest sequel I can think of.
At least nobody can blame them on trying to cash in with quick sequels. :p

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
If Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World can do it, I'm sure RCR2 can do it, too. It just depends on who's making it and how much sincere effort they go to put in it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Can't wait to see what's on offer when this makes it to Kickstarter but more importantly, I hope this finds its way onto the e-Shop when it's finally ready for release. Honestly I'm a bit too young to have experienced the original RCR but if it's anything like Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim or the NES Double Dragon games then I'm definitely in and can't wait to see what comes of it.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
What's interesting to me about this is that the "kunio" games are a big series in japan and have had sequels, just not ones that have gotten brought to the west. So if there is such a demand why don't they release those over here?

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
An indie developer is making a sequel to a well-known game they didn't create? Normally, this would be par for the course, but this project is officially supported by the copyright holder? That's pretty cool!

PuppetMaster

Aug 28, 2009
When I was a wee lad, I had Mario/duckhunt, Jaws, Platoon, and River city ransom. My brother was 2 years younger and as soon as he was old enough to hold the control we were playing split screen co-op. Besides the code-copy save system that game was as close to perfect as you could find, can't wait to see how this pans out

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
I played River City Ransom more then any other NES game. Completed it several times on both single player and co-op.

Scott Pilgrim's controls were too sticky for me, couldn't even make it to the end of the demo before getting annoyed at the gameplay. :/

Castle Crashers was great (and one of the title screens + coin sounds were direct references to RCR), but there's only so many times I could repeat their levels.

So excited to see this happening.

Can't find the RCR Matrix Burly Brawl video :(

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Bumping this to let you know its a kickstarter that still has 7 days to go and needs your aid to get made.

I know I know, M#9 JUST ended. But their largest stretch goal doesn't even make half a million and I REALLY want to see this made.