Indie Games Take Over Direct2Drive Anniversary Sale

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Indie Games Take Over Direct2Drive Anniversary Sale

Direct2Drive's Five Year Anniversary Sale [http://www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5] continues this week with some screamingly good deals on indie games, all available for only five bucks each.

The D2D anniversary sale began earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94730-Direct2Drives-Anniversary-Sale-is-Ridiculous] and it's been a hot one. Each week, the digital distribution service is offering a new genre of games at stupidly low prices; the sale began with Ubisoft/strategy games, followed by action games and then RPGs and MMOGs. This week it's time for indie games and while you won't find BioShock or Saints Row 2 in the mix, there's still a lot here to like.

Included in this week's indie games sale are World of Goo, Gish, The Path, Mount and Blade, Light of Altair and more, all for only five bucks each. It's all good stuff and while not every game will appeal to every gamer, five bucks for World of Goo isn't just cheap, it's crazy!

If your tastes run more to the mainstream, some titles from previous weeks are still available, including the aforementioned BioShock and Saints Row 2, along with other hits like Sid Meier's Pirates!, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, Civilization 4 and more, all going for just a fiver a pop. Direct2Drive's indie games sale runs until October 5.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
ThePeiceOfEden said:
WHAT NO CHEAP BIOSHOCK!!!??? Time to rethink my life
Cheap Bioshock [http://www.direct2drive.com/2/4645/product/Buy-BioShock-Download]. You might want to rethink glasses.

Finally, indie games without regional restrictions! What's even better is that both the US and UK site offer their games for 5 dollars and 5 pounds respectively. Only 5 dollars equals 3.14 pounds. Ha! I'm going to spend me some dollars.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Percutio said:
Time to buck up and buy mount and blade methinks
Have fun.. but don't expect much in the lines of content. I beta'd that game to the very release.. it would be complete rubbish if it weren't for the combat, and even on high quality it is EXTREMELY hard to find fights that challenge you any.

There are some okay mods (Native Expansion is my favorite) But even those tend to only extend the life of the game a few days to a couple weeks at best.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Percutio said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
Percutio said:
Have fun.. but don't expect much in the lines of content. I beta'd that game to the very release.. it would be complete rubbish if it weren't for the combat, and even on high quality it is EXTREMELY hard to find fights that challenge you any.

There are some okay mods (Native Expansion is my favorite) But even those tend to only extend the life of the game a few days to a couple weeks at best.
So did I

I thought it lasted quite while if you actually put the difficulty up and went for conquest/missions/ect.
My diffuculty was at nearly 200% XD

And I went for conquest. The Vanilla game on hardest looks like Oblivion on Easiest, hard.

Just be a Swadian. Own everyone. Game friggin over :p

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Percutio said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
Percutio said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
Percutio said:

So did I

I thought it lasted quite while if you actually put the difficulty up and went for conquest/missions/ect.

And I went for conquest. The Vanilla game on hardest looks like Oblivion on Easiest, hard.

You mean hire Swadians, and yes they are OP by a lot, but you still cry when your amazing snipers get killed by simple khergit horseman, which is really annoying.

Still, Oblivion on hardest wasn't that tough either. Also, Mount & Blade was(is?) interesting when you had 100 vs 300 battles and a huge battle/tactics disadvantage.
I just wished melee/foot combat in the game wasn't so cheap as in, fighting against enemies using ants tactics, swarming you and beating you to death with their pitchforks. Oh and no more brahmins herding.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Percutio said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
Percutio said:
WhiteTiger225 said:
Percutio said:

So did I

You mean hire Swadians, and yes they are OP by a lot, but you still cry when your amazing snipers get killed by simple khergit horseman, which is really annoying.

Still, Oblivion on hardest wasn't that tough either. Also, Mount & Blade was(is?) interesting when you had 100 vs 300 battles and a huge battle/tactics disadvantage.
Maybe in Native expansion, but not in vanilla when your 40 heavy cavalry can rampage everything >.<

Honestly, what made mount & Blade get put under the "Nice try, but no cigar" list in my book is the fact they did up the combat... and then spent most of their time and money adjusting the animations over and over and occasional bug fixes. The games combat is sometimes interesting, but usually not as nothing really ever gives you a challenge. In Oblivion, yeah it wasn't all that brutal, but there was still exploration to do. There were some intricate quests to get done, storys to play through, chioces to make.. basically they put in more then just combat. The rest of mount & blade just seems to be filler until your next combat scenario. Not even good filler. Just very generic quests, lifeless villagers who ALL spout the same 4 lines and occasional 1 quest out of 5... They neglected the game world. (Native Expansion gets my kudos because they added in combat wise what the game was lacking. Like spear walls, tougher gameplay, making you NOT invincible, making a reason to be on foot as well as to be on horse, and pretty much equaled up all the nations) But the fact is, as I said about Oblivion before, you can't just release a 20% completed game and count on the modding community to fill in all the blanks and for people to be 100% satisfied with that.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Warrior Irme said:
World of Goo and a great tower defense game. This makes me very tempted.
I bought those already (Already owned M&B, and as I said before.. it is meh) Both are VERY entertaining. You must get them! Optimus Prime commands you!

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
My computer's broken can I buy them and download them some other time?
Of course you can, they are saved to your account so you can download them multiple times.

I've got World of Goo, I think I'll buy M&B and Gish. Does anyone know if there is tax added to a purchase from the US when I live in Europe?

Whoever is also planning on buying some games, I can tell you right now that you'll want to play Bioshock and World of Goo.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I have one. Ran horribly on a computer that can run Crysis. Also, has no point or explanation of what to do. I have better ways to use my time.

The key they give you for Saints Row 2 actually works on Steam. I've been playing that for a while and it's quite fun. The indie week is actually less exciting to me because games like that are MEANT to be $5. It's things like SR2 and Chronicles of Riddick being $5 that surprise me.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
WhiteTiger225 said:
Percutio said:

If you're a Star Wars fan, try the Star Wars mod. Its not fully polished yet, but makes the game more interesting.