Industry Creates "Gamers Heart Japan" To Aid Disaster Relief

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Jumplion said:
While I know this is going to sound cruel, Japan is more important to the world than Libya. They have more political, economic, social, and technological relevance than Libya has, and it'd be stupid to not help then in their time of need as this effects everybody at least in the developed countries.
This I can agree with.

However, I think you're becoming a bit confused with my message- I'm not talking in terms of socio-economic leverage and effect on the west here, I'm talking about the humanitarian need. Of course we need to make sure Japan keeps afloat and the rebuilding effort goes well; however, in terms of immediate humanitarian need, Libya is the higher priority.

Libya is just Libya, another unstable African country that will probably fall back into instability after the revolution occurs.
Again, you're speaking in political terms. I'm not thinking about politics here, I'm thinking about civilians and people. The outcome of the revolution isn't something I care too much about right now, it's the thousands of injured and wounded people, the ongoing massacres that we have reason to believe are still occurring; not to mention the three hundred-thousand or so refugees that are in ramshackle camps on the border.

Of course, you can't take either situation and say "Libya one is worse, sorry Japan!" because they're both equally terrible.
The overwhelming majority of the people who will die as a result of the Japanese tsunami have already died. The other few who are at risk are people suffering from malnutrition and the biting cold, with a lack of housing. Japan, being an immensely developed nation, is distributing aid to all who need it as we speak- it has the infrastructure and capability to handle this, along with the help other Governments have already provided.

Libya is a poor nation, in comparison to Japan. It's infrastructure has went kaput. Currently, civilians are being shot by snipers and attacked by nervous soldiers. Mercenaries are being brought in to attempt to quash the uprising, massacring crowds indiscriminately in an attempt to get their paychecks. Morgues are flooded with corpses, their spines snapped in half by machine gun fire. Hospitals are filled with wounded, burnt, and dying civilians.

Which one is in the need of the greatest humanitarian support right now?

And note that when I say "humanitarian support" I'm not even talking about Governments here; private organizations and charities like the aforementioned Red Cross. I just want people to realise that Japan is handling the crisis impeccably, and their people are handling fine (mostly). Can we say the same about Libya?

But I'm pretty sure, in the back of your mind, that you know why we're helping Japan first and foremost. It's just how it is.
And I'll repeat once more- I'm not talking about politics here, I'm talking about humanitarian need.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
This I can agree with.

However, I think you're becoming a bit confused with my message- I'm not talking in terms of socio-economic leverage and effect on the west here, I'm talking about the humanitarian need. Of course we need to make sure Japan keeps afloat and the rebuilding effort goes well; however, in terms of immediate humanitarian need, Libya is the higher priority.
Eh, depends. While I know this is a cheap shot and/or a loaded question, can you really say that this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhV8QuzH1ko&NR=1] doesn't deserve as much humanitarian aid as Libya? It's pretty scary, in all honesty.

You can't say "This place needs more humanitarian aid" without delving into the socio-economic and politicals reasons behind the humanitarian aid. Again, as cruel as this sounds, we'd love to help prevent genocides in Africa and whatnot, but it's just not to our benefit, at least immediately.

Again, you're speaking in political terms. I'm not thinking about politics here, I'm thinking about civilians and people. The outcome of the revolution isn't something I care too much about right now, it's the thousands of injured and wounded people, the ongoing massacres that we have reason to believe are still occurring; not to mention the three hundred-thousand or so refugees that are in ramshackle camps on the border.
So, if I understand correctly, essentially you're saying that we should do the "morally right" thing (because what really is "morally right"?) rather than the "politically sensible" thing? Just as clarification, I think that's what you're going for.

The overwhelming majority of the people who will die as a result of the Japanese tsunami have already died. The other few who are at risk are people suffering from malnutrition and the biting cold, with a lack of housing. Japan, being an immensely developed nation, is distributing aid to all who need it as we speak- it has the infrastructure and capability to handle this, along with the help other Governments have already provided.

Libya is a poor nation, in comparison to Japan. It's infrastructure has went kaput. Currently, civilians are being shot by snipers and attacked by nervous soldiers. Mercenaries are being brought in to attempt to quash the uprising, massacring crowds indiscriminately in an attempt to get their paychecks. Morgues are flooded with corpses, their spines snapped in half by machine gun fire. Hospitals are filled with wounded, burnt, and dying civilians.

Which one is in the need of the greatest humanitarian support right now?
I find that needlessly cruel, in all honesty (which I'm sure could be seen as hypocritical of me, I'm sure) and your bias is clear here. I could easily paint Japan's situation as "worse" with the right wording, that doesn't make it so. Radiation levels could, if not handled properly, can affect more people than just in the Japanese island, the devastation has not ended after the tsunami/earthquake. They're both equally terrible situations, and while I know you're not going for politics here, that's a key component into who gets what here that is unavoidable.

And note that when I say "humanitarian support" I'm not even talking about Governments here; private organizations and charities like the aforementioned Red Cross. I just want people to realize that Japan is handling the crisis impeccably, and their people are handling fine (mostly). Can we say the same about Libya?
Private organizations I can understand, that doesn't (totally) fall into political and economic ties that government agencies fall into.

