Industry Obsessed With "Gay Space Marines," Says Mafia 2 Producer

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
From the guy who made a totally fucking original and never before seen story about a guy named Vito who is in the Mafia.
Sigh.
At least, if this came from Obsidian or Black Isle, I could understand it.
Maybe he's just deliberately making a hypocritical joke?

Also, volition. It's my new favourite word. Sounds cool and it has a cool meaning too.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I think a game about an actually gay space marine would be awesome.

Super effeminant Space Marine Chapter Master ... and he's all like pilotting this Thunderhawk gun Ship and crashes it straight into an Ork Gargant ... bursting through its armour and partly exploding in a hail of shrapnel and smog within the belly of the mechanical beast.

As the smog slowly clears and the orks cease coughing you just suddenly hear ... "Haiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Gaisssssssssssss!!!!" And a huge figure bursting through the smog, decapitating orks left and right with a massive chain sword, and riddling shooty boyz with storm bolter rounds.

That would be FUCKING AWESOME! Goty material. Seriously I'm tired of all the 'For the Emperor!!' ...

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
I don't think these guys have enough of a personality to them to be able to be termed gay. Or anything else that doesn't involve describing a grunting killing-machine musclebag for that matter.

Though that may just be me, and Unreal Tournament was really an elaborate and emotional engaging drama about the psychological effects of hyper-masculine environments and repressed homosexuality. I somehow doubt it though.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
i will agree with most of it except the gay part, thats pretty offensive tbh. i will say tho that Warhammer 40k space marines are the only ones i really like, but they were basically the first (i heard something about marines in star trek, but ive never watched it) and they have so much more personality.

to counter his statement however, i´ll say developers need to move away from the video games that has to do with crime. being an outlaw isnt very fun.

also, ive played Halo for just a couple hours, and as much i hate Halo, Mafia 2´s demo was 50 times more boring.

Radioactive Bob

Jul 12, 2010
100% agree. Now dont get me wrong, i love Halo, Gears of War, Doom, Quake, and all that stuff, but in the end, none of those games have stories that really branch out from "the ugly ones are evil." Mass Effect is an excellent example of the kinds of stories i'd love to see more of in other types of shooters.

Thisbedutch

Apr 23, 2009
fleacythesheep said:
Gay space marines are the one thing Mass Effect was missing :p
Much to my disappointment. I mean, Lady!Shepard can swing both ways, but Dude!Shepard isn't allowed? SAD FACES ALL ROUND.

As it stands though, as someone else said, having an actually homosexual marine PC could make for interesting plots given our current climate.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
What is it with "gays" all of the sudden? [sub]this is probably why Congress doesn't take games seriously[/sub]

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
So... the producer of Mafia 2, which is a carbon copy of The Godfather in every way, shape and form and features some of the least inventive characters I've ever come across is complaining about generic space marines? Pot-kettle much?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Xanadu84 said:
Interestingly enough, I think that an ACTUAL gay space marine, not just a hyper-masculine team member who it's fun to accuse of being gay, could make for an interesting story, maybe even throw it's hat into the ring of debate over homosexuality in the military.

Turn into a shitstorm on XBL though.
Yeah, i wanted to say the same thing. Because A) gay main character in a videogame is a fresh, new, and original idea, B) this could help the cause of "games as art" if handled well, C) from the marketing standpoint, homosexuality is controversial and controversy means money. The only thing standing between this idea and it's realization is indeed XBL crowd.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Christemo said:
i will say tho that Warhammer 40k space marines are the only ones i really like, but they were basically the first (i heard something about marines in star trek, but ive never watched it) and they have so much more personality.
Starship Troopers were first. And i friggin' love mentioning that.

Sorry for the double post, but i needed that quote to show up.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Kollega said:
Christemo said:
i will say tho that Warhammer 40k space marines are the only ones i really like, but they were basically the first (i heard something about marines in star trek, but ive never watched it) and they have so much more personality.
Starship Troopers were first. And i friggin' love mentioning that.

Sorry for the double post, but i needed that quote to show up.
But Starship Troopers was a parody of the US Army ... 40 k is gothic science fantasy.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Here's a original story for ya: Cthulhu and Satan must team up to stop a megalomaniac Jesus Christ from a parallel dimension, in which he wears an eye patch to signify how much more evil he is. And, it will be a puzzle-based game similar to Tetris, but the blocks are replaced with flaming unicorns wearing sunglasses. Progress through 400 levels to defeat Nega-Christ's evil army of space squirrels.

That original enough for ya, Mr. Italian-Immigrant-turn-Mobster-Game?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can totally agree - Charactrs are all the same shade of grey these days...

thethain

Jul 23, 2010
I remember reading an article one time that basically stated part of the reason for space marines being so common is because it is much easier to process shaved heads and metal armor than human fair and organic materials accurately.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
WanderingFool said:
Bigeyez said:
Oh the delicious irony. How I love thee. Now I'm going to go write an original story about an Italian man named Vito who gets an offer he can't refuse.
Yes, quite delicious... I wonder if Space Marines have a "dont ask, dont tell" policy too...
well, that would be verry hard, at least for 40k marines. ( they share sight and experiences, instantly XD ) and get pretymuch purged by fire if they do something the god emperor of man kind would not aprove. or at least the inquisition. -raises shoulders- the ork sollutio is best. all males, no genitals XD, and you get more 'kids' the more badass you are XD ( by spreading spores from your skin )

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
So Halo: Reach is nothing but gay space marines?
Fail Troll.

If anything the industry is obsessed with modern warfare shooters.
He's just sad because he failed to realize that reach was coming out a few weeks after Mafia 2

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
You know, I think we need more, not less, gay Space Marines. I don't speak about the hyper-masculine, brawny, "brothers-in-arms", kind of homoerotic, I mean Space Marines in pink armour using pom-poms of death instead of chainsaws to kick ass and who redecorate interiors with the bowels of their enemies.

[sub]To anyone offended, this was meant as a joke. I'm sorry if it is not your kind of humour.[/sub]

Actually, I think our medium could only profit from a more realistic depiction of homosexual characters.