Indie RPG Cosmic Star Heroine Coming to PS4/Vita "Next Year"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Indie RPG Cosmic Star Heroine Coming to PS4/Vita "Next Year"

Zeboyd Games is planning a Kickstarter to fund the development of Cosmic Star Heroine.

Cosmic Star Heroine, a sci-fi JRPG being made to emulate the 16-bit titles of the 1990s. Now, in a move that's sure to excite PlayStation devotees and role-playing fans alike, the developer has confirmed that the new game will be coming to PS4 and Vita "next year."

The announcement comes with a bit of a catch, however. Despite Zeboyd already having an agreement to bring Cosmic Star Heroine to PlayStation platforms, its still needs money to make actually make it. In turn, Zeboyd's two man team is planning to launch a "Kickstarter to raise needed development funds to make Cosmic Star Heroine the best 'Shoulda been released in the 90s' RPG ever." This being the case, Zeboyd has been able to leverage its relationship with Sony to offer potential contributors some PlayStation-centric perks. "Thanks to the good people at Sony, we'll be able to offer cross-buy (buy once, get both versions!) PS4/Vita PSN codes for Cosmic Star Heroine at the low reward tier of $10," said lead designer Robert Boyd.

Claiming inspiration from titles like Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star and Suikoden, it will follow the adventure of Alyssa L'Salle, a secret agent that's betrayed by her own organization when she discovers a conspiracy brewing within the galactic government. Revealed publicly as a spy she has to fight off "every villainous organization she's ever crossed" while also trying to save the galaxy. Just based on how the game's been described so far, it already sounds like something retro fans will probably love. That in mind, here's hoping those same fans will be enough to carry the game across the finish line when its Kickstarter launches later this year.

Source: PlayStation Blog

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Is this a Sony exclusive or will it be gracing PCs too? Zeboyd have made some really fun games, plus my netbook can usually run them which is nice. But if it's only coming out on Playstations I'll have to miss out.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
I'm...mildly stunned. There's a Sony approved ad out on YouTube for the game and they've admitted publicly they don't have the money to make the game yet.

These guys are awfully confident that their Kickstarter will succeed and I'm not just talking about Zeboyd here. Sony's going to have considerable mud on its face if this game doesn't happen.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Is this a Sony exclusive or will it be gracing PCs too? Zeboyd have made some really fun games, plus my netbook can usually run them which is nice. But if it's only coming out on Playstations I'll have to miss out.
Apparently it will be using the Unity engine so I wouldn't put it past them...That said, Sony can be a douche just as much as Microsoft so I would just wait and see.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Living Contradiction said:
I'm...mildly stunned. There's a Sony approved ad out on YouTube for the game and they've admitted publicly they don't have the money to make the game yet.

These guys are awfully confident that their Kickstarter will succeed and I'm not just talking about Zeboyd here. Sony's going to have considerable mud on its face if this game doesn't happen.
I think this is what Sony sees as the beauty of their indie games strategy. It's phenomenally low cost and if any problems actually do arise they can probably just throw money at it to go away. They don't want to fund every project but I imagine that they wouldn't mind throwing a couple of 100,000 in (for a tighter contract) for a game they've already run advertising on.

(And their original contracts with these guys are ridiculously loose. For example, they only made Jonathon Blow sign anything at all when they wanted to put him front and centre of their release announcement. And even then it was only a timed exclusive and even the timed exclusive was only about the Wii U and Xbox, he can still launch PC whenever he wants)

Plus they've advertised his kickstarter on the PS blog. It's definitely got a big chance of working out

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
According to Robert Boyds twitter (the lead designer of the 2 man crew), it will be coming out on PC, Mac, Vita and PS4.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
God damn, that Saxophone!! I think I'm wet.

If the music in this game is ANYTHING like the music I just listened to, then count me in. I don't even care what it's about, the music is good enough for me.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Awesome, I loved the hell out of Breath of Death 7 and Cthulhu Saves the World, so I'll definitely be grabbing this one. Hopefully the kickstarter goes well.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Hey, if the Kickstarter fails (it won't) then they can just use the money they've saved from previous projects instead of asking fans to pay their bills for a little while.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
ticklefist said:
Hey, if the Kickstarter fails (it won't) then they can just use the money they've saved from previous projects instead of asking fans to pay their bills for a little while.
This is there full time job. Robert has said before that the money from a previous game funds the next game. PARSPOD 4 didn't sell very well, thus other funding is necessary.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
It kind of makes me think of the Scott Pilgrim Versus the World game. Probably due to the art style.

I think I'll keep my eyes out for that one. It is claiming inspiration from Chrono Trigger and Suikoden after all. Those were some good games. And since PSN will have an indie section, it should be pretty easy to find. Just wonder which system I will bother playing it on. Don't have a Vita, but I may get one by that time.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Eric the Orange said:
CriticalMiss said:
According to Robert Boyds twitter (the lead designer of the 2 man crew), it will be coming out on PC, Mac, Vita and PS4.
Thanks for that, the day is saved (and smells faintly of citrus)! I'll be avidly awaiting the Steam release.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Eric the Orange said:
CriticalMiss said:
Thanks for that, the day is saved (and smells faintly of citrus)! I'll be avidly awaiting the Steam release.
Sounds like Wii/Wii U and Xbox gamers will be missing out on a great game =(.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Sounds like Wii/Wii U and Xbox gamers will be missing out on a great game =(.
Probably not, Sony have being super lenient with the contracts they've been giving out. I imagine that if you don't mind waiting 6 months/a year it'll eventually come to the Xbox.

But on a more serious noteif people really care about indie games, they're probably going to face disappointment for a bit if they choose to buy an Xbox (at least for the launch year). Arstechnica did a count of all the various announced titles for the consoles so far and Microsoft had announced a whopping 5 indie games and Sony had announced 24. And that was before this latest spree of announcements, so that's not even including this game.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/by-the-numbers-next-generation-console-software-showdown/