And I'll repeat once more- I'm not talking about politics here, I'm talking about humanitarian need.
And again, you can't really get much humanitarian aid if it's just not worth it :S If there was a "I dunno" shrug emote I'd give that to you.

It's a sticky situation. Do you send humanitarian aid to those who have a more direct impact on the world economy to protect the world's economic interest and whatnot, or do you send aid to those who need help because it's the morally "right" thing to do?

As much as we'd love to, we can't be in two places at once. It's an admirable, if naive, belief that I wish we could go with. But this is the world, and it's pretty unfair to begin with.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
I can see the logic behind your points, and I respect the thinking beneath them. But I'll cut the eight thousand word post, and address all the concerns raised by just quoting the end of your post. But let me just address one thing before I get into this: Fukushima is under control. It is of concern, but it is not any worse than Three Mile Island. The levels of radiation civilians are being exposed to is the same amount one would be the same you'd get from a Ski trip. As long as they protect themselves for the time being, they'll be fine. The plant's not going to get any worse, it's just a matter of making sure enough water keeps being pumped in, and making sure all power is restored.

Jumplion said:
And again, you can't really get much humanitarian aid if it's just not worth it :S If there was a "I dunno" shrug emote I'd give that to you.
I think the worth is completely subjective. Too some people, saving lives is the highest priority, to others trying to rebuild a large economy to try to avoid bad repercussions is the greater need.

And trust me, I'm an advocate of Realpolitik myself. I understand that there is a need to ensure Japan is fine. However, we should realise Japan can take care of itself very easily- it has the resources, people, and experience to tackle the reconstruction project that lies ahead.

It's a sticky situation. Do you send humanitarian aid to those who have a more direct impact on the world economy to protect the world's economic interest and whatnot
The thing is, it seems if the economical repercussions won't change, regardless of what we do. I think the worst surge and drop in confidence in the Japanese markets has already happened, and the reconstruction costs will be the same. The only thing we could do to help is give some money to Japan to help lower said costs, which I'm all for. But they do have enough in the bank to go it alone- they can handle this. Can the Libyans?

or do you send aid to those who need help because it's the morally "right" thing to do?
My idea about private organizations still stands. I'm not advocating a Government intervention in Libya's humanitarian crisis- I'm just asking people to rethink their attitude on which situation demands more attention.

As much as we'd love to, we can't be in two places at once. It's an admirable, if naive, belief that I wish we could go with. But this is the world, and it's pretty unfair to begin with.
I can understand, and agree to some extent- but maybe there is a solution to this.

As we can all see, Japan's wellbeing is vital to the world's economy- but there is also a lot of death and destruction in Libya that demands looking at. It's a question of people over money, in a sense. The Governments of the world cannot provide humanitarian aid of Libya, as Gadaffi may see it as an(other) act of intervention that may make him (even more) hostile. Private, unaffiliated organizations can help, though.

As I said, I'm not looking for a policy change, I'm talking about a societal change in the perception of the importance of the scenarios. Each has their own warrant for action- each has a channel best suited to committing said action.

What if the Governments of the West were to focus on ensuring Japan's economic wellbeing and the reconstruction efforts are all fine, while the people of the West focus on donating, and dealing with the situation in Libya? Best of both worlds, in a sense.

Sorry for turning this into a speculation post, by the way. :p

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree or whatever. I can't even pretend that I know anything about global politics/economics, so I really don't know what would be the "optimal" solution to either situation.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Some people - gamers and aniome fans - feel a stronger connection and empathy for japan. We've enjoyed their games, their anime, their culture, and liked the things they like, and that makes them 'closer' to us, we care more, and we feel more of an urge to help those we care about, or feel a strong empathy for. Its human nature. If we have £25 to donate, and the choice is spend £5 on five causes that are worthwhile, or £25 on one cause that is worthwhile AND has a personal connection for us, we'll very likely pick the personal donation.

What I find uncomfortable is how some people have been using these outpourings to make attacks on anime and game fans, some going so far as to say us gamers and anime fans do not care about the victims, and that all we care about getting our dose of vidya gaems and animu, and we're silly horrible weeabooo losers (artists on deviantart providing anime style support/comfort art have come in for a LOT of bashing from these people), and 'if your doing it (donating) for the wrong reasons, you shouldn't do it at all.'

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Wow, thanks. Japan will appreciate it. Ishihara won't, but he's crazy.

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
Aku_San said:
As much as I appreciate what they are doing...

Where was all this support when the Tsunami hit South Asia in 2004? How about recently with the Earthquake in Hati? Why are we picking and choosing which countries to give the most aid to? Just because a lot of cool stuff comes from Japan? I don't understand it at all.
In this case its probably because Japan have contributed massive amount to the gaming industry, probably more than any other country. But I do agree with you, I saw some pictures of Haiti the other day and the rubble still hasn't cleared. In japan they have already rebuilt the majority of the roads...