Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Matt Smith

Feb 17, 2010
Hello there, folks! I've been scooting through the pages of the Escapist for ages now, but never registered an account; the webcomic contest prompted me to rectify this, and I've just now submitted my entry. It's been enormous fun to do, and I shall be intrigued to see what everyone else has come up with. Exciting stuff, this!

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
Read about this nearly a month ago.

Started working on my submissions two days ago, as per usual.

Anyway, I've a question. One of my submissions is stylistically akin to Penny Arcade's "We're right awards," that is, it's not technically a comic strip. Is it a valid entry?

for reference: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/12/28/

edit: oh, and good luck everyone

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
HyenaThePirate said:
Oh THIS SUCKS!!!!
I never saw this!! I've been working on a webcomic idea for a few months now, planning it out and such, and I never EVER saw this.. now it's too late.. no way I can have anything done for show on Feb 28th. well maybe I can start working on it now and enter into the 2nd Annual Escapist web comic yada yada yada.
I feel you, but it's not too late... I just saw it today and I'm trying to get my four strips done. Two down...

Ritzbot

Feb 12, 2010
It seems to me that telling stories of how long we spent on our comics can be very detrimental to our success. Saying, "I didn't start until yesterday" is like having a big sign on your chest that says, "Procrastinator." Claiming to have worked the entire month and not have something ready may be a sign that the contestant will not be able to produce two comics per week. All I'm going to say is that I had a blast working on this, and I will have my entry in on time no matter what. My reasons for submitting on the last day are my own, but I meet my deadlines.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
Ritzbot said:
It seems to me that telling stories of how long we spent on our comics can be very detrimental to our success. Saying, "I didn't start until yesterday" is like having a big sign on your chest that says, "Procrastinator." Claiming to have worked the entire month and not have something ready may be a sign that the contestant will not be able to produce two comics per week. All I'm going to say is that I had a blast working on this, and I will have my entry in on time no matter what. My reasons for submitting on the last day are my own, but I meet my deadlines.
Chillax, teacher's pet. :p

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
Ritzbot said:
I tend not to worry about things that are detrimental to other people's potential success in competitions I want to win. Just sayin'...

PizzaBagel

Feb 13, 2010
I think there was a glitch while I was uploading my comic. The whole thing crapped out and spat up error code. When I tried to re-upload, it said that it had already received my comics. Has anyone else had this problem? I've already sent some messages to the appropriate admins, but since the deadline is less than 24 hours away, I'm quite anxious to get a response.

Flusteredly yours,

PizzaBagel

Ritzbot

Feb 12, 2010
I'm just saying that since the prize is a contract with the Escapist, I don't want to see a really cool comic get turned down because the cartoonist admitted to being a slacker. I want to win, of course, but I want it to be a fair competition even more.

Io-T

Feb 26, 2010
Ritzbot said:
I'm just saying that since the prize is a contract with the Escapist, I don't want to see a really cool comic get turned down because the cartoonist admitted to being a slacker. I want to win, of course, but I want it to be a fair competition even more.
I think that if a person can procrastinate that much and still produce something worth publishing, more power to 'em. Personally I would kill for more time to make my entry, but as I just found out about this late Thursday night so started on it yesterday despite the odds. Right now I'm furiously trying to get my pages done (All inked, just need to color now).

Secret Idenity Man

Feb 3, 2010
Well to deviate from the hot "procrastination" topic I'll throw my two cents in and announce my finishing and subsequent entering of the competition. It was fun working on it and I learned a lot of things I never knew I could pull off. Of course now I've become a nervous wreck. I hope we don't have to wait until next Sunday to get the results. I want them to take all the time they need to make the best decision, but then again I want this done asap so I can relax a little ^_^".

Best wishes to all who've entered before and will enter after. May the best slacker win!

JackStorage

Feb 3, 2010
Well, I submitted my comic last night. Now I can hyperventilate about the results in peace.

Anyway, good luck to everyone and all that...

I need a paper bag...

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Well. Entry is in. I can now proceed to feel slightly ill until the results are announced.

Good luck everybody.
And by everybody I mean me.

Splatoon

Feb 7, 2010
Just got my submission in, I'd just like to say I'm pumped for the opportunity and wish everyone good luck.

Unfortunately, I got that error message followed by a confirmation glitch which a few other people mentioned, so I was wondering if there is some problem, will I be able to rectify it since I got the submission in before the deadline?

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
I keep getting an error message over and over. Tells me to make sure I uploaded five images. Going to kill everyone. Just kidding I'm totally stable and would be a great asset to the Escapist team!

MAKE IT WORK.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
titankore said:
NpPro93 said:
Splatoon said:
The above entries arrived successfully.

Sonofadiddly said:
I keep getting an error message over and over. Tells me to make sure I uploaded five images. Going to kill everyone. Just kidding I'm totally stable and would be a great asset to the Escapist team!

MAKE IT WORK.
Check your browser settings, and if you have one running, your firewall or other 'internet security' software. If you still can't get it working, PM me (mail icon next to my username) your browser and the version #, what operating system you use, and we'll work from there.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
Steagony said:
Anyway, I've a question. One of my submissions is stylistically akin to Penny Arcade's "We're right awards," that is, it's not technically a comic strip. Is it a valid entry?

Well, I've finished the comics, but this question haunts me.

folmerkelly

Feb 24, 2010
Steagony said:
Steagony said:

Well, I've finished the comics, but this question haunts me.
Well, technically anything you can put into a panel would be a comic strip, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.