Industry Obsessed With "Gay Space Marines," Says Mafia 2 Producer

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Hardly the biggest problem. The biggest problem is game developers making bad games and not caring because they think they are genius masters of narrative and immersion.

The Axon Hillock

Sep 4, 2010
It sounds like he was using "gay" to mean "stupid." Common terminology among third graders. I almost feel like boycotting his games because of how immature that kind of use of language is. It's one thing to actually be offensive, it's another entirely to act like snitty teeny-bopper while being offensive.

That being said, I don't think the characters from Gears of War care what people think their sexuality is. They'd murder you before you got a chance to poke fun at them, so its pointless.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Well fine, if that's the way he wants to play. I won't buy his game. There, he just lost a sale. I hope he's happy

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
I like how everyone is ragging on the salad tossing accusation when this entire trolling session was ignited by a man claiming games need more innovation and better story telling, this coming from the man who produced the single most predictable game of the year!

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
Sounds like someone's a little steamed up by how well a certain game recently sold...

Although, I must say, he's right. I'm sick of generic armor dude has to save generic space colony from generic alien menace (why can't the enemy ever be more humans? And perhaps have aliens on the good side?)

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
You tell em', Mr. Did-the-exact-same-Italian-mobster-characters-as-every-other-Mafia-related-form-of-entertainment-ever!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Makes the multiplayer even funnier. Scrawny thirteen year olds playing roided up beefcakes teabagging other roided up beefcakes while offering up homophobic slurs.

"methinks the kid doeth protest too much."

thethain

Jul 23, 2010
You know he could have said "Gray Space Marines" and been accurate and funny, maybe he just missed an R.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
The Axon Hillock said:
It sounds like he was using "gay" to mean "stupid." Common terminology among third graders. I almost feel like boycotting his games because of how immature that kind of use of language is. It's one thing to actually be offensive, it's another entirely to act like snitty teeny-bopper while being offensive.

That being said, I don't think the characters from Gears of War care what people think their sexuality is. They'd murder you before you got a chance to poke fun at them, so its pointless.
You need a reason to boycott his games other than "they're inane shitty copies of games that companies not entirely staffed by failures put out"?

Curtisthekiller

Nov 26, 2008
Christemo said:
nip

to counter his statement however, i'll say developers need to move away from the video games that has to do with crime. being an outlaw isnt very fun.
snip
their are olny so manny random street hookers you can wail on before it gets dull and you kick yourself for wasteing all that useful ammo.

OT: so yeah some guy made a bad joke at the expence of the industry, cant we go back to our "-till Warhammer 40k 'Space Marine' comes out clocks?"

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
The Axon Hillock said:

You can boycott his games simply because they are bad. Generally rubbish, always a rip-off of something else.

OP: His comment doesn't anger me, his arrogance does. Saying you want the best while simultaneously procuring the same nonsense but in a different disguise does not make one great.

There will always be a place for "macho" space marines, even if the industry starts producing games with stellar writing. Those who disagree are those who are deluded to the idea that we live in a civilised world and somehow think Uber-Masculinity = Barbarity.

Quite frankly, I'd say its more immature to think that it's beneath us to enjoy this.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Oh these industry types. Games should be taken seriously! Games are a relevant art form! Excuse me while I devolve into a thirteen year old homophobic xbox LIVEer for an interview!

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Maybe he's been playing DoW II's last Stand with me then:

Yes, that is who I always play as. Yes, it is even funnier when he summons a dreadnought.

I just got tired of everyone with their black armour serious mehreens.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Zeromaxx said:
The Axon Hillock said:

You need a reason to boycott his games other than "they're inane shitty copies of games that companies not entirely staffed by failures put out"?
Actually the first Mafia is widely regarded as a pretty great game, with a really strong narrative. Sorta beat out the GTAs of it's day. But yeah, with that said fuck this guy. We wonder why non-gamers think the entire industry is consistent of immature thirteen year olds.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I don't feel its the space marines fault, lazy writers (sorry halo reach you especially) need to have scripts that don't come off as point to point reasonings for why you're doing and objective.

In all seriousness I've done all there is to do in the halo series and there is no plot there. I know nothing, I tried to think about what the plot is over the course of the games and it just distills into "they are the covenant and we hate those guys". Nothing profound or life changing, but seriously what did they do strip the plot out and sell it as books.