Industry Creates "Gamers Heart Japan" To Aid Disaster Relief

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Industry Creates "Gamers Heart Japan" To Aid Disaster Relief

Game design luminaries and the gaming press are collaborating to produce a special video in support of Japan as it recovers from the earthquake.

Western game design owes a lot to our brethren across the Pacific Ocean. In order to celebrate Japanese culture and ask for donations to the Red Cross to aid the people affected by the disaster, a global initiative in the gaming industry have been working together to produce a 60 minute video called "Gamers Heart Japan." Prominent game designers like Peter Molyneux (Fable), Sid Meier (Civilization) and Cliff Bleszinski (Gears of War) will talk about what they love about Japan, and how much they owe the gaming community there. "Gamers Heart Japan" will air on April 3rd on cable channels G4 (US & Canada), SCI FI Australia, SPACE (Canada) and Musique Plus (Canada) as well as here at The Escapist.

"Gamers Heart Japan" was produced by a joint effort organized across the gaming community, with many videogame websites contributing video production and commentary of our own. The Escapist submitted interviews with our staff - including yours truly - as well as helping videogame developers in the Raleigh-Durham area record their own submissions.

While waiting for the "Gamers Heart Japan" special to be shown on The Escapist next week, check out Twitter feed [http://www.gamersheartjapan.com/].

In case you were interested, here's a list of the game developers and websites contributing to the "Gamers Heart Japan."

Jade Raymond - Ubisoft Toronto - Assassin's Creed/Splinter Cell
Dr. Greg Zeschuk - Bioware - Mass Effect/Dragon Age/Star Wars: The Old Republic
Dr. Ray Muzyka - BioWare - Mass Effect/Dragon Age/Star Wars: The Old Republic
Tim Schafer - Double Fine - Brutal Legend/Costume Quest
Ken Levine - Irrational Games - Bioshock
Cliff Bleszinski - Epic Games - Gears of War
Ted Price - Insomniac Games - Ratchet & Clank/Resistance
Siobhan Reddy - Media Molecule - LittleBig Planet
Maxime Beland - Ubisoft Toronto - Assassin's Creed/Splinter Cell
Todd Howard - Bethesda - Fallout 3/Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Peter Molyneux - Lionhead - Fable
Alex Rigopulos - Harmonix - Rock Band
Robin Hunicke - That Game Company - Flower/Journey
Jenova Chen - That Game Company - Flower/Journey
Evan Wells - Naughty Dog - Uncharted
Ed Boon - NetherRealm Studios - Mortal Kombat
Sid Meier - Firaxis - Civilization

Gametrailers.com
IGN.com
Gamespot.com
GameInformer.com
Joystiq.com
Kotaku.com
Destructoid.com
Elecplay.com
G4tv.com
Reviewsontherun.com
MTV.com
TheEscapistMag.com
Wired.com
Games.Yahoo.com
Wired.com/gaming/
TheECA.com
TotallyRadShow.com
Shacknews.com
EGMNow.com
USAToday.com (GameHunters)
Bitmob.com
TheTorontoSun.com
UGO.com
Metacafe.com
Youtube.com
Facebook.com

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Interesting endeavor, hopefully it goes well.

I can see why The Escapist and the gaming community in general is all for Japan, but people seem to be forgetting the ongoing Libya crisis; Japan's seen the worst, in Libya, things are only just beginning.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
no Valve

hm....

Lord Newell must be working on a secret plan for the greater good of the world

all hail Lord Newell

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
CosmicCommander said:

I can see why The Escapist and the gaming community in general is all for Japan, but people seem to be forgetting the ongoing Libya crisis; Japan's seen the worst, in Libya, things are only just beginning.
Only so much we can do about that that we're not doing already or are not allowed to do. Plus there's a difference between a political cause and a humanitarian one. Once Libya's conflict has ended, people will be there to help rebuild as well :3
OT: this is pretty great, no UK channel though? Shame, internet it is.

Oct 14, 2010
CosmicCommander said:

And don't forget the ongoing crises in Syria and Jordan, and Egypt certainly isn't out of the woods yet, either. There's really too much going on right now.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I find it morbidly fascinating that so many people are coming together to help Japan yet we all tend to ignore other troubles like Libya and other tragic situations.

