Infinity Ward Heads Found New Studio - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Infinity Ward Heads Found New Studio - UPDATED

Electronic Arts [http://www.infinityward.com/], a move Activision claims "comes as no surprise."

The LA Times [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/], and has signed an exclusive distribution deal with the publisher, but in an unusual twist, West and Zampella will retain full ownership of the IP they create.

"Respawn Entertainment marks a fresh start for Jason and me," Zampella said. "For the past decade we led a great development team and poured our hearts into creating an epic game franchise. We're very proud of what we built - and proud that so many millions of fans enjoyed those games. Today we hope to do it all over again - open a new studio, hire a great team, and create brand new games with a new partner, EA."

"Now that the team is in control of the games and brands, we can ensure that the fans are treated as well as they deserve," West added.

West and Zampella formed Infinity Ward after leaving Call of Duty [http://www.2015.com/] franchise it established quickly and decisively shouldered the Medal of Honor series into near irrelevance. "It has a certain irony to it," EA Games President Frank Gibeau admitted. "But the fact that they were in this situation was a stunning opportunity for us."

UPDATE: As reported by Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/12/respawn-entertainment/], Activision has responded to the news of West and Zampella's new venture with the following statement: "This agreement comes as no surprise to Activision given the myriad of improper activities detailed in the cross-complaint filed on Friday against Jason West and Vince Zampella. We look forward to continuing to work with Infinity Ward's deep bench of proven talent on exciting new projects."

That position, of course, dovetails with Activsion's assertions in its lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99852-Activision-Shoots-Back-at-Ex-Infinity-Ward-Leads-UPDATE] that West and Zampella were "scheming" with its closest competitor - that being Electronic Arts - including a "secret trip by private jet" to meet with senior executive, presumably with the intention of jumping ship.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Woot!

EA!

I adore each ever since taking a risk with Mirror's Edge. And even more with this DLC plan.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woot!

EA!

I adore each ever since taking a risk with Mirror's Edge. And even more with this DLC plan.
Agreed. I hope they create something that makes Call Of Duty look foolish.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Nobody saw this happening....oh wait...

Anyhoo if this brings us more brilliant EA smacktalking, then so be it!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
hmmm...

This all seems a little too.. 'convenient' for the two...

Maybe this was all planned in the first place..? Maybe Activision were actually right when they accused them of talking with EA even before they left the company...?

Or maybe I'm just being a conspiracy theorist...?

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Echolocating said:
This probably won't help their court case.
It does indeed make Activisions claims of them basically planning this with EA while still at IW seem more real. Maybe Activision were actually on the right in this whole debacle?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Echolocating said:
This probably won't help their court case.
This is exactly what I thought. I mean, Activision's whole argument was they we're about to do this..

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Well, good for them. Maybe now people will stop complaining about how Activision is such a money grubbing pig now that they don't have to deal with them anymore.

Jun 11, 2008
Simalacrum said:
hmmm...

This all seems a little too.. 'convenient' for the two...

Maybe this was all planned in the first place..? Maybe Activision were actually right when they accused them of talking with EA even before they left the company...?

Or maybe I'm just being a conspiracy theorist...?
I think it was more to do with giving Activision the two fingers after what they did really. Also this has made me giggle lots at the complete and utter irony of it.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
And, in five years, when Respawn make a groundbreaking series entitled "Oscar Mike", EA will screw them over and they will create a new studio under the careful watch of Activision.

Shaun Johnston

Apr 3, 2010
This goes to show that Activision was right to sack these guys. It is to 'convenient' that they ended up working for EA as Activision said they were planning to do. I knew from the start that Activision were telling the truth. No way would you sack the main guys on Infinity Ward without some knowledge of their deceit. These two guys were greedy and trying to do Activision over without a doubt.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Well, well done EA.

I don't know what's going down at Activision, but they're losing the plot.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
History doesn't repeat; it rhymes.

This is kind of hilarious. Interesting to see how this will turn out.

juvemisfit

Neighborhood Psycho
Feb 21, 2008
Pending the Activision trial, this would mean EA would have hands in the 3 biggest FPS franchises. A bit scary for one publisher to have that much power tho.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Like i said in the other thread about this, I wonder if they'll be helping with or taking over bad company from DICE. Thought it does seem like they would rather make an all new franchise.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I look forward to seeing what they come up with. Now if only all the other companies under Activisions control would follow suit.