Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Webcomic Contest Now Live!

The Escapist presents its first ever Webcomic Contest!

Beginning today, February 1st, The Escapist will be accepting submitted user-created webcomics and granting one lucky winner a grand prize of a webcomic contract with The Escapist.

If you're an artist, illustrator or talented writer and want to submit a webcomic to The Escapist's Webcomic Contest, click here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/webcomic10] on how to proceed.

The Webcomic Contest will be accepting entries until noon on February 28th. Good luck!

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
If only i could draw!!!! screw i'm going for it anyway. Time that Mr Zepren made a name for himself.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
I can write, but can't draw to save my life.
We have a great community here and there may even be people who can draw and can't write. You never know until you ask. :)

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
I wonder how many people will read the "fine print"?

By participating in this contest, contestants grant Themis Group, Inc. the right to print, publish, broadcast and use worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including, without limitation, the World Wide Web, at any time or times, the contestant's name, as news or for public information and education without additional consideration or compensation. Any entry becomes the property of Themis Group, Inc. and will not be returned. Entrants surrender copyright and all interests therein of their submissions to Themis Group, Inc. with the understanding that the materials may be used for promotional purposes.

A little restrictive - but I suppose it is a way to get something on the resume if you're not going to publish something you want to own the rights to.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
We have a great community here and there may even be people who can draw and can't write. You never know until you ask. :)
I'll check around.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
SmugFrog said:

By participating in this contest, contestants grant Themis Group, Inc. the right to print, publish, broadcast and use worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including, without limitation, the World Wide Web, at any time or times, the contestant's name, as news or for public information and education without additional consideration or compensation. Any entry becomes the property of Themis Group, Inc. and will not be returned. Entrants surrender copyright and all interests therein of their submissions to Themis Group, Inc. with the understanding that the materials may be used for promotional purposes.

A little restrictive - but I suppose it is a way to get something on the resume if you're not going to publish something you want to own the rights to.
Updated: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.171632-Webcomic-Contest-Now-Live#4786993

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
SmugFrog said:

We actually only keep the rights to what you give us. So, that does not mean you can't use your characters or ideas somewhere else if you don't end up being the winner. It only means you can re-publish what you submitted elsewhere. So, it's actually not that restricting at all and we've purposely created these rules to protect us and much as to protect creators and their ideas.

Plus, we aren't looking for ideas, we are looking for people who want to create ideas and then we pay them.
The thing is, every single time you guys do any sort of contest like this that could lead to a creative contract with the company, people still nitpick and seem to think that you guys are trying to scam us. If indeed you were trying to steal people's works and ideas and intellectual properties, surely people like Jon Etheridge, Yahtzee, the LRR team and so on, wouldn't have anything to do with the site? Given that as a company you need to protect your own rights, which is fair enough, I actually get pretty annoyed when I keep seeing people complaining about the 'fine print' in these things.

Anyway, on to the topic at hand. I can't draw, but I happen to be pretty damn good at writing and I do have some decent writing ideas that would work well as a webcomic. Is there anyone out there who may be bad at writing but good at drawing who wants to collaborate with me on this? Let me know by PM or quote if anybody is interested in working with me :D

EDIT: For anyone considering collaborating with me on this, just to inform you, my written idea is a dramatic webcomic, not a comedic one, and is based on a group of characters and their ongoing lives. The story has already been developed by me, so I'll want to work with an artist who can put that dramatic feel across in their art, rather than anyone who works specifically with comedy writing. Thank you :).

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I think some of the best webcomics I've seen were drawn using a mouse in MS Paint. Now, I'm pretty sure that sort of thing would stand no chance of winning or even being considered on a site that's actually got an audience and standards and such, but I might give it a go anyway because... well, why not. I couldn't draw well even if someone held a gun to my head (no, really, I've seen quadruple amputees with more artistic talent than me), but I'd like to think I can structure a joke.

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
It's right fine and civil of Themis Group to not force us to pull a Matt Groening move where we have to make thinly-veiled substitutes for our own creations in a work-for-hire situation, so that's a load off of my mind.
What I do want to know, however, has to do with the No Nudity Clause. Does that count pixelated parts or blurred out bits like the ones Shamus used in his guide strip or the full-'backal' kind that one sees frequently on network TV shows like The Simpsons? I just want to cover my bases here!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Pretty much same here.

Be cool to see what talent can come from this however, always enjoy a good comic!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Damn I would enter but:

1: I lack a scanner and proper software.

2: I can draw but I cant write.

Still, good luck to all the participants.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
TexaNigerian said:
It's right fine and civil of Themis Group to not force us to pull a Matt Groening move where we have to make thinly-veiled substitutes for our own creations in a work-for-hire situation, so that's a load off of my mind.
What I do want to know, however, has to do with the No Nudity Clause. Does that count pixelated parts or blurred out bits like the ones Shamus used in his guide strip or the full-'backal' kind that one sees frequently on network TV shows like The Simpsons? I just want to cover my bases here!
Yes, pixelated out is fine.

Dudemeister said:
Spinwhiz said:
Webcomic Contest Now Live!
In the terms of the competition, it says we have to submit four images. Does that mean four comic strips?
The Far Side comics were usually single frame comic strips, where Stolen Pixels [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/7097-Stolen-Pixels-164-Rollie-the-Roleplayer], each one of Shamus's comics would be considered 1 image, yet it's multiple frames. We want 4 of those, which in turn would give us 4 pages of content. :)

Zemalac

Apr 22, 2008
It doesn't say anything about this in the contest rules, but from the comments I gather that a comic created by more than one person is okay? I'm asking because it seems it would have to be submitted by only one of the creators.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Does anyone know any good drawing software that would be good for this? something not too complicated of course :D

If failing this, i'm jumping on the "Who needs a writer?" band-wagon. I have two ideas jotted down so far :p

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Souplex said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
The Escapist is full of art monkeys, contract one.
hmm...Who needs a writer?
No idea, I'm after an artist myself. I have a full idea and an ongoing plotline already, that's been in development for over a year and a half. I was originally going to write it as a novel but decided it would be better in a visual format. Anyway, I really need an artist now who can draw decent drama and not simply comedy...