Indie Developer Showcase, Day Four: Mondo Agency

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Indie Developer Showcase, Day Four: Mondo Agency

It's one of the creepiest games we've ever played - and it was made in a week.

Read Full Article

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
if only he would include a manual or perhaps just a little textbox at the beginning explaining what to do, i'm still stuck on level 1 in half his games, and to be honest the controls in many of his games would benefit if he had used just a day more at them.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Cactus makes interesting stuff. I also like Stench Mechanics, Mondo Medicals, SeizureDome, Psychosomnium, and Clean Asia.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Funny thing is, I'm something of a fan of David Lynch myself, and I love games that make me think and question things, but I absolutely LOATHED both Mondo games. It could've been the terrible (and non-customizable) controls, or the super-spartan (no, not THAT Spartan) production values, or the men with television heads screaming in my ears at 125 decibels... but at the end of the day I could not tolerate playing either game more than a few minutes.

However, I think Shotgun Ninja is hilarious and fun.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Certainly an intresting concept...trying to get my head around it still lol

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I think that Shotgun Ninja might be Cactus' best overall game but it doesn't have the same subversion of rules and disturbing audiovisual thing going on. The odd thing about many of his games it that the rough around the edges feeling they have makes them seem more exciting. Okay, I think I am actually reminded more of Throbbing Gristle than Lynch. Cactus is an experimental industrial game creator, not a horror developer or Lynchian developer. Heh.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I discovered the "Mondo" games through TV Tropes; Mondo Medicals was mentioned on the High Octane Nightmare Fuel page. I think the simplistic design really does help the creepy atmosphere better than any photorealistic environment ever could.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
artistic licence only goes so far.
Great programming skills, interesting design and unique concept.
That's the praise done with.

The controls are simple to any old style game fans but that doesn't change the fact that their not all that useful.
trying to adjust to the half a dozen different shades of grey, half of which are transparent and so almost invisible is not enjoyable in the slightest. If your going to use shades of grey then at least make it clear which are walls, which are floors and what's a bottomless pit of inescapable doom.
The sound bites into my skull like a swarm of insects, and while that may have been the idea that does not excuse it being painful, unless their designed to be never played.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
GuiltBlade said:
trying to adjust to the half a dozen different shades of grey, half of which are transparent and so almost invisible is not enjoyable in the slightest. If your going to use shades of grey then at least make it clear which are walls, which are floors and what's a bottomless pit of inescapable doom.
The sound bites into my skull like a swarm of insects, and while that may have been the idea that does not excuse it being painful, unless their designed to be never played.
Congratulations on letting the game completely victimize you. It wanted to confuse you and put you off and so it has.

The mood certainly reminds me of that first time I watched Eraserhead. But I think it says a lot that, even in a game as creative and decidedly unconventional as this one, you still end up shooting alien creatures with a blaster. How long is it going to take us to figure out a way to make a first person game that doesn't rely on point-and-click weaponry as a primary form of interaction?

As for the simplistic design, for a designer who self-admittedly wants to avoid typical 8-bit retroism I was surprised how much the low-res environment reminded me of early FPSs like Wolfenstein and Faceball (not counting little details like transparent and dynamic textures, of course.) Especially the "facial animations". I think abstract environments like this will benefit when artists find ways to effectively combine high and low resolutions with purpose and intent, rather than relying on simple polygons to convey alien creepiness.

But as far as alien creepiness goes, this game sure has its own kinda mojo. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow, in the light of day, when it should be easier to cope with this 'high octane nightmare fuel'.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
Congratulations on letting the game completely victimize you. It wanted to confuse you and put you off and so it has.

As for the simplistic design, for a designer who self-admittedly wants to avoid typical 8-bit retroism I was surprised how much the low-res environment reminded me of early FPSs like Wolfenstein and Faceball (not counting little details like transparent and dynamic textures, of course.) Especially the "facial animations". I think abstract environments like this will benefit when artists find ways to effectively combine high and low resolutions with purpose and intent, rather than relying on simple polygons to convey alien creepiness.

But as far as alien creepiness goes, this game sure has its own kinda mojo. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow, in the light of day, when it should be easier to cope with this 'high octane nightmare fuel'.

Ah so the audio discomfort was intentional, that changes my opinion from poor design to a genius at devising methods of torture.
Sorry that was unfair, it does feel a lot like early 2D FPS games and now knowing that it was meant to inflict discomfort means that a lot more thought went into it.
I'm still never going to play it again but at least I now know that it was some artistic statement rather then a lack of design sense.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
GuiltBlade said:
Ah so the audio discomfort was intentional, that changes my opinion from poor design to a genius at devising methods of torture.
Sorry that was unfair, it does feel a lot like early 2D FPS games and now knowing that it was meant to inflict discomfort means that a lot more thought went into it.
I'm still never going to play it again but at least I now know that it was some artistic statement rather then a lack of design sense.
In the article, when he says "I like David Lynch", you can easily interpret that as "I like to make the player feel awkward, confused, alienated, and generally fucking awful." :)