Indie Studio Takes X-Com Into Its Own Hands With Xenonauts

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
AC10 said:
I found it, UFO: Alien Invasion. Free and open source; is unrelated to the "UFO" games development wise.

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/News
Ooooh, not seen that one.

Xenowar is one of the ones I was thinking of, as was OpenXcom.

Xennon

Apr 24, 2004
This game will be terrible like all the other 'spiritual successors' to the X-Com games.

At the end of the day, X-Com was awesome, but it was done and the same thing done again won't be awesome anymore. For the same reason that the official X-Com games couldn't just keep releasing the same game over and over again after Terror From The Deep they had to do something new. I liked apocalypse. Changed just enough to make it interesting again. After that I LOVED interceptor cause I loved the idea that I would get to use the tech I researched directly!

They were going to go FPS after Interceptor anyway (so you got to use your tech in the first person) with X-Com Alliance but sadly that got shut down.

Remaking games rarely works. They were successful once for a reason but it is hard to repeat that. People who are crazy X-Com fans (not that many anymore) will buy this. They will play for about 3 hours and then go 'Oh yeh, this game was pretty good back then.... bored now' and that will be that.

Sad but true :-(

P.S And yes, as others have said its been done with UFO:AI, OpenXCom and http://ufo.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/ (and probably many many others).

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I'd be happy if someone made a 1:1 replica of the original X-COM, Terror from the Deep, minus the hangups, with better graphics and without the game-breaking molecular control.

Also a replay feature where you can replay a mission from the first person view of any marine would be a big plus.

Someone do it, plz.

Winston Biggleswade

May 10, 2011
I'm quite annoyed that the company will charge $30 for a pre-order of a game which they are only remaking...

However I shall still buy it as I am a huge Xcom fan.

92Sierra

Oct 12, 2009
There is a sick amount of X-Com remakes by indie developers and fans. I am really just waiting for the first one to come out. Some of them are taking longer than Duke Nukem Forever to be released.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I hope this game also brings new gameplay mechanics to the table, because for a 1:1 remake I can also just stick with the original. GFX alone are not such a big deal.

I hope this title will be good, because the genre is sadly dying.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Indie developers have been a blessing for PC gaming in the past few years.

Indie + Steam = Win.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
This looks sick. The only thing that holds X-com back in the modern world is graphics, and it's just been dealt with.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I never played any of the Xcom games and have been curious about them for a long time. Maybe I'll check this out as a way to dip my toes into the water.

And for the record, I think the new Xcom looks awesome. I can understand the fan's frustration at it essentially not having anything to do with it's namesake, but you were probably never going to get a "proper" sequel regardless of whether the FPS version was made or not.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
My favorite was X-Com Apocalypse, by far. This just makes me want to fire up my copy on Steam and kill some aliens/time.

I love the earlier comment that it 'looks like a browser game'. As if that means much of anything anymore, given the runaway success of plenty of browser games.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
As long as it doesn't have a horribly glitched tech tree and minimizes the WILD disparity in psi-strength scores (that you're only able to discover halfway through the game) then it might be interesting. Original X-Com and TFTD were amazing (other than afore-mentioned flaws).

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
The game considering the age we live in couldve been a tad better looking i think. Still gameplay wins over graphics and ive always wanted to try this game.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
"Xenonauts"
WAHT?!
"XENO-" combining form of Greek xénos stranger, guest (noun); alien, foreign, strange (adj.);

"-NAUT" from Greek nautēs sailor.
How does that work out?

It's like some dirty joke that the X-COM away team would make about the scientist responsible for the alien pathology reports.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Zomg omg omg omg omg *squeal*

As a massive xcom fan who STILL plays the original from time to time (with ufo extender it has aged graciously) this is the biggest gaming news of the decade behind duke nukem forever coming out.

Now I pray to all the gods they don't mess it up or one of their "innovations" doesn't turn out to be a case of "wtf did they mess with a winning formula?"

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
They won't be the first nor the last Indy developer to sit up and say, "You know what? X-Com was *AWESOME*, lets bring it to the current century." There's a lot of "spiritual successors" out there [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM#Spiritual_successors], the end product usually either fails to capture the appeal of the original game or never gets released. But I'm wishing them luck nonetheless.

I think the trouble is that the original X-Com did everything perfect, so perfect that X-Com 2: Terror From The Deep and X-Com 3: Apocalypse both failed to capture the original appeal. If you flat out copy X-Com to the level needed to capture that appeal, somebody's liable to cry, "foul" for obvious plagiarism. However, if you deviate, there goes the whole appeal you were hoping to capture in the first place.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
SachielOne said:
You know, the plasma blast to the face is actually the best scenario. Turning the corner to run smack into a Chyssalid without enough AP left to get a shot off was always FAR worse.
Prime Plasma Grenade. Time 0 turns. Goodbye squadie

Hmm, maybe I won't buy a 3DS just to play Ghost Recon now.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
octafish said:
SachielOne said:
You know, the plasma blast to the face is actually the best scenario. Turning the corner to run smack into a Chyssalid without enough AP left to get a shot off was always FAR worse.
Prime Plasma Grenade. Time 0 turns. Goodbye squadie

Hmm, maybe I won't buy a 3DS just to play Ghost Recon now.
Chryssalid, four trooper fire team, no APs.

The rest of the unit vaporized a gas station with Heavy Plasmas and Blaster bombs cleaning up THAT mess.

On a thread note, very much 'yay!' for this game, I saw it maybe a year back I think and I'm glad that they're still working on it.