Industry Obsessed With "Gay Space Marines," Says Mafia 2 Producer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Industry Obsessed With "Gay Space Marines," Says Mafia 2 Producer

Mafia 2's producer wants to see better stories in games, and thinks that being more inventive with the characters is a good start.

The videogame industry has a number of challenges it must overcome, and Mafia 2 producer Denby Grace thinks he has identified the biggest one. In his view, game makers are using a specific character type a little too often and creating too many games filled with "gay space marines."

The comment was in response to the question of what he thought was the biggest problem that modern games suffered from; a question he said was too general to be able to really answered concisely. His remarks were obviously a little tongue-in-cheek - Grace said that he had been described as an "asshole" in the past - but he probably wasn't being completely facetious, as he also said that one of his hopes for the future was that videogame writing would improve.

Grace isn't the first person to suggest that videogame stories need to improve, and he certainly won't be the last. Mirror's Edge writer Rhianna Pratchett said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92739-Pratchett-Talks-Games] something similar a year ago when she complained that games tried to emulate Hollywood action movies far too much. How important story is varies from person to person, and not everyone is going to share Grace's concerns, but I don't think that anyone would suggest that a little bit more variety in what we play is a bad thing.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/09/17/mafia-2-producer-thinks-the-industry-has-an-obsession-with-gay-space-marines-developer-pop-quiz-5/]

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Hehehe. I like this man. Certainly I agree, I've said it often enough. Why "gay space marines"? Is that cause they very obviously don't seem at all interested in women? I'm just not sure what prompted that part lol.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
brunothepig said:
Hehehe. I like this man. Certainly I agree, I've said it often enough. Why "gay space marines"? Is that cause they very obviously don't seem at all interested in women? I'm just not sure what prompted that part lol.
Think of it like this:

Gears Of War has a lot of 'male bonding' going on.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
Hyper-masculinity doesn't always indicate homosexuality. They could just be conventionally masculine.

hyrulegaybar

Oct 6, 2009
I want to be offended by this, but it's true. But as a gay man, I wish they'd just be overt with it instead of subtle.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Stuff like Gears of War is awesome but too much of it gets on my nerves.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Yeah you tell em Denby, why cant they all be blazing a trail with their revolutionary tales of mafia and gangsters. No-one had heard of the five families before the first Mafia game after all.

The man is a visionary!

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
fleacythesheep said:
Gay space marines are the one thing Mass Effect was missing :p
Which was an insta-buy for me. Other games is just "Meh, here we go again..."

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I think that if he wants game story writers to get more creative, he should first get more creative with his insults...
Seriously? Gay Space Marines? Never heard that one before, suuure.
When he throws in an archaic word, or something that makes his drivel stand out more than anyone else's, then I shall given a damn to him. I shall send him 1 (One) damn. Whatever they look like.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
Time to copy my post from the topic that mentioned this first:

It's rather hard to sodomize your fellow marine through 5 inches of hardened steel.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Gears of War=/=Space Marine.

Space Marine=Halo.

But on a lighter note, is Mafia being sour grapes because their game didn't make $200million in it's first day?
Mafia was a good game, don't make me think less of it by being a douche.

Wodan

Feb 8, 2010
Pipotchi said:
Yeah you tell em Denby, why cant they all be blazing a trail with their revolutionary tales of mafia and gangsters. No-one had heard of the five families before the first Mafia game after all.

The man is a visionary!
yeah I have to agree with this as I was going to basically say the same thing. The man bitches about one unoriginal story/plot device and yet hes the producer of the mafia games... Yeah that's super revolutionary. Man needs to put out an actual game that's original and interesting before he can run around crying about halo and gears of war clones.

Like for example if you were a giraffe on a boat made of cake, on a mission to dominate the high seas of root beer, and hidden chocolate treasures. Make a game like that include an interesting story as well, and you can have the achievement to ***** and moan about other developers and their unoriginality.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Oh, we are going to have a firestorm by the Halo Fans and the Gay Rights activists.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Oh the delicious irony. How I love thee. Now I'm going to go write an original story about an Italian man named Vito who gets an offer he can't refuse.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Valkyrie101 said:
Hyper-masculinity doesn't always indicate homosexuality. They could just be conventionally masculine.
it rather indicates narcissim which is a heavy form of autoerotic homophilia.
(They love themself so much they want to f*** themselves)
or they are just hiding that they have an inferiority complex towards women.

If you have ever been to a workout center you know what I mean.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Bigeyez said:
Oh the delicious irony. How I love thee. Now I'm going to go write an original story about an Italian man named Vito who gets an offer he can't refuse.
Yes, quite delicious... I wonder if Space Marines have a "dont ask, dont tell" policy too...

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Obsession? Really? i thought Gordon Freeman broke that stereotype. Wait till Ep3.you'll see ;)

True to the post #6. It was the selling point for me.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Oh, this again. Ok.
I don't think there are enough gay video game anythings, thank you very much, Mr. Maturity. Besides, we can't *all* work on new, creative games like GTA clone: Mafia edition.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Interestingly enough, I think that an ACTUAL gay space marine, not just a hyper-masculine team member who it's fun to accuse of being gay, could make for an interesting story, maybe even throw it's hat into the ring of debate over homosexuality in the military.

Turn into a shitstorm on XBL though.