Indie Devs Mistaken for Marijuana Thieves

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Indie Devs Mistaken for Marijuana Thieves

While happily programming late at night, a trio of independent developers were mistakenly accused of being pot thieves.

Having an office right next to a medical marijuana dispensary can either be a positive or a negative, depending on perspective. For independent developer Illfonic, currently working on Ghetto Golf and arena FPS Nexuiz, it was the reason for three employees to be placed in handcuffs and nearly arrested.

Illfonic's studio is located in Denver, Colorado, an area that allows for the distribution of medical marijuana. A dispensary located next-door to Illfonic has been broken into multiple times as of late, and another break-in occurred again last night. Denver police were alerted, but accidentally arrived at Illfonic's address instead of the dispensary.

While half of the Illfonic development team was out on the town, three members were hard at work in the studio, only to be interrupted by police aiming weapons at them. They were then brought outside the studio and placed in handcuffs. Luckily for Illfonic, the police were very professional and realized their mistake once a second patrol car rolled up to the scene. Total time in handcuffs was apparently only around five minutes. The video shown here is security cam footage of the incident.

Illfonic is very understanding of what happened, as one member wrote: "WE ARE NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE POLICE. If anything, we applaud them for their rapid response to an alarm going off, even if they had the wrong address." The situation no doubt gave them a better perspective of life on the streets, which they should be able to use in the development of Ghetto Golf.

Source: Kotaku [http://shogungamer.com/news/illfonic-developers-handcuffed-due-police-error]

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Ghetto golf sounds awesome.

OT: wow, good thing they realized their mistake, knowing me I would be screaming at the police...

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Unlucky but doesnt ghetto golf sound like one of the worse game ideas ever?

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Ghetto golf?
Well that doesn't sound like a Media Bonanza

Anyways, more onto the topic at hand: Glad to see the response speed was good, as well as the fact that Illfonic held nothing against them

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
inb4 someone goes off about how all police are incompetent pigs etc

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Good on the coppers for being professional and reasonable, and good on the developers for understanding that mistakes happen and that you shouldn't get your panties in a twist over what will a funny story to tell once the shock wears off.

crazyjay321

Feb 22, 2009
I do'nt understand why they tried to arrest the guy's.

They turned up at the (wrong)address to find some guy's on computer's and reach the conclusion that the robber's stayed at the crime scene to use the computer's?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Funny mistake.
What makes it better is one of my friends works for the plant next door.
xD
I'll have to ask him about this sometime.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
inb4 someone goes off about how all police are incompetent pigs etc
Don't know about the incompetent bit but did anyone else notice the cops are all bigger around than they are tall?

Maybe it's because the Krispy Kreme here closed down here but all the officers I've seen look like they could fight a rhinoceros and win.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Zepren said:
Unlucky but doesnt ghetto golf sound like one of the worse game ideas ever?
From what I've heard, it actually sounds like it could be okay. It's golf, in an urban environment, with combat.

This is from a big Hot Shots Golf fan, which I would gladly play on a course set in the "ghetto."

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
pot + code = 99% chance of bad code that seemed like a great idea at the time...

The same goes for alcohol.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
ark123 said:
I don't know, most programmers I know love pot.
Most programmers I know wouldn't rob a store, but i could be wrong about that though. I mean ghetto golf? You never know they could keep a safe full of m9's so they can make a hash run to get them through the long nights.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Hats off to the officer's for realiseing they made a mistake, and i'll also give the three gentlemen 'arrested' massive props for being so understanding.