Indie Director Rumored For Sony's Metal Gear Solid Movie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Indie Director Rumored For Sony's Metal Gear Solid Movie

Kings of Summer's Jordan Vogt-Roberts believed to be surprise choice to direct the high-profile game-adaptation

It's being reported that Sony is gearing up to make real headway on the long-planned Metal Gear Solid movie and that they've found their director in the form of relative newcomer Jordan Vogt-Roberts.

Vogt-Roberts is best known for directing the 2013 indie coming of age drama The Kings of Summer, which is about a group of three young boys who run away from their respective homes and build a house for themselves deep in the woods. He has also helmed short films, commercials and the web series Memoirs of a Manchild along with episodes of Comedy Central's Mash-Up. He also claims to be a lifelong gamer, and has talked video game nostalgia on the Indoor Kids podcast.

Based on the long-running military/scifi/action series, the film is expected to revolve around Solid Snake; a soldier with a mysterious past who battles mercenaries and terrorist-organizations often in connection to combat robots called Metal Gears. No casting for the film has been announced. Avi and Ari Arad, late of the Spider-Man movies, are producing for Sony.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/sony-in-talks-with-jordan-vogt-roberts-to-helm-metal-gear-solid/]

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
If this is being helmed by the same people who've made the recent spiderman movies... oh gods no

I for one do not like the new spiderman movies. They've absolutely messed up the story. I can only dread what they'll do to Metal Gear

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
There's going to be a Metal Gear Solid movie? Aren't the games enough like movies already?

It will probably go the same way as so many other videogame movies, but if they can promise an extended scene with Snake sneaking around in a cardboard box then I'm in.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
CriticalMiss said:
There's going to be a Metal Gear Solid movie? Aren't the games aren't enough like movies already?
Yes - and that's part of the problem:

They will have to butcher whatever game story they base the movie on. There is far too much content in MGS games for a single movie to cover a single game worth of plot.

Sure, a movie version of MGS1 with a young Solid Snake sneaking around Shadow Moses would be fun - but think how much content will be cut.

...this doesn't mean that the movie wont be good - but I'm just imagining that this might end up with LoTR rilogy levels of cut source content.

Plus, the producer from the recent spiderman movies? That doesn't exactly inspire much courage.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Huh, can't say I've ever heard of the guy. Not necessarily a bad thing, I suppose. Good to see he's apparently a gamer too, might help at least a little bit in turning a game into a movie.

Casting could be very interesting too.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
When I read this headline I crossed my fingers and thought "Uwe Bolle is technically considered indie right?"

I for one like when they hand the reigns of a big franchise to a lesser known auteur director, sure it can go awry fairly easily, but that's still how we ended up with Peter Jackson on Lord of the Rings (among various financial reasons of course) and Sam Rami on Spiderman.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
webkilla said:
CriticalMiss said:
There's going to be a Metal Gear Solid movie? Aren't the games aren't enough like movies already?
Yes - and that's part of the problem:

They will have to butcher whatever game story they base the movie on. There is far too much content in MGS games for a single movie to cover a single game worth of plot.

Sure, a movie version of MGS1 with a young Solid Snake sneaking around Shadow Moses would be fun - but think how much content will be cut.

...this doesn't mean that the movie wont be good - but I'm just imagining that this might end up with LoTR rilogy levels of cut source content.

Plus, the producer from the recent spiderman movies? That doesn't exactly inspire much courage.
That is exactly what worries me. But it could work VERY well if they do it right.

They should take their time and go building up mythos and try to make a franchise.

I have dreamt a prefect script for this movie, hear me out:

Solid Snake, a rookie FOXHOUND operative is called by his commanding officer Big Boss to infiltrate a military complex in Zanzibar Land, where there has been an insurgence. They suspect that the leader of the Uprising is Gray Fox aka Frank Jaeger, another FOXHOUND operative (the best one) who is a close friend of Solid Snake.

Through flashbacks, we learn that the two (Snake and Gray Fox) met a couple of years prior, when Snake was taken prisioner while infiltrating Outer Heaven. But Snake was incapacitated during the mission, not knowing what exactly happened in Outer Hevan (only that Grey Fox rescued him).

Then we follow a mix of the events of both MSX games (Snake and Grey Fox are fighting in opposing sides, they fight barehanded on a minefield, etc). In the end, we discover that Big Boss was the double agent behind the Zanzibar insurgence ... (and was behind Outer Heaven also, but had to abandon the base for fear of being discovered and reestablished himself in Zanzibar Land)
Snake defeates Metal Gear, Big Boss is mortally wounded... "Snake, I am your father".
Then Solid Snakes gets PTSD and quits the unit (now with Roy Campbell as the commanding officer).
Roll credits.
Post end-credits scene shows Snake growing Huskies in Alaska, while a Hind D arrives in a familiar Heliport in Shadow moses island.

And that's it. We have all the backstory needed for a faithful adaptation of Metal Gear Solid Ep. 2: The Twin Snakes.

Can I get the job writing the script? Please?

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
If they don't make Liquid the smarmiest ************ to ever rant about recessive genes then I am so out. And they're probably going to have to cut out Vulcan Raven, though considering he did absolutely nothing other than be a slightly racist stereotype, it isn't much of a loss.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Why they don't let kojima direct it himself is beyond me, the dude LOVE movies, he said it himself and that's why all his games are so movie like.

It'll probably take 10 or 20 years before they finally give the franchise to someone that actually gets and love the source material and make a movie that does the name justice just like street fighter assassin's fist.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
if i had to guess they will only bring in mantis, sniper wolf, and ocelot as the main villains with liquid being the twist near the end. they could use vulcan raven but i can't see that fight scene being more than five minutes. what i'm interested in knowing is how they plan on doing the codec communications

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
mrm5561 said:
if i had to guess they will only bring in mantis, sniper wolf, and ocelot as the main villains with liquid being the twist near the end. they could use vulcan raven but i can't see that fight scene being more than five minutes. what i'm interested in knowing is how they plan on doing the codec communications
They could just make it function like a regular radio, but right inside his ear. I think that if they have full video or anything it will spoil some things. Not that that's a huge deal, but still. The only reason the video didn't spoil anything in the game originally was because of the limited art used in the codec calls, and the game in general. That wouldn't work in a movie.