Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
trbomtnt said:
I'd be happy to throw stuff up on my site, but I would prefer it be rated R ,NC-17 or X, be moderately offensive but creative, and oh yeah ..not shitty! I put up my own pinups and a friends superhero cos-play stuff. http://www.turbomutants.com. Everybody owns there own stuff. put it wherever they want other than here and hopefully promote when they send a comic over. If I win the contest it wont matter cause it only takes a minute to post stuff up anyway.
I wanna meet Poison Ivy...

aeroz

Dec 14, 2008
"Rejected" actually sounds like a good name. Can focus on a whole cabal of webcomic writer and artists rebelling against the corporate dominated interwebs of the future in a bid to bring originality and free thinking back to the masses though entertaining stories and illistrations

trbomtnt

Feb 10, 2010
danieltanure said:
trbomtnt said:
I'd be happy to throw stuff up on my site, but I would prefer it be rated R ,NC-17 or X, be moderately offensive but creative, and oh yeah ..not shitty! I put up my own pinups and a friends superhero cos-play stuff. http://www.turbomutants.com. Everybody owns there own stuff. put it wherever they want other than here and hopefully promote when they send a comic over. If I win the contest it wont matter cause it only takes a minute to post stuff up anyway.
I wanna meet Poison Ivy...
me too friend....me too.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
aeroz said:
"Rejected" actually sounds like a good name. Can focus on a whole cabal of webcomic writer ans artists rebelling against the corporate dominated interwebs of the future in a bid to bring originality and free thinking back to the masses though entertaining stories and illistrations
I don't think rejected is a good idea because that was the name of one of the first widely circulated internet videos, which is an animation by Don Hertzfeldt, so we'd be totally overshadowed by that.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
boybokeh said:
titankore said:
Well if you exclude those that won't want to do it or aren't serious about their comic to begin with you probably are down to 50-100 people. After that you then take out people that will quit or not try and your down to 20-40 people, after that you then take out those that will get pissed about not making money right away and your down to maybe 15-30 if your lucky. By the time we get to that we will be looking for more contributors.
Dude, srsly. Stop with the talk about money. Nobody other than you has mentioned business or money. I'm personally only interested in some pressure-free, lighthearted collab with some of the cool peeps that have been F5ing this thread for the past week and a bit.
I'm just saying alot of people would quite if they didn't make money, but with us all working together it would be a fairly easy do it at your own pace website.
step 1. Make a webcomic you want to make.
step 2. We organize everyone's comics
step 3. ?
step 4. Profit... maybe, possibly, ok at least not losing money.

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
aeroz said:
"Rejected" actually sounds like a good name. Can focus on a whole cabal of webcomic writer and artists rebelling against the corporate dominated interwebs of the future in a bid to bring originality and free thinking back to the masses though entertaining stories and illistrations
Well, if the winner WERE to partake, 'Rejected' may not be entirely accurate. I like 'Escape Artists'... which wouldn't technically be accurate either, but whatever. :)

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
aeroz said:
By the way, if you haven't seen it, you'll never be completely happy in your life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3bVgCRixcU

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
titankore said:
boybokeh said:
titankore said:
Well if you exclude those that won't want to do it or aren't serious about their comic to begin with you probably are down to 50-100 people. After that you then take out people that will quit or not try and your down to 20-40 people, after that you then take out those that will get pissed about not making money right away and your down to maybe 15-30 if your lucky. By the time we get to that we will be looking for more contributors.
Dude, srsly. Stop with the talk about money. Nobody other than you has mentioned business or money. I'm personally only interested in some pressure-free, lighthearted collab with some of the cool peeps that have been F5ing this thread for the past week and a bit.
I'm just saying alot of people would quite if they didn't make money, but with us all working together it would be a fairly easy do it at your own pace website.
step 3. ?
I think the "money" part should only come if and when we all know each other REAL well, because money CAN stir up some assassination attempts.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
titankore said:
boybokeh said:
titankore said:
step 3. ?
I mean, it takes only one sentence to light the fuse: "I don't think i'm getting a fair share of the profits", and variations.

Other common explosive materials include "we should host it in a cheaper server", "we should accept the advertising offer of that other guy" "we should stop THIS merchandise because it ain't selling" etc...

Ritzbot

Feb 12, 2010
If I were to resubmit, I would create a comic called, "Confessions of a Recovering Gamer." It would chronicle how my perceptions of reality have been influenced by my gaming and the stupid things I do as a result.

mynameissqrat

Feb 3, 2010
Well either way I'm game. I've been trying to find a way to submit my own comic for a while. I'm not to concerned with pay either.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
williebaz said:
Are they going to keep coming out with the stolen pixels after the new comic gets approved?
yeah, Stolen Pixels will still keep on going. This is just another comic they're adding.

