Indie Mecha Combat Game Hawken Looks Incredible

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I prefer western mecha, but I also prefer huge and plodding MW2 style mechs.

dead_but_smiling

Apr 14, 2009
It would be great if the devs put some customization options for the config files regarding speed, so that players could play something more erratic and jittery if they prefer, or get some heavy mech action at a slower pace. I wouldn't like to play a large-mech game with machines that behave like Counter Strike chars.

That said, the trailer's visuals are positively mindblowing and I'm holding my fingers crossed for Adhesive Games.

ToastedEngineer

Oct 27, 2010
This looks brilliant, I'll defiantly be keeping an eye out.
It reminds me a lot of the Heavy Gear games, hopefully unlike Heavy Gear you won't need three arms to work the controls.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Megacherv said:
Wow...if these guys had made Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight, it might've been, you know, good
It is very sad when the best Gundam games are the Dynasty Warriors ones. So much gaming potential in that IP...

I'll check this out, but probably won't spend more than $15 on it.
Hey! Federation Vs. Zeon, Zeonic Front, Encounters in Space, and Zeta vs Gundam were bloody awesome.

Gundam games used to be great, what the hell happened?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
IndianaJonny said:
Hmmm, looks like I might still have to wait a bit for a spiritual successor to Mechwarrior.
Do you like multi-player? Do you have a Crysis worthy PC? Do you own Crysis Wars? If you do download yourself Mechwarrior: Living Legends. It's a free mod so Harmony Gold can go fuck themselves. It has the Warhammer and plans to add the Marauder!

Not my cup of tea, I prefer giant mechs, these ones seem too small, too agile and way too jumpy. Beautiful setting though, but it looks like just another FPS (with jetpacks) in gameplay

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Anyone remember Phantom Crash on the original Xbox? Arcade-y arena mech shooter, and I loved it. I think this is channelling the spirit of its hi-def successor. this makes me very happy ^_^

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Sure, why not. Looks nice.

However, it is rather on the brown side. With occasional splashes of grey.

Mitsozuka

Dec 6, 2007
Holy crap sandwich!!! It's like MechWarrior if MechWarrior games didn't suck exhaust!

Thanks for the post OP, I'll have my ear to the ground on this one for sure!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Its remind me the Xbox game "Phantom Crash" (since that game also took plave in a urban environment) which is a good thing since I adore that game.

banthesun

Apr 15, 2009
DaHero said:
A lot of the motions didn't look like mech motions...if anything, as of right now, it feels like it's just a reskinned FPS. Mechs will need to FEEL like mechs, not retextured footsoldiers. That's really the only thing that sticks out.
That was excactly what I was thinking. The mechs need a sense of weight. I personally like the fast moving Eastern mechs more than the lumbering Western mechs (though they're still pretty cool), but there needs to be momentum behind their movements. It's simple physics: if there's weight, there's momentum. This would be as easy as adding a slight delay before every movement and throttle controls for flight. This and a few other changes would be enough to make the games more dramatic and (pseudo-)realistic.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
banthesun said:
DaHero said:
A lot of the motions didn't look like mech motions...if anything, as of right now, it feels like it's just a reskinned FPS. Mechs will need to FEEL like mechs, not retextured footsoldiers. That's really the only thing that sticks out.
That was excactly what I was thinking. The mechs need a sense of weight. I personally like the fast moving Eastern mechs more than the lumbering Western mechs (though they're still pretty cool), but there needs to be momentum behind their movements. It's simple physics: if there's weight, there's momentum. This would be as easy as adding a slight delay before every movement and throttle controls for flight. This and a few other changes would be enough to make the games more dramatic and (pseudo-)realistic.
I would say logical, not pseudo-realistic. Either way your point stands. Games need to have a sense of logic to them or else they just fall into the world of semi-realism that I've come to hate in FPS games. If it's off the reservation like Unreal Tournament then I expect it to logically be insane. On the flip side, if it looks realistic then it should logically be realistic like Arma2. Don't feed me this half way crap like the CoD or Battlefield series.