inFAMOUS: Second Son Review - The Good Son

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
inFAMOUS: Second Son Review - The Good Son

Gorgeous and explosive, though a little exhausting.

Read Full Article

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Interesting review Jim, it sounds like I will have a blast with it, especially since I loved the first two games with all my heart.

Although I'm a bit worried about the powers.
It only makes me cringe a little remembering how Deslin's power is to take other powers, I think it is mostly my fault thinking that there will be ten cool looking powers or something.

BUT, there may be expansions in the future hopefully, they may add more powers to that.
That would be nice.

With the repetition, I was used to that from the last few games, so no problem there.

So overall, it looks like I will still have fun.
But the only wish I have is a option to take the beanie off Delsin, it just looks stupid to me.
Other then that, I look forward getting it tomorrow. :p

EDIT: Also, dat "Good son" pun.
[sub][sub]Now I only hope that the electricity power will be in there. Doubt it though. XD[/sub][/sub]

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
This is pretty off-topic, but... why use a 5 point scale when you're going to use fractions anyway? Why not just go for a 10 or 100 point scale?

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I guess this game is the first real reason for me to consider buying a ps4, although I do still want to play infamous 2 first.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Denamic said:
This is pretty off-topic, but... why use a 5 point scale when you're going to use fractions anyway? Why not just go for a 10 or 100 point scale?
I had to kind of bend the star system to my will. It is my hope that we will, indeed, be altering our scale properly in the near future.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
From what I have seen the city looks rather lackluster in a Saints Row 3 sort of way.

At least it does have some key locations imitating Seattle

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
While I liked the first Infamous, Prototype was more entertaining. However, I've yet to play either of the sequels. 2nd son looks pretty damn good but it's not a system seller for me. I'm sure it'll be one of the first games I get but I must still wait until something more appealing comes out.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
It's odd that a game that is meant to push a system gets the equivalent of a pretty average score (3.5 stars is ~70/100). Even more so, that it gets such a score while being 'the best inFamous yet.' The series has always been cast as sub par, yet somehow strangely fulfilling, so it makes more sense in context.

It certainly seems inFamous continues to be one of those games that you just have to play yourself to appreciate.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
Really looking forward to getting my copy. I really enjoyed the first two, so judging by this review I will really love Second Son. The side missions in the past have always been a little repetitive, but then again I can't really think of an open world game where this isn't the case. Can not wait till tomorrow.

Villain Protagonist

Feb 3, 2013
Country
U.S.A.
Just one tiny nitpick Jim. In the first game you play as Cole MacGrath not Nathan Cole. Unless that was a shot at the character being too much like Nathan Drake, which I would disagree with.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I kinda wanted to know how power switching compares to the 2nd one. I really liked being able to switch out all my powers and mixing and matching them whenever and however I wanted. Hearing that you have to find a source for your power and just completely switch out to that ability has me a little concerned. Also, does the user created missions make a come back?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Actually, I think the talk of "visual downgrades" was, thankfully in THIS case... FALSE!

I've been jaded after Aliens: Colonial Marines, Watch Dogs, and Dark Souls.
But... look at this:

(E3 on Top, Retail on Bottom)

To me, it looks BETTER than the E3 build!

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
As a massive fan of the first two games and the fact you thought those meh, but enjoyed this game. Tells me I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this tomorrow.

Good review as always Jim.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Best in the series only garners a 3.5?

The man defends point-scores but makes a joke out of any sort of consistency?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Elfgore said:
As a massive fan of the first two games and the fact you thought those meh, but enjoyed this game. Tells me I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this tomorrow.
That's what I was gonna say.

inFAMOUS 2 kicked ass, so if this one is going to be even better... Hot diggity dog!

Looks like they'll be reusing a couple of assets though, like killing the street musicians, and having conduit enemies that launch themselves into the air by morphing the environment as opposed to giant icicles.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Trishbot said:

(E3 on Top, Retail on Bottom)

To me, it looks BETTER than the E3 build!
Honestly, this doesn't look like a visual downgrade at all, just different TV settings. I can't really see any difference in detail, except that the lower one has a few more lights planted in the background.

Arppis

May 28, 2011
I absolutely loved the first two games. Honestly my favourite series out of last generation (and there were some good ones). So I'm naturally hyped for this game. :)

BillDaCatt

Aug 5, 2009
Thank you Jim for this review. I was considering buying this game. Now I know not to waste my money.

While I like my PS4 a great deal, I hate the touchpad! I want my plain old boring select button back.

For those of you who wish to tell me how awesome the PS4 touchpad is... don't. I don't like the touchpad on my laptop and I bet you don't either. It's barely useful on a laptop, and it's even less useful on a game controller. There are lots of things that Sony does right, but this is not one of them.