Indie games to keep an eye on.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
What are some lesser known games that either came out recenty or are coming out soon that you think other gamers might be interested in? Also, if you bring up a game that isn't out yet, try to only list ones that at least have an eta for release.

I'm going to start out with Jet Lancer, that looks like a side view dog fighter which is something I haven't seen in a very long time. The last one I am aware of was LUFTRAUSERS, which was fun, but didn't really have much there. It looks like Jet Lancer will have a true campaign on top of unlockables and such.

Othercide, this is a turn based tactics game with a really stunning art style. I'm assuming the gameplay will be similar to the xcom series but I can't say for sure. Either way its aesthetic style is enough that I am really curious about it and looking forward to seeing what its got to offer. They have said it will come out this summer.

Ultrakill, this is a super fast paced fps game where you heal by being close to enemies that you kill and letting them bleed on you. I've seen some of the fps youtube channels play early builds of this and it looks really fun, plus I do have a weakness for the kinda crappy pixelated 3d art style.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Vestaria Saga came out at the very end of last year. I'll make that thread about it eventually. Maybe tomorrow.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Desperados 3 is from the devs that made Shadow Tactics a few years back, which is a really good tactical stealth game that had quite a bit of charm to it. This one is set in the Wild West and one of the characters has a cat that distracts people, how can it not be good? The game has gone gold and releases in the middle of June.

Continuing on with the western theme is Weird West developed by people from Arkane Studios that made their own new team. That should be enough to get anyone's attention. From interviews, they grew tired of the AAA limitations. I can't wait to see what they come up with when the shackles are taken off with a top-down isometric immersive sim.

Gamedec will be amazing if it delivers even halfway on its goal. You play a detective that solves crimes in basically MMO games. Each of the scenarios has been played through via old-school pen-and-paper to come up with several different avenues to solve the crimes.

12 Minutes looks like a short-but-sweet Groundhog Day type game. Hopefully it's only like $10 or so.

Gloomhaven is a great co-op RPG board game and there's a digital version that's in Early Access that currently only allows for the combat scenarios right now. I'm waiting for the full version release with the campaign. The board game itself is great but there's a good amount of setup and housekeeping that a digital version can handle all of that automatically. You kinda need a companion app (Gloomhaven Helper) to play the board game as it can keep track of enemy health and enemy attacks and whatnot. The video game itself is a tactical RPG on a hex grid that uses cards for your moves and attacks; it does have fully modeled characters, animations, and all that so it's not just a digitized board game but a full-on video game. It's ever-so-slightly like Slay the Spire with regards to using a card deck for attacks as board games have been doing stuff like this for awhile now.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Continuing on with the western theme is Weird West developed by people from Arkane Studios that made their own new team. That should be enough to get anyone's attention. From interviews, they grew tired of the AAA limitations. I can't wait to see what they come up with when the shackles are taken off with a top-down isometric immersive sim.

Gamedec will be amazing if it delivers even halfway on its goal. You play a detective that solves crimes in basically MMO games. Each of the scenarios has been played through via old-school pen-and-paper to come up with several different avenues to solve the crimes.
Color me interested in Weird West and Gamedec. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes on those, although both of them have pit falls for me. I tend to find the wild west type games boring, but in Weird West if they can keep it interesting with weird stuff and even extend that to player characters, letting you go beyond gunslinger then I think they will have my money. Gamedec just looks really cool but the main cyberpunk series that I really got into game wise was the Shadow Run games and I think thats because its both high tech and fantasy so you kinda get the best of both so you end up with interesting races and tech and magic.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Color me interested in Weird West and Gamedec. I'll certainly be keeping my eyes on those, although both of them have pit falls for me. I tend to find the wild west type games boring, but in Weird West if they can keep it interesting with weird stuff and even extend that to player characters, letting you go beyond gunslinger then I think they will have my money. Gamedec just looks really cool but the main cyberpunk series that I really got into game wise was the Shadow Run games and I think thats because its both high tech and fantasy so you kinda get the best of both so you end up with interesting races and tech and magic.
I'm actually not a fan of the western, I find them really boring, but I don't dislike the concept of them. The Desperados game should be lighter and more charming than what you think of as a western. I'm guessing Weird West will sorta be like Dishonored's Dunwall where it mixes elements together to make something new and interesting. I think Gamedec is from a new dev so I don't have lots of confidence in the game but the concept is amazing. Disco Elysium was from a rather unknown dev (I think) so you never know. I still need to get into the Shadowruns, I bought the first game and Dragonfall, I definitely want to play Dragonfall as I heard it's the best one. I'm currently majorly sucked into Divinity 2 at the moment.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Jet Lancer looks like Luftrausers with a colour pallette and... basically extra everything. And I gotta say, that has me excited. I got every ship in Luftrausers and had a fun time doing it. Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Also, that skull and plane icon is absolutely wicked

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I still need to get into the Shadowruns, I bought the first game and Dragonfall, I definitely want to play Dragonfall as I heard it's the best one. I'm currently majorly sucked into Divinity 2 at the moment.
Oh man, I loved Shadow Run Dragonfall, Hong Kong was great also but I think the story was a bit better for Dragonfall, although the game played better in Hong Kong.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Jet Lancer looks like Luftrausers with a colour pallette and... basically extra everything. And I gotta say, that has me excited. I got every ship in Luftrausers and had a fun time doing it. Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Also, that skull and plane icon is absolutely wicked
Jet Lancer just released today and so far its really cool. Its got really satisfying combat, a fun story/characters and really good controls, plus the aesthetic is fantastic.