I don't mean that in a cynical way, I just find it interesting as it shows how Japan hits much closer to home for all of us. The situation there has a deeper impact on the whole world, not just the games industry, and while the stuff going on in, say, Libya are also desperate it does speak how the modern world is connected to each other.

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see what they have to say, though I don't see how talking about it will help (there's the cynic in me). If it'll lead to a donation drive or something, then sure, but wouldn't the money going into production be more helpful? Of course, there is the symbolic meaning behind it, so I guess this is a "it's the thought that counts" kind of thing, which I can totally get behind anyway.

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
teh_Canape said:
no Valve

hm....

all hail Lord Newell
that or he is just finishing off a a bucket form KFC

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
ShenCS said:
Only so much we can do about that that we're not doing already or are not allowed to do. Plus there's a difference between a political cause and a humanitarian one. Once Libya's conflict has ended, people will be there to help rebuild as well :3
It IS a humanitarian crisis. I'd consider potentially thousands being slaughtered and maimed to be a one, anyway. I don't think you really understand what is actually going on when you distinguish Libya from Japan as a "political cause"- civilians who have no part in anything are dying. And despite what you think, people can help out in Libya to try to save lives immediately. Organizations like the Red Cross are on the ground, giving medical aid, making sure people can survive and have a livable quality of life while the crisis is going on. I think saving lives now is more important than rebuilding houses.

Tim Latshaw said:
And don't forget the ongoing crises in Syria and Jordan, and Egypt certainly isn't out of the woods yet, either. There's really too much going on right now.
True that.

Although I'm concerned about Yemen and Syria, and the potential for things to violently escalate there, I believe keeping our immediate concern on Libya is our highest priority- seeing as the death and destruction is far more widespread than other regimes undergoing a "revolution".

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Muco5681 said:
teh_Canape said:
no Valve

hm....

all hail Lord Newell
Yeah... I think he is actually busy delaying Ep. 3. I mean after all, Ep. 3 isnt going to delay itself...

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Muco5681 said:
teh_Canape said:
no Valve

hm....

all hail Lord Newell
shhhh

keep it down

he can hear you

.>

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
CosmicCommander said:
ShenCS said:
It IS a humanitarian crisis. I'd consider potentially thousands being slaughtered and maimed to be a one, anyway. I don't think you really understand what is actually going on when you distinguish Libya from Japan as a "political cause"- civilians who have no part in anything are dying. And despite what you think, people can help out in Libya to try to save lives immediately. Organizations like the Red Cross are on the ground, giving medical aid, making sure people can survive and have a livable quality of life while the crisis is going on. I think saving lives now is more important than rebuilding houses.

Tim Latshaw said:
True that.

Although I'm concerned about Yemen and Syria, and the potential for things to violently escalate there, I believe keeping our immediate concern on Libya is our highest priority- seeing as the death and destruction is far more widespread than other regimes undergoing a "revolution".
While I know this is going to sound cruel, Japan is more important to the world than Libya. They have more political, economic, social, and technological relevance than Libya has, and it'd be stupid to not help then in their time of need as this effects everybody, at least in the developed countries. Libya is just Libya, another unstable African country that will probably fall back into instability after the revolution occurs.

Of course, you can't take either situation and say "Libya one is worse, sorry Japan!" because they're both equally terrible. But I'm pretty sure, in the back of your mind, that you know why we're helping Japan first and foremost. It's just how it is.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
CosmicCommander said:

New Zealand, Darfur and fuck knows how many other places. I always consider these things to be a good intention with very dubious reasoning.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
teh_Canape said:
no Valve

hm....

all hail Lord Newell
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=5170&p=1 perhaps?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Delusibeta said:
teh_Canape said:
no Valve

hm....

all hail Lord Newell
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=5170&p=1 perhaps?
yeah I know

but it may all be a masquerade

.>

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
As much as I appreciate what they are doing...

Where was all this support when the Tsunami hit South Asia in 2004? How about recently with the Earthquake in Hati? Why are we picking and choosing which countries to give the most aid to? Just because a lot of cool stuff comes from Japan? I don't understand it at all.