Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

pooryohei

Oct 22, 2008
Man, now I have to try and remain calm and collected for like 2 weeks. I don't think I'm capable of such a feat.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
NOOOOOooooo!!! At the very least post the all the comics or something, at least then I will know whether to get my hopes up or not. To keep myself calm Ive been making storyboards for my comic and now I have enough material for a graphic novel. By the time this results come out I'll have stress drawn, colored, scanned, and photoshoped like a 100 panels.

edit: I tend to draw like crazy when I stress, what is everyone else doing to cope?

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
titankore said:
NOOOOOooooo!!! At the very least post the all the comics or something, at least then I will know whether to get my hopes up or not. To keep myself calm Ive been making storyboards for my comic and now I have enough material for a graphic novel. By the time this results come out I'll have stress drawn, colored, scanned, and photoshoped like a 100 panels.

edit: I tend to draw like crazy when I stress, what is everyone else doing to cope?
Played Bioshock 2 for like 4 hours after I got my submissions in and got some sleep. Right now I'm just focusing on the rest of my projects now.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
dude, its a simple comitition, no-ones judging you so chill (people are judging your comics, but not you)

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Well... That's a little longer then I thought I was gonna be waiting...

Guess I'll make some cool things in the meantime...

RetroRobot

Feb 11, 2010
8th March...
:(
Well, ok, that sounds reasonable really. There must have been a lot of entries and a couple of days would be almost impossible to give a fair critique to them all.

Once again, good luck to everyone who entered.
Roll on the 8th March.

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
I wish they post it while they are judging,kind of feels like a dead zone that only the participants of the contest gets to mull over this in the forums for another week.Well,it is probably for the better since it is up to the Escapist people's decision who wins or not and some self righteous competitor might start an uproar using his facebook/myspace ugly mob for a petition for his divine right to win.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Main reason I'm stressing is that I got laid off from my job and now I'm working only 5-6 hours a week at a gas station barely making ends meet, so I really need a job. I love to write and draw and I need flexible hours to go to school so this would be perfect for me.

RetroRobot

Feb 11, 2010
LACKT said:
"I wish they post it while they are judging"...
..."Well,it is probably for the better since it is up to the Escapist people's decision who wins or not and some self righteous competitor might start an uproar using his facebook/myspace ugly mob for a petition for his divine right to win."
Public voting can become a "Who has more Facebook/Myspace chums" fest.
I'd agree that it's better for it to be judged impartially by the staff at escapist.

I feel, however, that if they post up work here before the decision is made they run the risk of someone nicking ideas and posting them elsewhere before they can get the winners comic up and running.

Not accusing people on this fine forum of course, but I'm sure that's a risk they wouldn't want to take!

If they put the work up on here now before deciding on a winner then they run the risk of someone setting up a similar comic to a contest entry on their own site.

It's annoying, but I can see why we're being left in the dark here.

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
RetroRobot said:
LACKT said:
"I wish they post it while they are judging"...
..."Well,it is probably for the better since it is up to the Escapist people's decision who wins or not and some self righteous competitor might start an uproar using his facebook/myspace ugly mob for a petition for his divine right to win."
Public voting can become a "Who has more Facebook/Myspace chums" fest.
I'd agree that it's better for it to be judged impartially by the staff at escapist.

I feel, however, that if they post up work here before the decision is made they run the risk of someone nicking ideas and posting them elsewhere before they can get the winners comic up and running.

Not accusing people on this fine forum of course, but I'm sure that's a risk they wouldn't want to take!

If they put the work up on here now before deciding on a winner then they run the risk of someone setting up a similar comic to a contest entry on their own site.

It's annoying, but I can see why we're being left in the dark here.

All these conspiracies due to all the waiting...My head is reeling.
Anyways,they have unleashed the 1337 to judge upon us!RUN!

RetroRobot

Feb 11, 2010
LACKT said:
Already running!

titankore said:
Main reason I'm stressing is that I got laid off from my job and now I'm working only 5-6 hours a week at a gas station barely making ends meet, so I really need a job. I love to write and draw and I need flexible hours to go to school so this would be perfect for me.
We all want it as bad I assure you. Think everyone is feeling the stress! Just gotta play the waiting game. :(

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
LACKT said:
Ohh no not Spartan 1337 He's one tough mama!!!
There is no running just break out the vodka and watch the fireworks.

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Man,checking out the Judges,non are of the artistic sort...So artists without writers who have joined are DOOMED!DooooooooomMMMmmmMMMMed!Wait,I am an artist,Noooo!

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Wow, I am impressed by those guest star judges. And as much as I'd like to keep my thoughts on my chances of winning at a level where I don't feel devastated if I loose, knowing who's making the picks has just given my confidence about it a major boost.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Man, those guys are awesome. Ryan North is a Canadian God. (Granted, there's not much competition, but still.) Brian may be more well known for unleashing upon us the dreaded monster of sprite comics, but I've seen a sample of Atomic Robo and he's a match to the industry juggernauts. And Shamus... has certainly done a lot of things.

Too bad my artist seems to have gone AWOL, so I think I didn't even join. Eh, c'est la vie.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Don't diss Canada cause their just waiting for the right moment to strike. Someday a huge wave of polite giant mechs will come from the frozen north spreading chaos and maple syrup.

RetroRobot

Feb 11, 2010
titankore said:
Don't diss Canada cause their just waiting for the right moment to strike. Someday a huge wave of polite giant mechs will come from the frozen north spreading chaos and maple syrup.
You're not supposed to mention the "Maple Mechs" or the "Ato-Mounties"...
You'll start Mech War IV...

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Damn,if I only knew who were judging I would have made a strip about a dinosaur,a pixel and a robot discussing games/their job in a bar.