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
It would be difficult for me to describe how bored the idea of attaching some kind of profit scheme to an otherwise fun and creative activity actually makes me.

Look; I like money. I love money. Not as a means to an end. I just like to hold it and smell it and stuff and put it in a jar and take it for walks with me, but I digress. To talk about money in the same breath as an ad hoc organisation like the one we're hypothesizing is reasonably pointless.

There are two pretty significant reasons why:

1) Devising some kind of mechanism to earn money from this takes time and effort. It doesn't come inherently. That time and effort could be spent doing fun stuff, like, ummm, making comics. I appreciate that you may have "extensive experience running a business", whatever that actually entails, but just discussing this idea in monetary terms is souring it for me... there is no product yet. There is no actual group yet. I honestly don't think anybody who read the thread and the suggestions regarding a comic-jam inferred any kind of commercial aspect to that endeavour. Chill.

2) It would be safest to assume that a sizable chunk of the talent-pool is going to be less-than-stellar. That may very well include me, but I'm not really inclined to get anybody else to foot the bill for something that I don't think deserves it. Sure, somebody may have a crudely rendered, yet ingeniously written masterpiece waiting in the wings, but I'd rather wait and see if that's the case than blindly assume that it is.

Look upon this as a chance to improve your skills, not rake in some rupees.

Eyeshock

Feb 28, 2010
Web hosting cost next to nothing. And unless the market changed since last I checked, the profits of a non existent collaboration is still zero. I only vaguely followed the conversation but it sure seems like there's dozens of more important elements for you to discuss if you are serious about that project.

Personally, if I were you guys I would think about how much trouble you have motivating yourselves. Now imagine motivating others in the same spectrum, to contribute an equal share of effort. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that's what hell is gonna be like for us writers who've suckered an artist to do our bidding.

If you love your characters and you agree they are worthy of a paid contract with an online publication, then I would argue they are also worthy of their own .com without the nightmare of sharing it with others.

Just my two cents. My domain is all ready to go. Just in limbo till I know which bid won.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
boybokeh said:
titankore said:

Edit: I think Shamus would probably be the first to congratulate any Escape rejects that went on to further success.
It was just something he said in his blog, that, wait, I'll quote it directly here...

Shamus said:
I don?t want to miss some undiscovered XKCD because of this sort of thing. I?m reminded of the Penny Arcade story where their comic was rejected by an editor. From the perspective of Gabe & Tycho it was simply another trial to endure, another slope on the way to the summit. But for someone trying to pick a winner it can serve as a cautionary tale. Odds are very good that one of the three hundred and forty five non-winning entries will go on to find some sort of success. They?ll probably do it just to spite me. Their merchandising alone will exceed my household income, and their biggest selling item will be their logo with a ?Rejected by Shamus Young? stamp over it, a satirical jab at my failure to detect their greatness. I?ll be known as the hack who didn?t realize that ?Two Game Designers on a Couch with a Cat? was destined for world-class greatness.

That?s the nightmare I keep having, anyway.
I mean the "Rejected by Shamus" title more as a joke because there are 300+ of us that won't win, so it's bound to happen.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
SCREW THE MONEY WE HAVE RULES~!

wait no, anyways, seriously enough talk about money, how about a site where all the people who don't win can have their comics hosted, bringing in more viewers than if we all went our separate ways? I don't know about a colab comic series, but at least links or separate galleries on a site could be worked out.

Eyeshock

Feb 28, 2010
I hosted a community much like what is being described from the Penny Arcade forums with about 2 dozen artists and it was a nightmare. So from personal experience, you're gonna end up with about 50 artists who aren't updating. Anyone serious about their comic already has plans for it - or will make plans for it if it hits popularity.

I hate to be the stick-in-the-mud fellas but you probably have better ways to spend your time. And there's already three or four web comic communities that already provide this exact service.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
Eyeshock said:
I hosted a community much like what is being described from the Penny Arcade forums with about 2 dozen artists and it was a nightmare. So from personal experience, you're gonna end up with about 50 artists who aren't updating. Anyone serious about their comic already has plans for it - or will make plans for it if it hits popularity.

I hate to be the stick-in-the-mud fellas but you probably have better ways to spend your time. And there's already three or four web comic communities that already provide this exact service.
It couldn't hurt to just create a free blog and whatever happens, happens..

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
I'm not really feeling the need for a separate site, to be honest, or to engage in something long-term. I was sort of expecting to contribute a page and move on with my life. This is something that could happen in a separate thread... I'd probably avoid starting a new site just for this.