Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
PizzaBagel said:
Does anyone know if I'm allowed to use my entries now that the contest is closed? I don't want to void my entry.
I'm pretty sure that you have to wait till the contest is completely over. It's better to be safe then sorry.

pooryohei

Oct 22, 2008
titankore said:
PizzaBagel said:
Does anyone know if I'm allowed to use my entries now that the contest is closed? I don't want to void my entry.
I'm pretty sure that you have to wait till the contest is completely over. It's better to be safe then sorry.
I agree, I would wait. Plus it's only another week.

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
pooryohei said:
titankore said:
PizzaBagel said:
Yeah. I facepalmed when that guy posted his actual submission in the thread.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
Hey, for those you asking about it, here's what the Official Contest Rules http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/webcomic10 say about how many Winners there will be:

TheEscapist said:
Beginning February 1st, The Escapist will be accepting submitted user-created webcomics and granting one lucky winner a grand prize of a webcomic contract with The Escapist.
TheEscapist said:
After you've created your masterpiece, upload your comic on our site no later than noon ET on February 28th. Winners will be announced the week of March 1st.
TheEscapist said:
Minimum Quality of Entries: If, in the sole determination of the judges, no contest entry is of the quality and standard required for publication on The Escapist, then none of the entrants shall be awarded a contract, and that portion of the prize is waived. All other prizes shall still be delivered.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
I read the rules a few dozen times in order to avoid being disqualified on a technicality and from what I read it sounds like you can't post it until after the winner is announced. I guess its so that way it doesn't influence the judges opinion or something.

http://titankore.newgrounds.com/
I would really appreciate it if someone would leave some comments/reviews on my newgrounds page.

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
well according to the rules there will be one winner, and that winner will get offered a contract. However that being said, thats all they are required to do. They are free to offer contracts, prizes, whatever to whomever they wish. So yea, they can offer a job to other entries if they'd like. In fact if they are really that good, be smart of them to. No reason to let a potentially awesome artist/writer slip away just because their entry was slightly weaker then the winner.

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Only one winner,everyone gets squat,it says "winners" if the submission was a group effort.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
LACKT said:
Only one winner,everyone gets squat,it says "winners" if the submission was a group effort.
Hey, hey, HEY! Did no one read? The rules say "1 GRAND Prize Winner gets a paid contract" and that "Other prizes will be delivered"

So it's looking like 1 of us gets to be the big winner, and a few others get other prizes!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
toadking07 said:
Hey, hey, HEY! Did no one read? The rules say "1 GRAND Prize Winner gets a paid contract" and that "Other prizes will be delivered"

So it's looking like 1 of us gets to be the big winner, and a few others get other prizes!
Maybe. It could also be interpreted as follows: "If you are the best entry (read winner) but you're still not good enough for a contract, then we don't give you the contract. But, we'll still give you your other prizes--like a shiny new badge, announcement as the winner, publication of your comic on the site, and a date with John Madden."

For your statement to be true, it would likely be listed under a Prizes section and not under the Minimum Quality of Entries section. Still, I've got my fingers crossed that you are correct.

Anybody wanna see a little extra stiff Clankenbeard art? Check out a couple quick pics on my wife's Dungeon & Dragons Online podcast. http://www.DDoCocktailHour.com If you play DDo, you should listen to it anyways. Cel shaded cookie cuttah attack!

PizzaBagel

Feb 13, 2010
boybokeh said:
pooryohei said:
titankore said:
PizzaBagel said:
Yeah. I facepalmed when that guy posted his actual submission in the thread.
That's what I figured. Cheers, guys.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
toadking07 said:
LACKT said:

The 'other prizes' are probably four pristine condition comic strips and a logo. Yours to do with as you will!

LACKT

Feb 17, 2010
Knowing about contests,they usually inform the winner days before the announcement...or am I just screwing around with people's minds?

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
LACKT said:
Knowing about contests,they usually inform the winner days before the announcement...or am I just screwing around with people's minds?
They Said they would pick a winner in the week of March 8th so they probably will tell the winner "me" a few days in advance and not tell everyone else until sat or sunday.

Did I mention I'm feeling confident?

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
not for something like this though, atleast I doubt it. Lets be honest most of us would immediately tell everyone we know that we won as soon as possible and I doubt The Escapist wants to risk the name of the winner being leaked before they can announce it

I also hope this because I am still paranoidly worried my e-mail will block such an alert and i couldn't stand even the possiblity that I lost simply because I wasn't aware I won

PizzaBagel

Feb 13, 2010
Obviously I've been dipping in and out of this forum with less than obsessive gusto. When did the date change from the week of March 1st to the week of march 8th?

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
actually I think it was March 1st. they got alot more entries then they expected so they pushed it back

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
PizzaBagel said:
Obviously I've been dipping in and out of this forum with less than obsessive gusto. When did the date change from the week of March 1st to the week of march 8th?
They changed it either the day before or on March 1st when they were literally flooded with entries. Apparently it takes more then 1 week to review over 1,000 comics fairly. I kinda feel sorry for the judges, by the time their done they will think all cakes are lies and have a permanent phobia of the number 9,000. There are probably a lot of other overused jokes they will see and get sick of.

Talthos

Feb 27, 2010
While I will not get into the dynamic of the "gamer comic for gamers but not about gamer lifestyles", I will admit we have a couple guys, some game(s), and in one or two panels we even had a couch. We had other stuff too (including girls), but meh, whatever.

That said, pretty confident that we aren't going to win, based on the judge's blog (sure, one judge out of many, but a peer that I respect). To piggy-back on what PizzaBagel asked, I would like a bit more detail:

The submission said that the rights of the images were granted to the Escapist and their properties. In the event that we do not win, are those rights reversed back to the original creators to utilize the strip in the manner we see fit? As such, if we decide that sans contract, we want to make a go at the comic (bad trope or meme aside) through our own means, are we able to utilize the four initial comics in our lineup?

Legal Stuff

By participating in this contest, contestants grant Themis Group, Inc. the right to print, publish, broadcast and use worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including, without limitation, the World Wide Web, at any time or times, the contestant's name, as news or for public information and education without additional consideration or compensation. Any entry becomes the property of Themis Group, Inc. and will not be returned. Except where otherwise defined by the General Rules of this contest, entrants surrender copyright and all interests therein of their submissions to Themis Group, Inc. with the understanding that the materials may be used for promotional purposes.
The reason this is a little confusing is that Mr. Young stated in his blog how those who do not win could be the ones that go one to make another CAD, Penny Arcade, or XKCD. Our comic submission was written in a manner to be the foundation for the later plot and humor. While it would not be difficult to re-write it, I would not wish to get embroiled in a rights disagreement with my favorite website.

Anyone have illumination on this for me?

Ed.: Nevermind. I guess it was answered on the first page. Perhaps less writing and more reading comprehension for me. Got all starry-eyed by the pages of questions... ah, well. Now to wait anxiously for the 8th.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
titankore said:
LACKT said:
They Said they would pick a winner in the week of March 8th so they probably will tell the winner "me" a few days in advance and not tell everyone else until sat or sunday.

Did I mention I'm feeling confident?
Yeah, you're right. They just sent me an e-mail! I am the winner! I got the prize!

So, yeah, I'm dying to see some of your entries, you guys. Now that the contest is over, why don't you... post them?

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Steagony said:
Yeah, you're right. They just sent me an e-mail! I am the winner! I got the prize!

So, yeah, I'm dying to see some of your entries, you guys. Now that the contest is over, why don't you... post them?
I vote we kick this guys ass for trying to get us to disqualify ourselves.